The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Looking for an antenna hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MTaylor2002
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of MTaylor2002
Hi,

I am a novice at balloon sculptures. I can do the basics and a few intermediate-level pieces, but I don't have a good foundation in balloon twisting skills. I need to be able to make a balloon hat that could pass for an insect-like headdress. I definitely need two antenna and maybe eyes if possible. Can anyone send me some basic directions or point me in the right direction? Is there anything on the net? I found this set of instructions ( http://www.twistedmind.nl/sample/anten.htm ), but with my limited balloon background, I am still struggling a bit to fully understand. Can anyone suggest anything else? An online video would be ideal for a novice like me!

Thanks for any help!
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
You need something MORE basic than this???? ( http://www.twistedmind.nl/sample/anten.htm )

Not to be rude, but what are you making with balloons? Worms? What are you considering basic and intermediate level?

My suggestion, find another balloon artist local to you and jam. Because if you can't follow the instructions on the sample you gave .... well, there is always stamp collecting.

As to your question: http://www.balloonhq.com/photos/db/complete.php?id=66396

Recipe:
1-350
2-260's
2-5"rounds

Reaction ....Priceless.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
MTaylor2002
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of MTaylor2002
Quote:
On 2008-11-18 08:58, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
You need something MORE basic than this???? ( http://www.twistedmind.nl/sample/anten.htm )

Not to be rude, but what are you making with balloons? Worms? What are you considering basic and intermediate level?

My suggestion, find another balloon artist local to you and jam. Because if you can't follow the instructions on the sample you gave .... well, there is always stamp collecting.

Yes, Mark, it is possible to be beyond "worm" making and still be unfamiliar with certain techniques. For example, I studied and taught martial arts for years. It's possible for a student to know many intermediate and advanced techniques but not be familiar with some basic exercises or movements simply because all schools and teachers don't teach the same things. In other instances, what one school might consider a “basic” technique is considered an “intermediate” technique in another -- get it? Hope so.

In spite of the tone of your comments, I’m going to assume your intentions were good and leave it at that.

Now if you (or anyone else) really want to be helpful, here is specifically where I get stuck. In the fifth step it says, "If you roll your loose knot, the remaining balloon is not tight anymore, and you can cut and discard those unused portions a bit more easily. Cut off loose ends." I'm not clear what is meant by "rolling" a "loose knot" so that the ends become loose enough to be cut off without destroying the rest of the sculpture. If someone can explain this to me or, again, point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
I'll try and do my best to explain "rolling a knot." However, I would suggest following Mark's advice and go to a balloon jam or get together with a more advanced twister if possible.

All you are doing when rolling a knot is actually tightening it. However, you are tightening it towards the open end of the balloon. So when you originally tie a knot in the balloon, you don't pull it all the way tight. Then when you are done twisting, but want the first section of the balloon to have less pressure and to be softer, you "roll" the knot. A softer balloon is easier to shape and has less chance of popping than a balloon that has more pressure inside and is hard.

I think a good analogy for "rolling a knot" would be if you tied a loose knot in a piece of rope. There are two ways I can think of to tighten the knot in the rope. You can pull on the rope on either side of the knot, or you can grab the knot and pull it to either side. "Rolling a knot" in a balloon is very akin to tightening a knot in a rope by pulling the knot to the side.

I hope this helps,

Steve
MTaylor2002
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of MTaylor2002
Steve,

Yes, that helps a lot. I understand the principle now and will play with this a bit. And yes, Mark's suggestion about sitting down with someone more experienced is an ideal solution. I'm still looking for that person, but in the meantime, thanks for the help!
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

This may sound stupid .... I don't read instructions!!!! Smile

I looked at the pictures, and what I saw is....

twist two balloons together
ear twist
twist the other ends together and trim
make two bubbles in white
draw eyes
poodle pop the ends
wear

If you had asked the specific question, I would have answered it different. When you state intermediate, I assume a person can make a teddy bear or a multiple balloon hat. All with in the reach of the example hat.

Sorry if I sound cranky .... I do try to interject humor into my posts. However, my facial expression don't come through the monitor. Smile

So....... nobody liked the Flik?
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
Inflate 2 x 260 less six inches. Twist together at nozzle ends with 1" bubbles and hide nozzles. Size to head and twist; twist off two small loop/ear twists. Shape antennas, and poodle tail the tips. Wear antennae forward: insect/bug/snail. Wear at rear: Martian.

MT2002: Bad...Balloon DVDs have great material, plus a teach-in section that covers numerous twists in clear, crank-free presentation; highly recommended.

Smiley: Love the Flik; using two 350's?
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

One 350, two 260s and 2 rounds.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Looking for an antenna hat (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL