The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel Rant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
enigmatic
View Profile
Regular user
France
174 Posts

Profile of enigmatic
[quote]On 2008-09-05 14:28, Drakmor Kain wrote:
Quote:

I was making a joke playing on the saying "magic of television" which refers to editing etc.

I don't actually think he is the world's greatest magician. Not even close.

I'm sorry Drakmor ! In truth, I was in doubt and I didn't get the joke ! Smile

So, I can't understand why he make a big success like that. Who is its audience ? Silly teenager maybe ?
It's very pity Criss Angel represents for the lay audience the magic in U.S, whereas you have lot of talented magicians there in U.S. More pity, some talented magicians are consultant for him ! I can't understand that ! For example, I worked with Tomsoni some years ago, and we spent some days together. He's talentuous, intelligent and he is a really nice guy. Why He's working for Criss Angel ??? To be consultant for him, it's seems to me you agree with his way of thinking and act ! really pity indeed.
Real vision is the ability to see the invisible. (Jonathan Swift).

WWW.MAISON-HANTEE.COM
WWW.CHASSEURDEFANTOMES.COM
Ryan Reeves
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Ryan Reeves
Quote:
On 2008-09-05 16:15, enigmatic wrote:
I'm sorry Drakmor ! In truth, I was in doubt and I didn't get the joke ! Smile

So, I can't understand why he make a big success like that. Who is its audience ? Silly teenager maybe ?
It's very pity Criss Angel represents for the lay audience the magic in U.S, whereas you have lot of talented magicians there in U.S. More pity, some talented magicians are consultant for him ! I can't understand that ! For example, I worked with Tomsoni some years ago, and we spent some days together. He's talentuous, intelligent and he is a really nice guy. Why He's working for Criss Angel ??? To be consultant for him, it's seems to me you agree with his way of thinking and act ! really pity indeed.

Actually I'm Canadian not American.

But from what I'm aware, Johnny Thompson, Banachek, and most of the others no longer do consultations for him. He's got a couple of new people who I haven't heard of (though that may not actually be a reflection of how well known they are in/out of the community, I've not heard them mentioned is all.)

However from the people who I have met who like him they are mostly 'silly teenagers,' people who have never actually seen a proper magician, and a couple of people who pretty much buy into anything even remotely goth rellated.

Although, anyone know if it was Johnny Thompson's call or Angel's to not show that 'family' any more? (Just wondering if that's yet another ego trip or something.)
centermagic
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of centermagic
I always thought showing the family to be a bit much! His ego is bigger then all of his family.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2008-09-05 14:44, xnmagicman wrote:
Well... since we're all venting a little, I thought we could laugh a little too.

Check out Criss's dynamic, Tony-award winning acting here on this new "Believe" trailer. I think Cirque is smarter than we think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_HIkO6WlA0

I like the Rabbit at the beginning - if Cirque is smart, they will give the major acting duties to the Rabbit and Criss can be the stooge
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
When does DARK TRUTH premiere anyway?

Jerome, get ready for THE PLUTO THEATRE (I'm sure you might know what I'm talking about)... maybe we can make a few Youtube pilot episodes Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Just to clarify a few things -

Banachek, Andrew Gerard and (I believe) John Thompson are no longer involved with the Criss Angel show. I have the utmost respect for all three of these gentlemen and far be if from me to question their motives or reasons for being involved with Criss. They are all great guys and I'm sure Christopher Nicholas Sarantakos wasn't ALWAYS like this and there was a time when it was reasonable to work with him. It's really none of my business and it appears as though the 2008 episodes I caught showed past clips and portions from previous tapings and interviews.

Leave it to the CA team to blur the situation through editing and make things look different than what they REALLY are! Criss seems to be rather good at that at least. It might also have been me, the hour or the lack of real interest that muddied the situation. I just wanted to clarify the above points as I understand them and have been told by those who were involved.

Bruce,
I'm ready when you are my friend! And that's no joke about the rabbit, either Smile

-Jerome
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
zifferinolpm
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of zifferinolpm
Criss Angel doesn't use stooges. I didn't see Larry, Curly or Moe on any of his shows. Come to mention it, Shemp and Joe weren't in there either. Although Curly Joe had a cameo in one episode but he was off in the distance. I think he was helping prop the boom mic.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Dan,
that's some funny stuff.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
So is it only OK to support other magicians until they get successful?
Just want to make sure I understand the rules, because I thought that magicians were a very small percentage of the population who spend a tremedous amount of time learning to do things that are generally considered impossible, with little chance of making a living off if it.
Being of this impression I thought I should be happy for anybody who does managage to make a living off of it, let alone make an incredibly successful living off of it.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
I'm not mad at Criss for being successful. I'm mad that he claims to be a magician and can't perform magic without using the techniques that he does. That's not being a magician to me, it's just being an untalented hack with a lot of money.

Do you know what would happen if I saw Criss out on the town and asked him to perform a piece of magic or mentalism for me? I do! After screaming that he's a 400 pound gorilla who could pull my arms out from their sockets he would fumble through yet another piece (not his) while claiming he does it better than Vernon and Houdini combined. He would likely be topless and hand me his phone to take pictures of him during the slaughter of yet another great piece of magic.

Wait, that's giving him TOO MUCH credit. Take away the glam, the jewelry, the cam's and stooges, gaffs, gimmicks (yes, that means the giant cranes which hoist him into the air to 'levitate') and his 'not-so-clever' editing and I say he wouldn't be able to perform a *** thing in the REAL WORLD.

THAT'S why I'm mad at him.

-J
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I disagree. As I said before, I have seen Criss do a live stage show, and it was very good. He may be doing things differently now, but he does have the ability to put on a good show.

Tony
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Yep. Things certainly do change.

I once ran a 5 minute mile. I don't go around telling people I can do it these days. Smile

-J
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I don't like what he is doing now, his exposures turned me off and I have not watched his show since Season 2. And I detest the public Criss Angel for many reasons. But I do believe in giving credit where credit is due.

Tony
bahamagician
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of bahamagician
I may regret doing this but I have to be the devils advocate here. Now in no way am I am Criss Angel fan. However, can we really place all the blame on him? A great deal of blame rests on the public. It all comes down to the ratings and keeping the viewers. With the MTV generation and the fast pace that television must maintain to keep viewers watching, he has to give viewers what they want. Obviously, his viewers love him, otherwise he wouldn't have several seasons worth of shows. Isn't this what it is all about...entertaining the audience. Giving the crowd the show that they want?

As much as I hate to admit it, the man is popular. Maybe we should look at what he is doing to keep the audience entertained and coming back week after week. Perhaps we can learn something. Some of the comments here are to the effect of "If our audiences watch Criss Angel, then they will not like our acts because they will be comparing us to him!". Well that just means we have to work harder. Is that a bad thing for us to be pushed to our limits to compete with "TV Magic"? I don't think so. It raises the bar. If somebody watches your act and then doesn't like it because the guy on TV was better, is the guy on TV really to blame?

Like I said, I am not an adoring fan, I just wanted to add some food for thought.
Brandon Queen
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, California
527 Posts

Profile of Brandon Queen
There is a huge difference between Magic on T.V., and Magic in person.

Once a person actually experiences a miracle in person, it can change their life. Watching Criss on T.V., does not. I'd say only 5% of the people who are even familiar with Mindfreak, understand, and acknowledge that it's JUST a T.V. show, and its tricks. They usually don't expect me to float in between buildings. And when I do encounter that 5% of people that believe in "real" magic, or at least believe that Criss uses real magic, I just do something more amazing than floating.

There is something much more eerie and disturbing about telling a person details of their life or of someone's life they are merely thinking of, than watching a person float. It's a personal experience.

So on the subject of people feeling that Criss "ruins it" for everyone, is simply just not true. It's television.

Just perform "better" material in person. The stuff on the show really isn't THAT GREAT. It just honestly isn't.
It occured to me at once that love could be a great illusion, that makes fools of brilliant thinkers everyday
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"What are we to say when a client is on the phone and we are trying to close the deal, and they ask, 'So, can you do what Criss Angel does'?"

My reply: "Who?"

The reply is not entirely facetious, since I have only watched about five minutes of one Mindfreak episode.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Steve,
Maybe it’s an Ohio thing, but I get that as well up north here.
I think a lot of it has to do with being a mentalists and Criss used the name Mind Freak for his show and now part of his name. None of what Criss does in my opinion relates with what a good mentalist does or can do. To say it’s just TV is down playing the impact TV has on everyone especially here in the US. So when I say I am a mentalists and I read your mind and create illusion in the mind of my audience members for some reason they relate that as mind freaking and up comings the question. “So you do what Criss Angle does right?”. My answer to that is always, NO Criss tries to do what we do but cant so he does magic.
Some say it would be in bad taste to discredit another performer and I agree 100% with that, but in reality, when it comes to the mind freak I am just setting the record straight.

-Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2008-09-09 03:03, bahamagician wrote:
I may regret doing this but I have to be the devils advocate here. Now in no way am I am Criss Angel fan. However, can we really place all the blame on him? A great deal of blame rests on the public. It all comes down to the ratings and keeping the viewers. With the MTV generation and the fast pace that television must maintain to keep viewers watching, he has to give viewers what they want. Obviously, his viewers love him, otherwise he wouldn't have several seasons worth of shows. Isn't this what it is all about...entertaining the audience. Giving the crowd the show that they want?

As much as I hate to admit it, the man is popular. Maybe we should look at what he is doing to keep the audience entertained and coming back week after week. Perhaps we can learn something. Some of the comments here are to the effect of "If our audiences watch Criss Angel, then they will not like our acts because they will be comparing us to him!". Well that just means we have to work harder. Is that a bad thing for us to be pushed to our limits to compete with "TV Magic"? I don't think so. It raises the bar. If somebody watches your act and then doesn't like it because the guy on TV was better, is the guy on TV really to blame?

Like I said, I am not an adoring fan, I just wanted to add some food for thought.

Okay wait. So Angel goes on TV and goes against the magician code on TV and we should just accept that? He single handedly is destroying everything that all the greats in front of him established and we are supposed to accept that?

It really doesn't have anything to do with the guy on TV being better. Personally I almost never run into anybody that even knows who he is. It has to do with the guy on TV going against everything magic stands for.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:

Although I agree with you that this is a case of "giving the public what they want" I still will blame the person who follows the public's wants just for the cash.

As an example, if suddenly the public wants shows that feature live torture of people should someone do it just because the public wants it. And if someone chose to do that simply for the fame and money what would you think of that person.

I'm not saying that what CA is doing is as horrendous as the example, but it has to do with the same thing of what amount of money does it take to buy your morals or principles. Apparently getting your own TV show and becoming a star is enough for one person to completely destroy the illusion of magic by turning it into TV tricks and paid assistant magic.

And before anyone says, "Hey, other guys have done that, too", well, yes... but not to the extent that CA has. And the unfortunate thing is that it is done so blatantly on his show that the regular public is aware of it. Look at all the mock comedy videos that have come up that poke fun at that show. The media and a lot of the public is aware that what is going on is not a regular magic show... and by that I don't mean it in a good way.

That's the actual problem here. When Blaine did it for his levitation it was to enhance what the public believes really happened. He used that bit of creative editing to show the home viewers what the real people would later tell their friends: "This guy just put his hands up and floated about a foot off the ground!!!"

What has happened in the CA show is not a representation of what a regular spectator would tell a friend if he witnessed the same event live.

I was in New York when Blaine's first special came out. I already did the Balducci. Right after the show a couple people asked if I could do that thing they saw. I told them I would try. I attempted several times then suddenly "lifted off" They were shocked and amazed.

If the CA show had come on instead I would not have been able to get the same reaction because I could not suddenly floated up to a chair or several feet into the air. Blaine simply enhanced the moment, CA took it over the top and turned it into a TV magic trick.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On 2008-09-09 10:53, Greg Arce wrote:
Quote:

Although I agree with you that this is a case of "giving the public what they want" I still will blame the person who follows the public's wants just for the cash.

exactly my thought mr.arce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel Rant (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL