The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Question About Royal Road (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMunkey
View Profile
New user
Nashville
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMunkey
I am aware of a few different editions and it's basically the hardcover or Dover softcover versions. Is there a difference? Am I OK with the Dover version or is it wortwhile to spend the extra $10. on the hardcover one?
-Chris
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
The only differemce is one will look better on your shelf! But if you're going to keep it in your bag and read it on the train then paperback would be better.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Paper or hardcover makes no difference...it's the contents that counts and it's on paper.

Cardamagically,
Dom
:) Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Dover reset the type when they published their edition, so the page numbers don't match the hardcover edition, but otherwise it's the same. There is also a .pdf version available from http://www.trickshop.com if you want to have a copy on your laptop. The .pdf is not indexed.
I personally like the hard cover, but I do have the .pdf on my laptop and it's nice for quick reference.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
The version I have is the UK paperback by Foulsham (the same people that produce Old Moore's Almanac!). It has an unattractive font used throughout, but the material is the same as any other copy.
Dante_Ravenkin
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of Dante_Ravenkin
The only major difference I've found, is that the illustrations in the hard cover edition are smaller then the Dover edition.
'For Those Who Believe, No Explanation is Necessary. For Those Who Do Not, None Will Suffice.' - Joseph Dunninger

~Kirk~
MagicMunkey
View Profile
New user
Nashville
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMunkey
Thanks everyone. I was 99% sure there was no (big) difference but I had no luck with a Café search. Anyhow, got the paperback for $5.54 shipping included on Ebay.
homegrown
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
85 Posts

Profile of homegrown
Hey Hollowman,
I was on amazon and didn’t even see a cheap hardcover… the cheapest was $40- vs. $9 for paperback… Where did you find your cheap hardcover?
MagicMunkey
View Profile
New user
Nashville
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMunkey
There is a used hardcover in good condition for $4.75 on Amazon. It's the fourth or fifth listing-scroll down a little. The Magic Warehouse has new hardcovers for $13.
homegrown
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
85 Posts

Profile of homegrown
Thanks Hollowman,

How do you find this book? I took a peek inside via amazon, and slightly less illustrations than I thought (at least compared to MW's CCIM). I've heard there are some pretty solid tricks- and it is a foundation builder. But if I have CCIM, would you recommend that I get this also? I was thinking of buying this for expanding the library, and hopefully the number of tricks I can perform
Thanks!
MagicMunkey
View Profile
New user
Nashville
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMunkey
Homegrown-
I can't tell you about the book because I don't have it yet. And, being an amature, I may not be the best person to ask, anyway. But if you want to take your card work to the next level, my research verifies again and again that Royal Road and/or Card College are the best places to start.
Jeff Hinchliffe
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, ON Canada
280 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hinchliffe
HollowMan,

I see you live in Toronto. I work at a magic shop in toronto, http://www.browsersden.com and we sell both the hardcover and softcover versions of Royal Road.

Come by this saturday if you're not busy, as it's our monthly magic club and there'll be a bunch of magicians sessioning and just hanging out... you can check out both copies of the book and see which you prefer...

Jeff
Pick a card, any card...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Question About Royal Road (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL