The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » `bottling´ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
`Bottling´ is kind of an old term not used much more on the streets. Punch and Judy Men still use the term, when they´re working a `free pitch´. It refirs to going around and collecting. Not the Performer, but a second person, `the bottler´.

I was just playing in Italy lately, and an old women, I didn´t know; asked if I needed a `bottler´ for the show. Kind of suprised, I didn´t respond right away. She then pressed, "You know what a´`bottler´ is, don´t `cha?" "Well, yeah.", I said. "I´ve `bottled´ when `bottlers´ CARRIED bottles!", she said. "What???" Then she explained.

Performers, who played for the hat, made/make more if a second works the crowd,.. collects. Collecting doesn´t take the most skill,.... but the Performer must be able to trust their `hat man´. Money and Trust seldom exist together. Performers would catch a fly and put it in a bottle. With a thumb, on top of the bottle, keeping the fly in; the `hat man´ would be sent out; bottle in one hand,.. hat in the other. When he came back, from his round, the fly was expected to still be in the bottle! Then the performer knew, nothing was taken out of the hat!,... clever.

I didn´t let the old lady `bottle´ for me,... but I gave her ten Euros and a kiss for story.

all the best,
gallagher
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I never thought about that. If I would pick a "bottler", I would have them hold a "Change Bag". The rod helps keep the "bottler's" hand away from the collection.

Thanks for sharing the story, pal.
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
Ain't it glorious Traveling the Earth?
So many interesting things to Learn!

Rock on!!!

And Thanks for the story.

A piece of chewing gum, cellophane
or heavy rubber ball could be Bottler
accessories. Best use cute girls and
always shake them down first!

Just to keep things clean, of course...
like no Flies in the Hold-Out! ;D
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2008-09-09 14:11, Dynamike wrote:
If I would pick a "bottler", I would have them hold a "Change Bag". The rod helps keep the "bottler's" hand away from the collection.

What would keep their feet away from the pavement?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Michael has always been one step ahead!

love, gallagher
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Airwave, I hate blabbering stories,.... but you brought one back to the tip of my tonge. I was playing, to no success, a few years ago,.... in a nice town,.. on a nice day. Just couldn´t turn it,... don´t know why. After a while, a guy came up, holding a Saxaphone case like a machine gun. He asked how much longer I wanted to abuse the spot,.. and suggested `I should go home, if I wanted to practice.´ (Buskers can be so `poetic´!) I packed.

Here´s the guy´s show: He stands there like a punched-up Mugsy Malone playing standards on his saxaphone. The hook?; he has this Hawiian Babe in a grass skirt collecting for him! Bikini top. Flowers in the hair. Long legs, that are brown all the way up to the roots of her grass skirt! Man did he have a crowd!! Wow!, did they clean-up!! I never knew that so many folks appreciated the saxaphone before!!

This just goes to show what good art can achieve!

still at home practising,
gallagher
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
OMG, I think I've seen them in Europe somewhere,
could that be?!? Heck... Next time (12. Okt) we do
a stand (for my Photo-Studio) at a fair I'm gunna
get her* to do some "bottlin'" *faints* when I do
my "just-for-fun" RB and TT tricks for the folks
(like I always do just for PR and get noticed, etc).
We might actually make some $$$!!!! Smile

(*my Model)

Talk to you soon!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-09-10 07:28, gallagher wrote:
Michael has always been one step ahead!

love, gallagher

Thank you, Gallagher.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2008-09-10 07:48, gallagher wrote:
I never knew that so many folks appreciated the saxaphone before!!

I never knew change bags could change intended targets. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » `bottling´ (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL