The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » No focus... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
As I have gotten back into magic after decades away, it is almost as if I have become more of a collector, rather than a magician. I have bought dozens and dozens of dvd's, effects, books, gaffed coins, silver coins, decks of cards, and on and on...

At first I thought I would direct my energy on card routines. For a while, I did. Now, only a couple of months later, I'm not sure I can remember one card trick. On to coins. With gaffs. Without Gaffs. Back to gaffs. Bobo's book. A dozen DVD's. Downloads from the internet. Too much instructional material seems to be a distraction. I can't seem to focus on any one trick long enough to perfect it before being distracted by the next new DVD or effect. And when I think I have a simple effect down, and try it out for my wife? Never really the same as when I practiced. She's a tough audience. Know's too much about magic. I get frustrated- move to another effect. I have a lifetime of tools and instructional material in front of me and can't seem to organize my own path through it.

Am I alone in this? Any suggestions??

TIA,

-A
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6113 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Not alone.

What you might try doing is deciding how you want people to see you.
Do you want them to see you as a joker, a sleight of hand artist, a streetwise guy who knows about gambling and scam, someone with a gift of mental magic, a storyteller, a romantic, etc.
Pick character close to your true personnae, find routine that might relate and go with those. Write them down as you find them. Organize them into an act.

That don't necessarily mean that when you perform for different audiences that you can't be someone knowledgable in card cheating in one act and a person with the gift of mental magic in another.
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
Thanks for the advice. Part of the problem is I admire things that take skill and are not self-working; and, I am also impatient. Maddening combination, really.

Time, and diligence will help me sort it out, I am sure.

-A
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17190 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I would agree with Jazz. Also it sounds like you are simply trying to learn way too much magic at once. You can only do so much magic. I've been at it over 50 years and probably haven't learned 10% of what is out there yet.

Also, it is easy to get distracted when the kind of practice we do is wrong. Practice can be very delusional. That is we can fool ourselves that we are doing good when we are not. I wasted a lot of time practicing wrong for years. Took me about 40 years to figure it all out.

There is a book by one of the Café members, Gerald Edmunson, Gerald on the forums, called "The Ostrich Factor". Best book on practice I ever read, and I recommend it to a lot of people, all who I have recommended it to who have given me feedback swear by it. He covers what it took me 40 years to learn.

It is available from http://theostrichfactor.com/abouttheauthor.htm

Well worth a read.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
Thanks for pointing me towards the book-
Sounds like it might just be the ticket for me!

-A
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
525 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On 2008-10-16 23:52, Father Photius wrote:
"The Ostrich Factor" Best book on practice...covers what it took me 40 years to learn.
That is gospel!
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Allen I was in a similar situation. While going through a bitter divorce I lost my entire library (books and videos) along my collection of magic. At the time I was a full time professional with a great ratio of repeat business. Now I never got completely out of magic but I stopped performing. This went on for about seven years until I came to my senses and realized that magic was as much a part of me as the need to breath. It was at that point I started looking for ways to perform for real people. Because I knew that this was the best way to get my chops back. Restaurants were out of the question now that I have a full time day job and I was looking for something right away.

I settled on busking. It gives me the freedom work as much as I want when ever I want. But most of all it allows me to perform magic for real people over and over again and that is the only way to get good.
...the magic that creates Memories!
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
Ten months after I started this thread I ordered Gerald Edmundson's book, "The Ostrich Factor".

Wish I'd done it when it was first recommended to me. So far, I think it will be a big help.

I may be a little slow; but, I still get there...

-A
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1025 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I totally agree that THE OSTRICH FACTOR is a great book. You may also want to check out MAXIMUM ENTERTAINMENT by Ken Weber. We all know enough tricks, let's work on entertaining our audiences.

Mark
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
306 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Thanks fellows for your comments about my book. Mark, I most certainly agree. MAXIMUM ENTERTAINMENT by Ken Weber is a GREAT book.

Thanks again!
Gerald
jeffdell
View Profile
New user
Nashua, NH
66 Posts

Profile of jeffdell
Hi Allen,

I'm also in a similar situation. After a 20+ year hiatus from practicing magic I have found myself getting back into it. As you have said, there is an overwhelming urge to work on something for a bit and then move on to the next effect\routine\etc, even if the very thing I've been working on hasn't been mastered. Today ambitious card, tomorrow coins across, and the next day cups and balls! This gets quite expensive as I've developed a collection of half read books, and half watched DVDs! Particularly since each one of these effects could be the basis of a very strong routine Smile.

The biggest thing that has helped me focus is what Jaz had said about finding an angle\character\presentation style to work on. I'm still able to work on the effects themself but I'm able to try and practice "in character" rather than just practicing slights\tricks. Hope this helps!

Jeff
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3611 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I have the same problem- we should start a club!

The one thing that helps me the most, is to schedule a performance. Once I know that I will be stage front at some specific date (allowing enough time to prepare) I quit wasting my time and start serious focused practice...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
supra97
View Profile
New user
nj
37 Posts

Profile of supra97
Im having the same problem exactly as you guys, This website doesn't help, everytime I see something new, I have to get it. I hope this book is the last thing ill have to get for awhile. lol
Supra
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3547 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I often write a list of the things I want to pursue.

It is unrealistically long, so, I decide what I would use it for and when that might come up.

What show is coming up next?

I like to practice several things in shifts but not more than 5 at a time. 5 is more than plenty.

It takes a while longer but if you are vigilant in your practice eventually all 5 get better and your need to jump around is fulfilled.

-Mary Mowder
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
306 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Father Photius,
Thanks again and again for your recommendation for The Ostrich Factor. I do appreciate it! The link given above is no longer active. This is the active link for information about the book:

http://www.geraldedmundson.com/tof1/bookorder.htm

Thanks again, Father!

Best regards,
Gerald
Soniczjx
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Soniczjx
I kind of have the same question. I always want to buy magic books, I know I cannot read all of them, but sometimes those good books just out of print and need to spend much more to get them, so I always try to get magic books as much as I can. Ah, magic is an expensive hobby.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » No focus... (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL