The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Kolossal Killer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
alex cahill
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of alex cahill
Well guys, what do you think about this trick? For me, I hate it with a passion. It is over-rated and the effect is not that good. I worked it out when I saw it, and if it is shown to someone with a mathematical brain I think it is easily worked out. What do you guys think?
Ozer4
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
331 Posts

Profile of Ozer4
I agree with you FULLY. The fact that the card has to be named, and THEN the wallet is opened makes the effect look terrible. If you had the card they are merely thinking of in your wallet, you should open up the wallet. Let them plainly see the card, and say what card are you thinking of, and boom there it is. None of this OFF BY ONE stuff, or wallets 4 inches thick.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1348 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I don't like it either. However I have seen laypeople say wow to this, even when it was performed poorly, so there must be something to it. It just doesn't appeal to my taste in magic.
alex cahill
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of alex cahill
Ozar and jeff you are men of impecable taste. As for the wallet being 4 inches thick well what is a few inches among friends. lol. I believe this trick is just an updated version of having 52 wallets on your person. lol Smile
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2250 Posts

Profile of Logan
I personally think it's an OK type trick and I've floored several with this as well!

The fact that you are able to 'figure it out' is regardless, because we are magicians... we KNOW when a magi is doing a DL, spectators don't, we know when a magi is doing a pass, spectators don't - it's what WE ARE.

I agree that the fact that the person has to NAME it first lowers the effect, but the effect is BASED on your presentation...

Spectators have no doubt during an Ambitious that you're putting their card at the centre, after about 5 times of that happening, they should somehow 'figure out' that their card STAYS on top, regardless of what YOU say ...but they don't - a lot of them accept what you say, THAT'S presentation.

We can all pull a few miracles off, KK is one for me, it's what I say, I let them handle my wallet, I use the mini Bike cards, so it looks more plausible. Plus I make them CHECK the wallet (I have my ways) Smile and further more, I make it sound incredibly impossible and more importantly - I try my best to CONVEY that to them, so that they themselves think, "No way this can happen..."

That's what sells the effect - I beg you to please at least give it another shot, just because YOU figure it out and YOU know how it's done, doesn't mean that THEY will too... remember, you are a magician, they aren't Smile

I ain't saying you guys are wrong, we all have our opinions... maybe this type of stuff is not your style, but you guys REALLY should give it another shot.

This reminds me of my 'Twilight Angels' mistake, which you can check out here, it isn't long:

Click Here!

All the best and take care,

Logan
Smooth Criminal Magic

You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.
the_great_stupido
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of the_great_stupido
When I first got this I was very disappointed - I posted a review on another magic site saying as much.

A couple of months later I discovered The Magic Café, where most people were raving about KK. I felt like a fool for disagreeing with these 'experts' (while I'm merely a
'hobbyist'). So I tried it out again - the spectators are really, really amazed by it. That's good enough for me.

My one slight gripe is that the cards I use (Bikes for consistency with all my other magic) are bigger than my credit cards, etc. so the cards often 'poke up' from behind the credit cards. I find that I have to readjust all my credit cards before using KK, although it only takes a second or two.

As for using mini cards - surely this lessens the effect? You could practically fit 52 mini cards in your wallet without the spec knowing, so where's the magic in that?! Smile
johnathanblades
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of johnathanblades
My favorite trick, Period.
Fred Berthelot
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
353 Posts

Profile of Fred Berthelot
I must admit I was disappointed when I got this effect. I carried KK with me for awhile without ever performing it. Finally one night, I had no cards on me, so I decided to do KK for a friend -- he was speechless (it was off by one). I've only performed it a few times since, but every time it's a killer.

I got a good wallet for it - it has a clip on the side for bills. This makes the wallet thinner than your average wallet. I only carry four credit/ID cards in it. The clip also adds to the presentation. I take the money out and place it on the table as a bet. The wallet looks really thin that way.

And if they say "How many cards do you have in there..." I open the wallet up, which actually makes it thinner, and say sarcastically "No, I don't have a whole deck in here!" Smile I think this is one that works really well for lay audiences even though the method might seem too logical to magicians. It's also nice to always be able to carry it on you...
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2250 Posts

Profile of Logan
Quote:

As for using mini cards - surely this lessens the effect? You could practically fit 52 mini cards in your wallet without the spec knowing, so where's the magic in that?! Smile

Not incredibly...I was once told that I could have a whole deck in there...but the guy was quite unsure about his own statement...as I said, I let them handle the wallet, have a look around, and it's when they believe that I can ONLY have one card in there - that's when I carry out the effect.

And no, you can't have a whole mini deck in your wallet, I carry a hip style wallet with me, it's flat and the thickest thing in there would have to be my ID card.

Also, mini cards ARE thinner, it makes the wallet bulge less Smile

All the best,

Logan
Smooth Criminal Magic

manipulator
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, Texas
319 Posts

Profile of manipulator
I think this effect is ok. I was disappointed when I first read the instructions, but then I read a lot of good reviews about it. I still haven't tried it out yet because I haven't tried finding a suitable wallet yet. When I do, I wouldn't use mini cards though. I think this will make the effect a lot worse. Not very impressive.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2250 Posts

Profile of Logan
Here's a thought,

if you don't like the fact that they have to name their card...then don't let them name it.

Use a peek device (if you have one on you at the time of performance), i.e. Thought Transmitter, SUC II, etc.

The rest should be common sense Smile

Take care guys,

Logan
Smooth Criminal Magic

kull_spider
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
115 Posts

Profile of kull_spider
I was a bit dissappointed as well. I mean people are ALWAYS goin to say 'let me see that wallet' or 'you have a whole deck' in there. Some smart-alec also say 'if you don't have the whole deck in there, u must have those commonly chosen ones' or something like that. But surprisingly enough, it does get reactions when performed to the right audience. I've read somewhere on the good and garbage section where someone uses a spceial wallet that allows you to show ONE card inside your wallet before performing this effect. I think without this kind of wallet, the trick is useless. But that's just me. Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18487 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you have ever seen Terry Seabrooke use this you would RUN RIGHT OUT AND BUY IT...

I did! Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
I've performed this probably 50 times in the last 8 months and have never failed to get a truly astonished reaction. I've performed it for family, friends, strangers, employers and potential employers (I usually close an interview with it, even though I'm interviewing for regular jobs and not magic jobs. Helps keep me differentiated from the other 45,000 applicants out there right now...)

I've had maybe 3 people make a reference to me having a "whole deck" in the wallet. I usually don't even say much, I just open the wallet and get a "riiiiight" sort of look on my face. They usually shoot down their own hypothesis.

I think this effect is bolstered by the fact that I'm nearly always 1 or 2 cards off of theirs before even going to my wallet. Using a conglomeration of techniques in Killer Konception, I usually hit the card with purely mental appearance. I then usually say that I had, truly, misinformed them...while I was trying to read my mind, they had actually read mine...because I have a favorite card..blah blah blah...

Anyway, short point made long...I love the effect and use it frequently. Smile
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
RacerX
View Profile
New user
California
9 Posts

Profile of RacerX
I have to say it's one of my top 5 card tricks. After performing it over 100 times I've come up with my own performance approach.

I can tell you, at this point, I NEVER have ANYONE ask to examine the wallet. And I probably get the "off by one" 2 out of 10 times. After all, it's a stronger reaction and a heck of allot harder to figure out if you nail their card.

I see it like this....you've already figured out the 2 common flaws in the trick, so why not adjust the trick or the presentation? I chose the presentation.

If I'm doing it for a group that is going to try to disect the trick I either "A" don't perform it or "B". Don't stand there and let them talk their way to figure it out (a lesson learned). I immediately go into another trick under disguise of telling them how I did KK. Once their brain is frying trying to "back track" KK and say OTW (or another trick of choice) you'll have them like putty in your hands.

Needless to say....I Love this Trick!

X
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1348 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
the word "bought" really shouldn't be in quotation marks. That implies that the definition of the word is subjective, which it isn't. I think you might want to reconsider purchasing this; you can still find a lot of new ideas in books like Killer Konceptions, even if you already know the basic routine.

Even if you decide not to purchase this and continue performing it anyway, you might not want to publicize such indiscretions. This forum is a strong proponent for creator rights. Using their ideas without compensating them is harmful to the magic economy.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1288 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I love this trick. I think the effect is very good. And its just fun to do, for me anyways.
If we really were miracle workers then every method we use could be criticized and dismissed.
Plus it is one of those that can be done impromptu, anytime and anyplace.
Well, those are my thoughts, there are plenty more on other threads where this effect has been discussed at length.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1450 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I don't have a problem with someone watching an effect and then coming up with a method on their own. Kevin King came up with his bill switch after watching Michael Ammar do the Koslowski handling and came up with something better.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2872 Posts

Profile of niva
First of all it's no wonder some of you do not like this effect. This topic is posted in the card tricks section. This is not a card trick, although it uses cards, but rather a mental effect, which is a lot different. This is not an Ambitious card effect... Just go and post this in the mentalism forum and you will see.

These kind of tricks do not require sleight of hand, but rather sleight of mouth. They do not require dexterity with the hands, but rather dexterity of the mind (if that makes sense at all. Smile ) Presentation is everything here. People never trouble on whether you pulled out the card before or after they named it, with the right words and presentation. You can take the approach of Mr Knepper of having an invisible deck and they eliminate cards from it. But again, with the right presentation they will not question your asking for the card. Besides, this is just like the Brainwave deck, but more portable. Everyone likes the latter and no one ever said anything about having to know the card. Logan's approach is also good.

Another important thing to remember with these effects is to never challange the spectators or tell them before hand what is going to happen (as is with most tricks).

I say, give it a shot!!! I fooled a magician with this one, too.

Ivan
Happy Easter to Everyone Smile
Yours,

Ivan
johnathanblades
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of johnathanblades
I believe some people have not been working in magic long to make such quick judgments amoung such a gem. I think all the top pro's that carry it are hoping to see a negative thread to turn some people off to it. Mabey you boys are fishing to get some "killer" tips.

I have some advance work and tips on the routine, that make it work perfect every time
and that is.......well, nevermind!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Kolossal Killer (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL