The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Anyone still wears a cape? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
The Bay Area of California
2739 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Maybe I should be wearing a top hat, cape and tux to the door when I first arrive; it can be a tear away tux, that can be ripped off with my performance clothing under it just before I start the show
The children's magic party and magic class, where

Howie Didit performs the tricks and then teaches the kids "Howie Didit".

Ventriloquist & Children’s Magician. My lips are not moving and there are all kinds of tricks up my sleeves

Creator of the RING-A-Ding Gumball Machine, available through your favorite magic dealer that buys from Murphy’s Magic

The west coast dealer for Jeff Jones's Magic backdrops
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm putting up a fence with my
1449 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
That would be a unique attention getter!
"Magic is found neither in the mind, nor the eye; but in the heart."
Thatoldblackmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Thatoldblackmagic
I always go full on Liberace when I'm doing a stage show, so yes I do wear a cape but never for party's or close up!
Scotland's first winner of the Edinburgh International Magic Festival's first place award. ~ Allen Tipton's magic Student. ~ Magic Historian and Collector ~ Built magic for Scotland's top Pantomimes ,Cats ,The Wizard of Oz and a few other shows. ~ As seen on TV theatre and film Smile Aged 17
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
588 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I saw Terry Evanswood in Pigeon Forge Tenn. last year & he wore a cape for an illusion. He also has a poster with him wearing it.

Mark
theconjuror
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of theconjuror
I rememebr my first show I did in Jr High, I wore a cape... pulled it off quite nicely I might add. heehee
gomerel
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I do mostly period - renaissance, Victorian, etc. This summer, I wore a cape on a day when there were some light showers, sprinkles actually. A small girl was confused about whether I was a vampire or a super-hero.
gomerel
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I do mostly period - renaissance, Victorian, etc. This summer, I wore a cape on a day when there were some light showers, sprinkles actually. A small girl was confused about whether I was a vampire or a super-hero.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11052 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
When you wear a cape you should also wear a top hat, spats, gloves, and a monocle too.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
Sounds like you are getting your fashion advice from Mr. Peanut, Al!!!! That might not be a bad idea for me, being right in the middle of peanut country. Mr. Peanut is held in high regards around here!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15103 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
To answer the original question. James Dimmare wears a cape in one of his acts. It is fantastic. He changes streamer into a black cape with vibrant blue lining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5vRYu8rL3U

His Shrinking and Vanishing Bird Cage is the best illusion in the World, in my opinion. In this clip, it is a different large bird cage. Live a magic convention once he had a large bird cage that set in a cart with large wheels. Much more puzzling then this one in this clip.

I have to say also, and I am not speaking of a crazy children's performer. or a close-up performer, or comedy performer. But if you are doing magic shows, generally audiences equate a magician with a top hat and tails.

In the past there has been magicians who wore the top hat and tails for all of their various kinds performers.

I see no reason why even today, depending on your act, that a top hat and tails would work. Tail suits allow for so much more advantage for fantastic magic.

I would say, use your own judgment, and you will know soon enough if you never get hired again, that should tell you something.
Graduate of Chavez School of Prestidigitation and Showmanship
Truth or Dare
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Truth or Dare
My sources from beyond say.............

The attire chosen depends on the character/mood the performer is attempting to achieve. There is no right/wrong when logic is being applied
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
The Bay Area of California
2739 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I expanded my show and started wearing a cape, here is a photo of me posing in it

How do you like it?...LOL

The children's magic party and magic class, where

Howie Didit performs the tricks and then teaches the kids "Howie Didit".

Ventriloquist & Children’s Magician. My lips are not moving and there are all kinds of tricks up my sleeves

Creator of the RING-A-Ding Gumball Machine, available through your favorite magic dealer that buys from Murphy’s Magic

The west coast dealer for Jeff Jones's Magic backdrops
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Anyone still wears a cape? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.077073 seconds, requiring 44 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [2] [0] [7] [6] [2] [1] [0]