The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel Rant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3425 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Sorry guys . . . I normally don't push topics regarding Criss Angel and try to stay far away from them when possible, but I need to vent!

Has anyone seen his 2008 episodes? I had a day packed with sporadic readings and odd errands yesterday and was watching UFC fights to relax during the late evening when I caught a few of his new shows.

Wow.

I've said it before and I will gladly say it again - Criss Angel is the worse thing (in my opinion) that has EVER happened to magic or mentalism, ever.

I see he's taken a few pointers from Callahan as well. I saw locked boxes with mysterious objects and predictions (of course these were items from his own store, sigh) and a seance presentation that smacked of Callahan's performance on 'Phenome-NON' with Raymond Hill. In this episode Criss crawls up walls, shouts at people, laughs and giggles while speaking to the 'spirit' of a little girl in a very creepy (not in a good way) fashion. His acting is atrocious.

I caught part of an episode where Criss claimed to be revisiting his 'roots' using SLEIGHT OF HAND but alas, it was nothing more than more stooges (horrible actors in their own right), camera tricks and loads of gaffs. He did a hilarious hot-shot cut that was the worse I've ever seen and thought he was the bee's knees while doing it.

His blatant use of gimmicks, camera tricks, editing and stooges are killing magic. People are expecting every magician to be able to do the false things Criss shows and we all know it's impossible without his favorite tools (again, expensive gaffs and gimmicks, stooges by the boat loads and tons of editing/camera tricks).

I just can't stand it. Again, I'm sorry to vent. I found it hilarious that he was recreating experiences like Jim's on his series and I was surprised to see Banachek, Gerard and others I thought had left the show or were fired in these new shows, but again, it might have been (and probably was) editing from past filmings, or not. I don't know.

There was never an ounce of sincerity, connection or legitimacy to any of his routines, effects or demonstrations. He's a master at alientaing people and talking himself up. I'v never seen a person wear more gotti jewelry than he does; comment after comment was made regarding how successful Criss is and how much money he has. He even offered someone 1 MILLION DOLLARS 'If I'm wrong.'

Is this what it has come to? Every time I see CA 'perform' (if you can even call it that) I am discouraged and saddened for the future of magic. I really can't believe this has happened.

My sincere apologies for the rant and my even deeper apologies to magic as an art form. The future looks grim indeed.

-Jerome Finley
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10116 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Jerome, there is only one thing to do - we must get you on TV ASAP.

Although watch out - whatever you do, CA will then claim he invented it and performed it at least 2 weeks before you and did it more effectively because he used a FRIGGIN ELEPHANT GUN!!!!!!!

Ah, Cri$$ is such a great guy for allowing the comedy to flow! We should thank him!

What? He isn't a comedian?

You mean he actually is trying to be serious?!?!?!

Wow - that is even more funny!!!!

And its only funny until someone loses an eye (as CA is known to threaten removing eyes from reporters, so it seems).

OK - lets get Jerome on TV!!!!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Could not agree more...
xxx
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5811 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Thanks to Nathan Pain (I met him last week and he told me he cant take his eyes off the train wreck now I too am stuck watching people suffer) I waisted a lot of time last night watching this as well. I see his new trick is to not ask the entire crowd if they are in on it, but to ask the one person that actually isn't. I found that funny. The conjunction trick of his was for some reason what sent me over the edge. The stooges in that section were obvious even to someone that knows nothing about magic.

I could go on for a long time about this but jerome summed it up.

P.s. I also noticed he changed the name of his show to homeless guy in beard oh wait I mean. Mind bleep
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
14691 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I say start an online revolution...

its fairly easy to get links to sites passed around, I would LOVE someone to put together a hard hitting 3x15 minute mini-shows, host it somewhere; and just get that link sent around BIG TIME...

promote someone with talent, has an engaging personality and is out there - showing how it SHOULD be done...
CardWiz
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
620 Posts

Profile of CardWiz
He says his motivation is to encourage other people that anything is possible but we all know he is doing it for the money just by looking at his hair style.

His show is like a cartoon...

cw
People have been calling me "Yu" lately. I don't know, must be Chinese.
Lemniscate
View Profile
Inner circle
1883 Posts

Profile of Lemniscate
"There was never an ounce of sincerity, connection or legitimacy to any of his routines, effects or demonstrations"

That is it all in a nutshell, thanks for that, Jerome.

L
cns
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of cns
Very interesting, indeed.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3425 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Iain,

I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to step up to the plate and knock one out of the stadium for magicians, mentalists and lay audiences everywhere. People deserve to see and experience what the art of magic is REALLY all about, in its purest form.

I love the idea of an internet revolution (going back to the UFC and Kimbo Slice style!!!). The potential to hit more viewers on the internet vs. having my own television show is enormous. I've been invited to be partake in some television work later in 09'. Who knows if it will pan out or not but I don't want to wait. THIS is something I can do now.

For the love of magic, the art of mentalism and for the people, I would love to do such a thing. I will start putting a crew together immediately. I promise to use PURE sleight of hand, no gaffs or gimmicks, no editing or camera tricks, no stooges, no preshow and no tv D.R.

THIS is MY idea and style of magic and mind reading and how it should be portrayed to the public and shared with the world. I am certainly up to the task.

Wheels turning . . .

-Jerome
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2357 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile . Smile

Smile JOIN THE POSSE...
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Have any of you seen Criss show in NY before he became the Mind Freak!! I have and I can tell you, he was different performer then what we see now. Sad!!!
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
12564 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Yes, that was why I initially looked forward to his show. His stage show was very good and unique (although a bit Rudy Cobyesque). I enjoyed it immensely.

Tony
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
14691 Posts

Profile of IAIN
IT'S ON!
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
What I find interesting, is who his most
enthusiastic market is.

He seems to have most interest from Morocco,
followed by the Dominican Republic and Guatemala.

http://www.google.com/insights/search/#c......=&cmpt=q

Tom.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3425 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Quote:
On 2008-09-04 18:33, IAIN wrote:
IT'S ON!

It most certainly IS!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
16491 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2008-09-04 18:35, ThomasBerger wrote:
What I find interesting, is who his most
enthusiastic market is.

He seems to have most interest from Morocco,
followed by the Dominican Republic and Guatemala.

http://www.google.com/insights/search/#c......=&cmpt=q

Tom.

What does that all mean?
(See, a thread where I am not bashing Smile )
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
It allows you see see exactly what people are looking for,
the countries, areas, level of interest, newspaper items etc.

So whatever you type into a search engine
is compiled, and this allows you to see where
your best markets are, determined by interest/search levels.

The US doesn't make the top 10 on a Criss Angel search,
so you could assume that the masses have very little interest in him
(not many US people are looking him up relative people in Morocco),
compared to say Craig Karges in the US.

Basically allows you to see what people are looking
for in specific areas.
Very handy.

Tom
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
4646 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
What are we to say when a client is on the phone and we are trying to close the deal, and they ask, "So, can you do what Criss Angel does"?

I had this happen to me and it took me back for a second! LOL
You don't want to talk bad about another performer!

Best
Ray
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1609 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Ray, you say sure I can if you pay me what he gets paid. Anything is possible with the right budget.
Bringing the underground a little closer to the surface

http://www.DeeperSecrets.com/
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
Every episode of Mindfreak opens with the statement, "Warning: The stunts and illusions performed on this program were designed and tested by Criss Angel, a highly-trained professional. These demonstrations are extremely dangerous and should not be attempted by anyone, anywhere, at any time.”

There are so many contradictions and fabrications in that statement, we could tear it apart from now until Sunday.

According to this statement, everything he has performed on his cable show is too dangerous and off-hands to all of us.

This also gives the false impression to his mindless “Loyals” that everything he does is his own.
“Ars Celare Verum”

Georges-Robert
Magician - Illusionist - Mentalist

http://www.mysteryandillusion.com
http://www.facebook.com/MysteryandIllusion
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
16491 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks Thomas .. That Is a very handy tool!
Could that be many different people or possible several of the same people doing it many times?
just wondering about the marketing angle. Is it just a general interest or a group of hard core fans seeking information? or is there no way to tell?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS
Xtasy0
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of Xtasy0
I completely agree Jerome, recently I was talking to some friends of mine and suggested they go watch a local mentalist since they were going to be at the same venue. A week afterwards I talked to them and they said they watched a bit of the show "he was doing something with a picture or a drawing or something, we didn't see much of it, I'm sorry but it was just boring, I'm sorry I just love criss angel and nothing else is even close to what he does". she went on to rave about him walking on water, escaping from two straight jackets "something houdini wouldn't even do" (whatever it's not like he was scared to, he just didn't think of it most liekly). that's about as fair as me performing an effect years and years after criss angel dies and its an effect he did but I cranked it up a notch or two and I claim that criss angel never attempted it because he was scared to.

he definitely has warped the public's expectations as far as what performers in the real world can do, just from this one example it becomes clear that people who watch criss angel measure every other performer by what he does, and of course most of what we do as mentalists isn't flashy or big or created from a multimillion dollar budget.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
656 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
CA......
I don't know......
maybe,,,,,,
God "actor" bad "magician"......(-_-)
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10116 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
When does his Vega$ show open?
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1055 Posts

Profile of Oyama
It's funny...I have seen Criss on talk shows and what he performs on them are real world effects. I saw him perform for Ellen. He had her pick a card and he told her which one she picked. No real presentation that made me think he was anything special.

It goes to show what he can create on his TV show and what he can create in the real world. Two different magicians if ya ask me.

Just an interesting observation.

Aaron
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5811 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2008-09-04 23:57, Oyama wrote:
It's funny...I have seen Criss on talk shows and what he performs on them are real world effects. I saw him perform for Ellen. He had her pick a card and he told her which one she picked. No real presentation that made me think he was anything special.

It goes to show what he can create on his TV show and what he can create in the real world. Two different magicians if ya ask me.

Just an interesting observation.

Aaron

that's why his new show live in Vegas will be interesting. Granted he will have a huge amount of cash backing that, but I don't think he can rely on a computer and a good film guy this time around. Its funny that Criss Angel could become Criss Angels worst enemy.
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
Quote:
On 2008-09-04 23:41, Dr Spektor wrote:
When does his Vega$ show open?

I was chatting with a Las Vegas Magician last night at the Magic Castle and he mentioned that the Criss Angel show is having some problems.

(I won't mention his name, but I believe him).
“Ars Celare Verum”

Georges-Robert
Magician - Illusionist - Mentalist

http://www.mysteryandillusion.com
http://www.facebook.com/MysteryandIllusion
Drakmor Kain
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Drakmor Kain
You're all crazy!

What you are clearly missing here is that he is the world's greatest magician!

I mean name one, just one, other magician who is at good at him..... at the magic of television!? (e.g. editing, stooging, etc.)

See! You can't do it! Case closed, Jim pay the man his money.

:P
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1572 Posts

Profile of LLL
I would love to see this happen Jerome. It saddens me when I tell people what they do and they reply "Like chris Angel?" Smile

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
818 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
Quote:
On 2008-09-05 03:41, mescalitoeyes wrote:
I would love to see this happen Jerome. It saddens me when I tell people what they do and they reply "Like chris Angel?" Smile

Andy

It doesn't bother me at all. I just say 'yes, only I use real people, not actors, and I don't use camera tricks, it all happens in front of you for real.'
They quickly get it.

Also, there has been some mention of his 'stage show'...what stage show was this? According to one of his consultants (that I happen to be quite good friends with) his only stage shows were a few small cabaret gigs.
All that stuff from the mindfreak special with the old man, the sawn in half illusion and the transformation from the robot was not from a live stage show, that was all studio stuff, so I'm curious as to what stage show is being reffered to? Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel Rant (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2016 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL