The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Spectator shuffle Svengali (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
How many of you would let spectators riffle shuffle a Svengali deck?
Have you ever been caught doing this?
Mark005
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Mark005
I've done it in the past. Usually if I see someone pitching them, I give them a wink and then shuffle the deck and say do it now. When they can, I buy one on the spot.

Just being kind...
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
In my experience, most spectators are really awful at shuffling. I can see some ways to make them shuffle it, but a riffle might be pretty hard. You might be able to pull it off with a Mirage deck because they are a bit lets unruly, but I don't think I'd leave that in a the spectator's hands if I had a choice.
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
@Mark005,
OH shuffle, right? RS should keep things as is?
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
If you know how, it is possible to shuffle a Svengali Deck with either an overhand shuffle or a riffle shuffle. Mark Lewis' pamphlet, "The Long and Short of It," explains how; click HERE for more info.

However, I would never let a spec do this; for that matter, I would never let a spec touch the deck. Instead, just ring in the Svengali Deck when you need it, then ring it out when you're done. Then the specs can shuffle and inspect the standard deck to their heart's content, if you think that's necessary. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Mark005
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Mark005
Quote:
On 2008-09-08 23:18, JSBLOOM wrote:
@Mark005,
OH shuffle, right? RS should keep things as is?

Actually they shuffle just fine with an on the table riffle, IF, you do a smooth one. But yes, I'd pick them up, OH run, cut, run them back, then false cut to the table. Usually even the guy pitching would be nervous, unless he was really inthe know. It was fun watching most of them realise that all was well and everything still worked...
Mark005
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Mark005
Oh, and this is WAY to good for you all....

If you hunt in a very old book called "Routined Manipulation" you will find a stand up routine where you make the spectator the magician. It is VERY powerful and not been seen in a long time!

It uses our old friend the Svengali deck, but the spectator never is aware of that.
chias
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of chias
I will direct the spectator to cut the pack, any point he wants. This is effective and allows the spectator to feel that the deck is indeed not gaffed.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Mr. Lewis suggests having the spectator handle the deck only as a way of selling the deck. I do this and it works. I wouldn't do it when performing though. Once they find out they can do it also, they buy it right away.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Don't think I would do it
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
trevelyan
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of trevelyan
I have done it many times with friends and let them shuffle. Unless they know what to look for they don't raise any questions about it. Makes it more powerful when they are the ones shuffling. Never had a time where they cards got mixed up.
thepentecostalmagician
View Profile
New user
Greenville, SC
4 Posts

Profile of thepentecostalmagician
Here goes, my first ever post on this great forum...

I think allowing the spectator to shuffle a Svengali deck probably doesn't enhance the impact of any given effect enough to warrant the inherent risks.

That said, if I were doing an effect where I just really wanted to let the spectator shuffle, then it would be after a deck switch. That is, prior to that effect in a given routine, I would have performed an effect with a deck that they could shuffle risk free, and let them. This would have given me the opportunity to observe how they shuffle. If they riffle shuffled then, the chances are that after my deck switch they would riffle shuffle again.

Kenn
What a tangled web we weave, if we DON'T practice to deceive... Smile
My Blog
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
If you use Don Driver's Svengali DVD method, you are SELLING the cards, you tell the people up front it's a "mechanical or trick" deck. So, in my opinion, there is no need to have anyone shuffle, including the pitchman (magician).

If you're not SELLING the cards, only DOING the tricks, it's a different story. Then you may want to shuffle to preserve the image of a "normal" deck. Mark Lewis shows many ways in his book, as Seth mentioned.

Jon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Spectator shuffle Svengali (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL