The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » A Swindle of Sorts by Paul Curry (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Hi all,

I'm looking for "A Swindle of Sorts" by Paul Curry. I know that it's in "Paul Curry Presents" (1974), which is out of print. And of course, used copies of this book are rather expensive...

That said, I believe this trick is described in "Scarne On Card Tricks", but with a different name.

Does someone know what it is?

Thanks in advance.
My English sucks, I know it. It's probably better than your French anyway...
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Picard
I don't remember this effect being in Scarne On Card Tricks.
Are you only interested in Curry's presentation or the principle involved? Because, there are quite a few other good routines utilizing the "deal or switch" principle.
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
I'm looking for Curry's original routine, but good variations are welcome, of course.
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
It can be found on page 245 in the book "Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond" (Hermetic Press 2001).
I don't know if it's available, but it is filled with great tricks.

It contains the original writeup for out of this world as well as Mr Currys "improvement" The Best Of Possible Worlds from 1974.

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Now out of print but its a great book, Paul Curry's Worlds beyond.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
This is a fantastic effect. The Curry original involves dealing cards one by one, then switching the positions of two to show that this places the cards out of sequence (because they start in ace-through-king order). Then the magician says he'll move some of the cards around and has the spectator stop him three times during the deal to switch cards. At the end, the cards are back in ace-through-king order, proving that the magician psychologically influenced the spectator to interrupt the deal at the proper places. Hope that makes sense. As I said, the effect is excellent.

Oh yes, the best part is that you are set up to do The Lazy Man's Card Trick. Just place your stack to the bottom of the deck, do a center Hindu shuffle, keeping it there and you're all set to go into LMCT. I love this as an impromptu way to perform an incredibly easy (technically speaking, of course) routine of card magic when someone asks you to perform. You can just borrow a deck and go into some great magic... all from a spectator-shuffled deck. Enjoy.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
There's a very good version available called "Mix'n'Match" in Peter Duffie's "The Legacy of Dave Campbell" available from International Magic, London.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2008-12-13 07:26, Leo-Kim wrote:
It can be found on page 245 in the book "Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond" (Hermetic Press 2001).
I don't know if it's available, but it is filled with great tricks.

It contains the original writeup for out of this world as well as Mr Currys "improvement" The Best Of Possible Worlds from 1974.

Mikael Johansson
Sweden

You are correct Mikael, it is in that book. What exactly did Bikoz want to know about the trick, it is essentially self working. I also have the original in Paul Curry Presents.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
I know the effect but I wanted to read Curry's original text. I wanted to know if this trick could be found under another name in Scarne's book (which someone had suggested in another thread).
robini
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
684 Posts

Profile of robini
It's not much help to you, and my copies of both books are in storage right now pending a move, so I can't consult either right now, but I'm almost certain that the Curry effect under discussion here isn't described anywhere in "Scarne On Card Tricks." I had the latter years before I obtained Paul Curry Presents, and hadn't looked at the Scarne book much for awhile by the time I obtained the Curry book, but I had combed though everything in the Scarne book fairly thoroughly many times years prior to that, and the Curry effect didn't closely resemble anything I remembered seeing in Scarne's book.

Of course I could be mistaken, and if you don't learn anything before then, I'll try to skim through the Scarne book in search of anything which might resemble the Curry effect when I'm able to, although it's hard to predict right now how long that might be, so someone else here may well be able to come up with a definitive answer sooner.

Posted: Apr 12, 2009 12:00pm
-------------------------------
Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten my magic library "unboxed" (this has been the slowest moving process in my life, for reasons too complicated and uninteresting to go into here), but for something to kill some spare time with a few days ago, I managed to dig out the Garcia/Schindler book "Magic With Cards", it's not being as deeply buried as the Scarne and Curry books, and in skimming through it to review the contents, having not looked at it for many years, I ran across what I believe to be essentially the Curry effect under discussion here. It's not as well-described as in the Curry book, with less attention to subtle presentational details etc. (and with no credit to Curry or anyone else as is true of most of the other tricks in the book, although I can't say with certainty whether Curry should be fully credited for originating the effect or not), but as memory best serves, I believe it's the same basic handling and effect.

Since I'm still pretty sure that no handling of this effect is described in the Scarne book, is it possible that you were (or someone was) confusing the Scarne book with the Garcia/Schindler one, as they're both essentially "beginner" card magic books?
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Here is a video of my version of the Curry Swindle . . . I call it "Predict".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSjOA2IiKvo

All comments are welcome,
Greg Rostami
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Greg,

Outstanding presentation and presentation ploy.

Of course, just "another day in the life of" that I've come to expect when watching you perform magic.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Greg,

This is a beautiful version of the trick. I love how you had the spectator not only deal the cards, but how you allowed him to decide whether to follow you or not, and finally to repeat it. You've really stretched the idea and as a result, this is really impossible. I can imagine this performed for a large group and the response you would receive as it builds. Well done!
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Thank you very much guys . . .

This is one of my favorite tricks in my repertoire. It's one of these amazing things you can do with either any deck or even with just 10 business cards. I've often performed this with my business cards with 1-10 written on their backs.

On the above video performance I didn't do all of my usual acting when I'm "looking into the future". I close my eyes, strain, and look down on the table as I pan my head from left to write as I acknowledge each card that I'm seeing in the future.

When I write the prediction, I also make 1 or 2 mistakes on the prediction that I cross out and correct. When the spec is reading the prediction, I explain "the images of these 2 cards was a little blurry, but when I concentrated harder their identity became clear."

Greg Rostami
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Lovely variation Greg. The Mix 'n' Match I mentioned earlier allows the spectator to choose how many cards to deal to the table in each turn.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi Roger . . .

Can you tell me a little more about the effect of Mix 'n' Match, and how it's different from the original Curry Swindle?

thank you,
Greg Rostami
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Greg,

Until I see the video I was not aware that it was possible to use the Sw-n-l- Sw-t-h apart from Curry's original routine. It opens up new perspectives.

And your plot and prensentation are awesome, too!

Thank you vey much for sharing with us!
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
@robini: thank you for the hard "unboxing process" Smile
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi bikoz,
Thank you for your compliment.

Now, I have a big question from my fellow magicians.

Do you think my take on the Curry Swindle is original enough to be sold for $5??

Or is it too close to Paul Curry's original method that I shouldn't release this as a product?

Greg Rostami
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
As far as I am concerned $5 is OK for your routine. I fact, I was just about to ask you if I could purchase it somewhere...

I do think It's a great addition to Curry's principle and routine.

Of course, some people may think $5 is way too much for a single routine, because for $20 or $30 you can a get a book with many routines...

Like everyone here, I like real books. But sometimes you only need/want to learn (or just read) one routine in particular and having the choice to buy only what you need is a great thing, in my humble opinion.

For example, I have recently bought "Devastation" from Geoff Williams for $5. It's not publicly available, but I have simply asked Geoff! And I have bought several $5 eBooks from Lybrary.com too.

Yes, eBooks are great!

Feel free to send me a PM me if you need a "beta tester". I will pay the $5, of course Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » A Swindle of Sorts by Paul Curry (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL