The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » ParaLies - new mentalism from Joshua Quinn (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
That sounds great Joshua....keep us posted on how you go with the software....SOFTWARE???? this sounds intriguing....are you talking about computer software????....the plot thickens Smile
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Yes, I mean computer software. The process behind Thought Chunnel and the Billion Monkeys Book Test is something I've dubbed "chunneling." Doing it is fairly simple once it's worked out, but working out different ways of using it in different situations can be extremely complex, tedious, and time-consuming... at least, for humans. However, it's the sort of task that's ideally suited for computers. So I'm working with a programmer on an application that will make it easy to adapt the process to one's own circumstances. Once it's ready, it will be released along with an entire book of chunneling-based routines. (The two in ParaLies only begin to scratch the surface of what can be done with the concept.) My hope is that I'll also be able to turn it into an iPhone app, because being able to use it spontaneously and semi-covertly would open up a whole other range of possibilities.

And yachanin, I forgot to say before, thanks for the account of your performance. I love hearing success stories like that, and I'm very gratified that you've found it useful.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
I encourage a speedy release of this addendum to Paralies Quinn Smile sorry for my pushy greed Smile what timeline are you looking at for this?
p.s Yachanin, you are a gentleman
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi kambiz,

Thank you for your kinds words.

Regards, Steve
LukePreston
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of LukePreston
Quote:
On 2009-01-01 00:26, kambiz wrote:
Steve and Joshua, they are great stories, but as has been mentioned in previous posts, Thought Chunnel is very much skewed to American participants, and coming from Australia myself, I find it difficult to entertain this effect alone as a reason to purchase the book....can Thought Chunnel be easily adapted to "G'day Mate" "Shrimps on the barbie" equivoque!!

Yours Aussiely
Kam

I don't think it is ALL that difficult to adapt 'Thought Chunnel' to another country. It will take a little work, but I think Joshua is simply trying to be scrupulously fair in perhaps exaggerating how much work. I've come up with components to make it UK-friendly without too much effort, and it's certainly worth it.
dunlop
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, UK
201 Posts

Profile of dunlop
If you take some time, I guess that it could be done in almost any language.
Well I don't know if in all the existing languages, but I've already adapted The Billion Monkeys Book Test to spanish and french. The Thought Chunnel is also possible, but it will take some more time.

Besides, if in your language, you can't perform any of those two, it really doesn't matter, the book is still worthy, Paralies has so much more to offer.

I'm personally very surprised with C.S.I.C.O.P. Soooo goood.

-Mr. Quinn, I'm a Latinoamerican Literature Professor, so I'm also a word geek, but in spanish. Great to read your love for words.

Cheers,
Nicolas.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
I just started to read last night and stopped somewhere around page 65

All I can say:

Very nice book, good ieas and very well written,

All thumbs up!!!

Hope to have time to read tonight or soon again...

:)
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Thanks Nicolas and Dr. E! Yes, I suspect Thought Chunnel could be adapted for pretty much anywhere -- I just don't have the knowledge to do it. It's not simply a matter of translating it to a different language, but also a different culture. (Sorry for the vagueness; those who have it will understand what I mean.)

Yo estudiaba al español hace seis años, pero eso era muchos años pasado, y ahora mi español es horrible. Viva los geeks de palabras!
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
dunlop
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, UK
201 Posts

Profile of dunlop
Hey, your spanish, is not that bad, not at all. But then, I don't know how much time it took you to write that...
Anyway, yes, viva los geeks de palabra!

A Little question:
I'm assuming that the software will only be useful to who pretend to do chunneling in english. Or I'm completely wrong? (I hope).

Cheers,

Nicolas
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Actually, the software should be adaptable to any language.
dunlop
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, UK
201 Posts

Profile of dunlop
Then you can count with me as soon it is available. I'll buy it right away.
Please let us know when it is ready.

Cheers,

Nicolas.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Joshua,

Will the software be available for Mac as well as PC? Without knowing what type of software program you are developing, it's hard to guess how simple or difficult it would be to make it compatible with both platforms.

Regards, Steve
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Yes Steve, that was one of my initial, non-negotiable requirements (being a Mac user since the 80s myself). The program is actually fairly simple conceptually. In fact, at the height of my whopping two-semester programming prowess, I probably could have written a version myself for my school's old VAX mainframe... but that was quite a while ago.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Joshua,

A VAX mainframe? That WAS quite some time ago Smile I'm glad to hear it will be available for both platforms. From one Mac user to another...

Regards, Steve
LukePreston
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of LukePreston
I'm a bit late to the party but I just want to add my voice to the chorus of praise for this book. In all honesty, I didn't take anything I'd use from it other than 'Thought Chunnel' (and the excellent examination of equivoque ideas), but the book is worth it for that idea alone and anything else is gravy.

'Thought Chunnel' plays so, so well. And it's also such a cool concept which you can toy around with and thus derive enormous satisfaction from creating your own chunnels and outcomes, making it feel like your own.

If you're on the fence regarding 'Paralies', I don't think you could regret getting hold of it.
The CiscoKid
View Profile
Loyal user
Manassas Park, VA
268 Posts

Profile of The CiscoKid
Joshua,

You can count me in as I have both a MAC and an iPhone.

Still reading Paralies, so far it is outstanding! Ascension arrived today, can't wait to get going with it as well.

Thanks,

Omar
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
...Just another round of praise.

This past week I used the Thought Chunnel with an idea of Doug Dyment's together for a few executives at "the office". The president of the company could not believe what had happened. He was so taken with the experience all he could do was nervously laugh. It was both a joyful and disturbing experience for him.

Also, Charles Pecor told me to tell you (Mr. Quinn) how happy he was that I pointed him towards this book. He was truly impressed (as am I).

Thanks,

Sean
ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
This is one of the most interesting books I have read this year. Thank you
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
Can anyone please review at least some of the effects for us? I'm already sold but it would be great to learn more. thank you.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2009-02-19 16:44, daghank wrote:
Can anyone please review at least some of the effects for us? I'm already sold but it would be great to learn more. thank you.

Check out the podcast with Joshua and Alvo Stockman (http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1928). There's a discussion of some of the effects as well as a by-telephone demo of a couple of them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » ParaLies - new mentalism from Joshua Quinn (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL