The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2003 entrée: Nathan Kranzo » » Situational Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2757 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
I would say that this is related to the "Happy Accident" thread but I wanted to include it anyway.

Situational magic can be an effect that is only possible due to the situation, or only makes sense BECAUSE of the situation.

Or, a situation arises and you capitalize on it magically.

Often times the best situational magic is where you don't have to introduce any foreign object into the environment such as cards, or coins, etc.

On the other hand, if somone is playing go fish, and you turn one of the cards into a goldfish....that's very situational.

What does situation magic mean to you? And what effect do you perform that would fit the bill?

Best,

nathan
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
stache
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of stache
Hey nate, a great situational effect would have to be David Acer's Ghost in the Machine. An indifferent card changes into the selection when it is inserted into the dollar slot of a vending machine.

The only problem I have is that I can't find a machine that will take the card in all the way. It is a really cool effect but it IS a card trick so I don't know if it's what you are looking for with your question.

Brandon Burton
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1554 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Situational magic to me means: opportunities that arise during a show in which chances are that it may/may not be repeated at another show with the same jaw dropping response.

One that popped into my head was: When I was performing a sl*** effect at a corporate Christmas party. The corporation turned out to be a famous bottled water company.

The president rushed up on stage when I asked for a glass of water and handed me a bottle. (there was much good natured joking from him as I couldn't possibly do any
"funny business" with the water as it had been sealed.)

I opened it in front of everyone, did the effect and then proceeded to make the water disappear.

I have done this effect many times but what made it stand out is the audience members all worked for the bottled water company! Ha Ha

The example I gave was a pretty lame one.. but I think that's what you may have meant by situational magic. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Smile
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2757 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Perfect example Chrystal! The situation MADE it much stronger.

Best,

Nathan
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
I think one that stands out for me is when a corporate client I was pitching my show to gave me his card, I did a simple rub switch changing it to my card and gave it back...

does that fit the list?

Michael Macdonald
Kostya
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Kostya
Re: card inside vending machine

I could have sworn that was from "Everything is Funnier with Monkeys" by Doc Dixon. Is that wrong? To whom does the credit go to?

I got a chance to perform this effect at a Greyhound bus station, at 4 a.m., somewhere in the middle of Ohio, if I remember correctly. I thought it would be fun to finally do it for someone, and being half out of my mind at that time of night I did it for some random hillbilly kid who was standing by the vending machine.

It was quite entertaining for me. At the end, he didn't say a word and just kind of stared at me, with a "huh" look on his face.

How about this effect as a variation: Spectator picks a card from a red-backed deck. You take the card and insert it into the dollar slot as you press the Pepsi button... when the card comes out it now has a Pepsi back. All you need is a Pepsi deck that sells at most Walgreens...

As far as situational magic goes, I like to perform a routine of mine with peanuts whenever I am at a Logan's or a Roadhouse restaurant or anytime someone is eating peanuts.

-Kostya Kimlat

p.s. Good to see you on the board, Nate. Hope to see you in Florida some time soon.
RyanJonPilling
View Profile
New user
Calgary, AB
35 Posts

Profile of RyanJonPilling
There was a rather large brainstorm through the pages of Half-Baked on Acer's vending machine change concept. Nate was the one that kicked it all off, and some folks went nuts with it... applying it to different card effects, and even taking it out of the card trick world. Very good results.

Kostya... nothing like your Pepsi back idea came up... I like it!

I can't recall any marvellous stories about situational magic I've done lately... but I might add that personally a lot of my patter becomes rather situational... often time improvising the theme (and thus, somewhat, the effect) of a trick around a concept unique to the moment.

(shrugs)

-Ryan Pilling
Playing Big - http://www.PlayingBig.net
A blog for performers about "Making Magic Out Of Tricks"
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2757 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Hi Kostya, and RJP.....

Thanks for stopping by! I might be at Florida state Kostya. Will be a good time.

Best,

Nathan

KranzoMagic.com
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
I had a jumbo Jack of Spades in my sportcoat. I asked a person to name a card they said Jack of Spades. I reached in my pocket and produced the card. Then I took off my jacket to show that I had no other cards. I gave them the jumbo card to remember this forever.
It's Fun to be Fooled
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
On 2003-04-07 19:20, Kostya wrote:
Re: card inside vending machine

I could have sworn that was from "Everything is Funnier with Monkeys" by Doc Dixon. Is that wrong? To whom does the credit go to?

Credit should go to Acer if I remember correctly... he's the creator of it, although I'm not 100% sure where he originally published it.

Howdy Nate... good to see you on here. Can't wait for the new DVD!

And Kostya's peanut effect rocks! Buy his notes and learn it... now!

--Andi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2003 entrée: Nathan Kranzo » » Situational Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL