The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel Rant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks Thomas .. That Is a very handy tool!
Could that be many different people or possible several of the same people doing it many times?
just wondering about the marketing angle. Is it just a general interest or a group of hard core fans seeking information? or is there no way to tell?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Xtasy0
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of Xtasy0
I completely agree Jerome, recently I was talking to some friends of mine and suggested they go watch a local mentalist since they were going to be at the same venue. A week afterwards I talked to them and they said they watched a bit of the show "he was doing something with a picture or a drawing or something, we didn't see much of it, I'm sorry but it was just boring, I'm sorry I just love criss angel and nothing else is even close to what he does". she went on to rave about him walking on water, escaping from two straight jackets "something houdini wouldn't even do" (whatever it's not like he was scared to, he just didn't think of it most liekly). that's about as fair as me performing an effect years and years after criss angel dies and its an effect he did but I cranked it up a notch or two and I claim that criss angel never attempted it because he was scared to.

he definitely has warped the public's expectations as far as what performers in the real world can do, just from this one example it becomes clear that people who watch criss angel measure every other performer by what he does, and of course most of what we do as mentalists isn't flashy or big or created from a multimillion dollar budget.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
CA......
I don't know......
maybe,,,,,,
God "actor" bad "magician"......(-_-)
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
When does his Vega$ show open?
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
It's funny...I have seen Criss on talk shows and what he performs on them are real world effects. I saw him perform for Ellen. He had her pick a card and he told her which one she picked. No real presentation that made me think he was anything special.

It goes to show what he can create on his TV show and what he can create in the real world. Two different magicians if ya ask me.

Just an interesting observation.

Aaron
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2008-09-04 23:57, Oyama wrote:
It's funny...I have seen Criss on talk shows and what he performs on them are real world effects. I saw him perform for Ellen. He had her pick a card and he told her which one she picked. No real presentation that made me think he was anything special.

It goes to show what he can create on his TV show and what he can create in the real world. Two different magicians if ya ask me.

Just an interesting observation.

Aaron

that's why his new show live in Vegas will be interesting. Granted he will have a huge amount of cash backing that, but I don't think he can rely on a computer and a good film guy this time around. Its funny that Criss Angel could become Criss Angels worst enemy.
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
Quote:
On 2008-09-04 23:41, Dr Spektor wrote:
When does his Vega$ show open?

I was chatting with a Las Vegas Magician last night at the Magic Castle and he mentioned that the Criss Angel show is having some problems.

(I won't mention his name, but I believe him).
Ryan Reeves
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Ryan Reeves
You're all crazy!

What you are clearly missing here is that he is the world's greatest magician!

I mean name one, just one, other magician who is at good at him..... at the magic of television!? (e.g. editing, stooging, etc.)

See! You can't do it! Case closed, Jim pay the man his money.

:P
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
I would love to see this happen Jerome. It saddens me when I tell people what they do and they reply "Like chris Angel?" Smile

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
Quote:
On 2008-09-05 03:41, mescalitoeyes wrote:
I would love to see this happen Jerome. It saddens me when I tell people what they do and they reply "Like chris Angel?" Smile

Andy

It doesn't bother me at all. I just say 'yes, only I use real people, not actors, and I don't use camera tricks, it all happens in front of you for real.'
They quickly get it.

Also, there has been some mention of his 'stage show'...what stage show was this? According to one of his consultants (that I happen to be quite good friends with) his only stage shows were a few small cabaret gigs.
All that stuff from the mindfreak special with the old man, the sawn in half illusion and the transformation from the robot was not from a live stage show, that was all studio stuff, so I'm curious as to what stage show is being reffered to? Thanks.
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
That's one way to Handle it Thom, I would prefer it though if they said "What like David Berglas", I can dream hey Smile

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Quote:
Also, there has been some mention of his 'stage show'...what stage show was this? According to one of his consultants (that I happen to be quite good friends with) his only stage shows were a few small cabaret gigs.
All that stuff from the mindfreak special with the old man, the sawn in half illusion and the transformation from the robot was not from a live stage show, that was all studio stuff, so I'm curious as to what stage show is being reffered to? Thanks.

Criss did an off Broadway show titled Mindfreak which ran up until Jan. 6, 2003 at The World Underground Theater in Times Square. I don't know who you are talking to but whoever it is, must not know the true Criss before TV!!! Criss also performed in the World Of Illusion show at Madison Square Garden in 1998. This is the Criss I am referring to.
I think the above shows would qualify as not being cabaret.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
enigmatic
View Profile
Regular user
France
174 Posts

Profile of enigmatic
Quote:
On 2008-09-05 01:08, Drakmor Kain wrote:

You mean he is the "world's greatest magician" in USA. Because, in the others country nobody knows him really. When some people known him (like in France, because few of his shows are on TV cable ), everybody sees him like a puppet and a clown ! I have some friends who like the heavy metal and gothic's atmosphear... Even them, they laugh a lot when they are watching his shows ! Everything from Criss Angel looks and sounds false and superficial ! No class, no elegance (yes, even with a gothic or rock'n'roll personna, you can be elegant !). Beside that, the same audience that I know who watched the shows of Simon Drake enjoys his shows and the "secret cabaret" TV show.
I try to imagine Criss Angel coming France to presents its shows. He should be "has-been" before having to start !
Criss Angel is definitively a bad joke !
Real vision is the ability to see the invisible. (Jonathan Swift).

WWW.MAISON-HANTEE.COM
WWW.CHASSEURDEFANTOMES.COM
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:

And I'd reply, "No I don't - like Chris Angel, that is. Not even over Mocho Grande."

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Quote:
On 2008-09-05 10:31, mormonyoyoman wrote:
Quote:

And I'd reply, "No I don't - like Chris Angel, that is. Not even over Mocho Grande."

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet

:)
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Quote:
On 2008-09-04 19:58, Magical Dimensions wrote:
What are we to say when a client is on the phone and we are trying to close the deal, and they ask, "So, can you do what Criss Angel does"?

I had this happen to me and it took me back for a second! LOL
You don't want to talk bad about another performer!

Best
Ray

While I too have ALWAYS resisted negative talk about another performer, I find I can no longer do that in the case of Mr. Angel. When someone askes me point blank if I can do what he does OR what I think of him... I have taken to telling the truth:

"I am afraid CA has brought a lot of controversy upon himself by breaking what was, up until now, a 'code of honor' among magicians in TV history of not EVER using camera tricks or film editing as an important aspect of accomplishing a trick or illusion, I am very sad to say."

If they press me for more info beyond that..I say "He uses camera tricks sometimes."

OK..flame me now. Call me a 'cad', an 'exposer', 'jealous' or whatever. But when pressed by a layperson, I will remain politely silent no more. Calmly, with a slight sense of sadness, I will tell them the unfortunate truth without exposing any trick or illusion inparticular. I am sorry.... Mr. Angel has brought this upon himself and upon the Art of Magic. We have him and only him to thank for it.
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
In regards to the episode with the seance, he did make mention the obvious implication that it was an illusion. I think he said "conjurer of spirits, or conman?"

But this was from Season 3, so that's why you saw some of his old consultants on it.

That hot shot cut was hilarious though...I can't believe they showed that on TV. I thought he was going to drop the deck lol.
NEW Conscious clothing to inspire yourself and others.

http://www.thisisdivisions.com
Ryan Reeves
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Ryan Reeves
Quote:
On 2008-09-05 06:55, enigmatic wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-05 01:08, Drakmor Kain wrote:

You mean he is the "world's greatest magician" in USA. Because, in the others country nobody knows him really. When some people known him (like in France, because few of his shows are on TV cable ), everybody sees him like a puppet and a clown ! I have some friends who like the heavy metal and gothic's atmosphear... Even them, they laugh a lot when they are watching his shows ! Everything from Criss Angel looks and sounds false and superficial ! No class, no elegance (yes, even with a gothic or rock'n'roll personna, you can be elegant !). Beside that, the same audience that I know who watched the shows of Simon Drake enjoys his shows and the "secret cabaret" TV show.
I try to imagine Criss Angel coming France to presents its shows. He should be "has-been" before having to start !
Criss Angel is definitively a bad joke !

I was making a joke playing on the saying "magic of television" which refers to editing etc.

I don't actually think he is the world's greatest magician. Not even close.
xnmagicman
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of xnmagicman
Well... since we're all venting a little, I thought we could laugh a little too.

Check out Criss's dynamic, Tony-award winning acting here on this new "Believe" trailer. I think Cirque is smarter than we think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_HIkO6WlA0
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Quote:
On 2008-09-05 14:17, bryanlonden wrote:
In regards to the episode with the seance, he did make mention the obvious implication that it was an illusion. I think he said "conjurer of spirits, or conman?"

Oh, so one line (actually a question) at the very end (last 10 seconds) is okay but he has a problem with Callahan's performance? Seems pretty hypocritical to me. I'm all for NO disclaimers, but he seems fine with attacking others who do such things only to turn around and try to 'one-up' Jim on his television series?

There is a similar disclaimer at the end of John Edward' mediumship shows and demonstrations, yet Criss calls him scum, etc. If we're talking about charlatans, I think Criss takes the cake. He's conning the world into believing he can REALLY do these things, hahahaha. I have never seen a more gross misrepresentation of a character, claims or cons as I do when I see Criss.

Yeah, the hot shot cut was hilarious. His card control was cleverly blocked by a stooges head - the camera man just happened to move behind a person when the work went down. What a hack. He claimed to use 'pure' sleight of hand as he uses gaffs, gimmicks, stooges, more camera edits and expensive props - cards appearing painted on the table or beneath glass - it was atrocious.

-J
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel Rant (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL