The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Wrapping a ball in felt? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
Johnathan Townsend has a lot more than
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
I have standard handballs/racquetballs that I use as final loads. But the problem is that sometimes because of the rubber exterior they get stuck in my pockets, or make a lot of noise when loaded. Is there any way to wrap them in felt or any other material?

I have also heard of wet felting, is that what I need to do?
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hey, Uriel:

A felt-wrapped racquetball...wouldn't that be a tennis ball?

Not to be a Smart A..lec, but maybe subbing an off-the-shelf product for one that's modified is the way to go? If do go with a felt wrap, consider the tennis ball and how it solves the "warp a plane surface into a curved surface" problem with two specially shaped pieces.
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
Quote:
On 2008-10-12 13:09, Leland Stone wrote:
Hey, Uriel:

A felt-wrapped racquetball...wouldn't that be a tennis ball?

Not to be a Smart A..lec, but maybe subbing an off-the-shelf product for one that's modified is the way to go? If do go with a felt wrap, consider the tennis ball and how it solves the "warp a plane surface into a curved surface" problem with two specially shaped pieces.

I have PF cups, and tennis balls don't fit. I got some dog tennis balls, and they fit but don't come out. So I figured the only way would be to use the racquetballs I have now and silence them.
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Leland had the same thought I did. Look at a tennis ball and see how the felt is cut in order to adhere to the ball. Then cut your felt out using the tennis balls pattern as your guide. You may be able to find the pattern used on-line somewhere to save you some time.

Good luck.

Mark.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2008-10-12 13:09, Leland Stone wrote:
maybe subbing an off-the-shelf product for one that's modified is the way to go?

don't get hung up on "tennis balls" there a tons of products that will already fit your needs. not sure what size you need, but I found a 1.5" "felt ball".
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I'm sure you will find what you want here....
http://www.uniquemagicballs.com/
James is a Café member and a great guy....
Bri
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
http://www.pjb.com.au/jug/leatherballs.html
This is a juggler site with patterns for the balls. You can use the pattern to cut bits to cover your raquetballs. They have several sizes and explain how to size up and down.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
Thanks kaytracy, but that seems like a lot of work especially for 3-4 balls.

I think I will just go with James Tong on this one. Smile
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I think that some times we think so far outside we cant even see the box. for my money I would keeplooking for a different type of ball here. if they are getting stuck in you pockets I would opt for a Hold out or dropper. try the leather juggling balls as they are smoth and they are filled with a loose filling that absorbs sound. if you cover your balls with felt then you run the risk of folks saying Why have you covered perfectly good balls in felt or even worse too cheap to get manufactured balls. so he made some in his living room.always look the part.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
This is an old thread, but I have another solution for this old problem: flock your balls.

While developing my new C&B act, I found that the 2" cork balls I was using as loads made noise when rolling down the wire ball dispenser that is mounted under my table. Using the glue and flocking from Woodcraft, I flocked the balls in bright red (several other colors are also available). The balls are now much quieter rolling down the rack, and they look great! The flocking holds up to use much better than I expected it to do. After nearly a year of usage, they still look great!

The trick to it is to use a needle stuck into the ball, and a thread to suspend the ball, via the needle, from the ceiling for better coverage with the matching colored glue, eliminating runs as you go (apply with foam brush). Once fully coated, the double cardboard tube applicator blows the flocking onto the ball from all angles. Allow to set for 24 hours and your newly coated balls are ready to go! They load almost noiselessly in to the cups.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Wrapping a ball in felt? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL