The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Origin of the "Thin Model" Rising Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chris
View Profile
Special user
lybrary.com
955 Posts

Profile of Chris
I am wondering if the new production run of AMY risers has ever taken place. Does anybody have any info?
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Chris I was wondering the same thing. I have two originals in TallyHo and now am looking for bicycle versions.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2476 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I've got an ARNE deck in Bikes that a friend bought for me in the USA during his holiday. It's quality/manufacture is pathetic if I'm honest, despite the $35 price tag! They are unreliable rubbish and I'd never dream of using them commercially. The instructions are also a complete and utter joke - such dealers should be banished from the fraternity as they are clearly focussed purely upon profit rather than advancing the art of magic.

By comparison, I have a Devano Deck made in Alf Cooke cards, manufactured by Mitch Devano in the early 1970's. It still works an absolute dream.

As for the 'slimmest' version of the Rising Cards - I think the slimmest version of rising cards I have is a gimmick by Gus Southall - and released by Ken Brooke in 1968. It's only 2 card thick and can be added to any deck - making it examinable.
Barry Allen

Mercedes-Benz W123 Series.............undoubtedly Stuttgart's finest hour.
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of Mowee
I have found a guy who makes them today...he either makes the 8 card or a 5 card one. They are being shipped to me and will report on the quality.
Jim Mullen
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Tahoe, California
346 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen
Mowee,

I would like to know who sells the A.M.Y. deck; please let me know by PM if you do not wish to post your findings.

I used the original Devano for many years--purchased from Magic, Inc.--and used it for the Don Alan routine. It is nice, and the use of the pin system is reliable and somewhat permanent in that there is no need to put on new tape.

Later, I purchased the thin model from Paul Diamond, and found it more practical than the original Devano, although it was not quite as robust.

Still, I think the thin model deck is preferable for several reasons. First, there is little likelihood of flashing the gaff. Second, the deck can be handled much more normally, e.g. you can do overhand and Hindu shuffles. Third, you can allow the rising to take place in the spectators' hands as is done in Whit Haydn's remarkable and powerful routine.

Incidentally, I agree with the argument that the face card of the gaff should be a court card--my Devano uses the King of Hearts. I do not recall what the Paul Diamond version had, but I think (from the above comments) it probably was the A.M.Y deck, which would have had the court card on the face of the gaff.

From a magic store, I purchased today's standard-issue, rising card deck and was disappointed. The gimmick is made up from twelve cards, which is good. The face card is the Ace of Clubs, which does not camouflage the gaff as well as a court card would. The tape is mounted on a small square cut from a playing card, and this became dislodged from the thread. Finally, there are no gromets as there are in the original Devano. I am not sure these are essential or even desirable, but he lack of them reduces the longevity of the deck. Finally, the mechanism is not nearly as smooth as with the Devano or with the first thin-gimmick model I purchased from Paul Diamond.

Incidentally, Mowee, it is pretty simple to convert a Tally Ho gimmick to work with a Bicycle deck: just replace the top card of the gimmick.

Jim
Jim Mullen

Lake Tahoe
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24128 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Why ask mowee, Jim? Ask Barry Gibbs. The AMY deck is his. You might be able to send him a private message if you check the first post in this thread.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Bill...I had posted hoping Barry would make it again. But not sure if he is still around of what happened. As I said I have two of his originals, but now needed them in Bikes since my Tally Ho's are getting rarer.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24128 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You may be able to track him down by clicking on the link in one of the posts he left. It won't take you directly to him, but the people where that post leads may be able to help you.

Regarding Tally-Ho's getting rare -- where have you looked? Kardwell has them. Murphy's doesn't have them at this time. I think some of the "street magic" sites that had them at one time have switched over to some of these trendy bike cards. But your gambling houses are probably going to be your best bet for these.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Yeah Bill...I am going to check out Gamblers Warehouse in Vegas this week when I am there. I love Tally Hos but since as of now USPC ain't making them....oh well gotta adapt.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2768 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I have just published a downloadable video on the Thin-Model Rising Card Deck. It is thirty minutes long, teaching my routine and handling.

Available at http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p111/Pop_......deo.html

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Origin of the "Thin Model" Rising Cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.62 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL