The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell Coins Across (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
I like David Roth's Shell Coin Across routine and use it. The spectators also like it, why change?

-Morten-
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2009-01-11 17:03, allen_m wrote:
Roth's Coins Across w- [ as in the linked video, and on his Ultimate Coin Magic vol 1 DVD does not require the aforementioned counting; except for the fourth coin.

Ah but it DOES require re-handling - which is what I said in my previous post, allen:

Quote:
"...constant re-counting (or re-handling)..."

After the first coin "travels", Roth takes "one" of the remaining three (the nested ]) into his right hand in order to facilitate the next transposition - re-handling #1

After the second coin "travels", Roth takes "one" of the remaining two (the nested ]) into his right hand in order to facilitate the next transposition - re-handling #2

This re-handling of the coins is what I was referring to that is common with many SCA routines (but is not necessary). I'm a proponent of Ortiz's "No Contact Condition" (Strong Magic, p. 67-69), and I believe if it's possible to avoid openly handling the nested coin each time [with the other hand] immediately prior to its transposition then you will have a stronger effect.

The Roth version [linked above] fails Ortiz's "No Contact" test and is weakened because of that failure. Does this mean that version is no good? Not at all; I'm sure virtually any layman would be fooled by it. But it does mean that it's not as strong as it could be, and that is what I stated in my previous post.

There are stronger versions of the SCA out there - although the ones I favor are currently unpublished.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Thomas Wayne, If you are talking about the routine on this video : http://vaude.tv/time-to-be-awesome-episode-05.html
this is not correct at all.
Quote:
On 2009-01-11 18:40, Thomas Wayne wrote:

After the first coin "travels", Roth takes "one" of the remaining three (the nested ]) into his right hand in order to facilitate the next transposition - re-handling #1

After the second coin "travels", Roth takes "one" of the remaining two (the nested ]) into his right hand in order to facilitate the next transposition - re-handling #2

He don't touch the sh**l before he "travels" coin number three, and after that he only thouch the sh**1 one time more.
In this routine you will not hear the "revealing sh**l noise"

I don't say more, buy the routine from David Roth if you like it...I do Smile

-Morten-
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I really like Jon Allen's version from his Spectator's Don't Exist DVD. Although all of the stages take place in the spectator's hands, he only uses three coins so the routine doesn't drag, and the last stage is the only one in the closed fist. Seems to get great reactions. And he lets the spectators examine the coins before the routine.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2009-01-11 23:05, MortenN wrote:
[...]
He don't touch the sh**l before he "travels" coin number three, and after that he only touch the sh**1 one time more.
[...]

I believe you are mistaken. At around 14:30 or so he sets two coins down on the table and then apparently reaches over to allow his right hand to take one of the two remaining coins. In this action (14:35) the hands come completely together [and a coin is unsh**led and dropped into a loose finger p**m in the right hand]. To make matters worse, the hands then separate with one coin in each hand before the coin that will supposedly "travel" is replaced in the left hand. This completely qualifies as what I am calling "re-handling" in the above posts, and it is this type of weakness that prevents the routine from being as strong as it can be.

I'm glad you like the routine. I don't, but that is because I believe there are stronger versions out there.

Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 03:17, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-11 23:05, MortenN wrote:
[...]
He don't touch the sh**l before he "travels" coin number three, and after that he only touch the sh**1 one time more.
[...]

I believe you are mistaken. At around 14:30 or so he sets two coins down on the table and then apparently reaches over to allow his right hand to take one of the two remaining coins. In this action (14:35) the hands come completely together [and a coin is unsh**led and dropped into a loose finger p**m in the right hand]. To make matters worse, the hands then separate with one coin in each hand before the coin that will supposedly "travel" is replaced in the left hand. This completely qualifies as what I am calling "re-handling" in the above posts, and it is this type of weakness that prevents the routine from being as strong as it can be.

I'm glad you like the routine. I don't, but that is because I believe there are stronger versions out there.

Thomas Wayne

Thomas Wayne, have you this routine from David Roth on any DVD etc., or are this only guessing from you?

-Morten-
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 10:18, MortenN wrote:
[...]
Thomas Wayne, have you this routine from David Roth on any DVD etc., or are this only guessing from you?

-Morten-

Yes, MortenN, I have this routine; this is not guessing from me. The routine from Roth, with the EXACT handling seen in the above linked video, is at least 25 years old.

But, for whatever reason, you are obviously missing my point. Anytime, in any hand-to-hand transposition effect, that your hands come together there is a point of weakness. The actual fine points of the sleights involved are irrelevant.

Suppose, instead of a sh**l, a magician had a way for a coin to REALLY travel by pure magic between the hands. But now suppose that in order for this magic to happen, the closed fists had to touch together for a few seconds. Even though the transposition would be accomplished through real magic, the effect - from the viewpoint of the audience - would be weakened because of the need to hold the fists together. The audience may very well say, "Wow, he's really good at sleight of hand. I couldn't even see him sneak that coin from one fist to the other!", but it's unlikely they would think it was genuine magic.

So let me ask you a question: do you have a copy of Darwin Ortiz's "Strong Magic", or are you at least familiar with his "No Contact Condition" essay? Do you understand why bringing the hands together and re-handling the coins between phases weakens the effect?

TW
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Good points.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Quote:
Anytime, in any hand-to-hand transposition effect, that your hands come together there is a point of weakness.

Not if there's sufficient motivation there isn't.
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 12:57, Thomas Wayne wrote:

Yes, MortenN, I have this routine; this is not guessing from me. The routine from Roth, with the EXACT handling seen in the above linked video, is at least 25 years old.

Okay, take a lock at your DVD and you will see you have wrong description of the routine. Your text description are not like the routine on my DVD from David Roth we are talking about in this thread! Maybe my DVD not are 25 years old, and David have make a better routine. Smile
I am not trying to make a discussion, only emphasize a little mistake.

-Morten-
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 15:34, MortenN wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 12:57, Thomas Wayne wrote:

Okay, take a lock at your DVD and you will see you have wrong description of the routine. Your text description are not like the routine on my DVD from David Roth we are talking about in this thread! Maybe my DVD not are 25 years old, and David have make a better routine. Smile
I am not trying to make a discussion, only emphasize a little mistake.

-Morten-

The "little mistake" is all yours, MortenN. I'm sorry you can't understand what I'm saying, but I'm not wrong about how the routine is accomplished and I'm not wrong about Roth bringing his hands together at each phase.

I am, however, done arguing with you. Believe whatever you want.

TW
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 14:53, rutabaga wrote:
Quote:
Anytime, in any hand-to-hand transposition effect, that your hands come together there is a point of weakness.

Not if there's sufficient motivation there isn't.

Okay. So is it your position that "sufficiently motivated" repeated contact between the two hands [in a transposition effect] is JUST AS MAGICAL as it would be if the hands remain several feet apart and never came close to each other? Equal strength of magic?

TW
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
Hi TW,

Do you feel a Translocation effect is better then? I know John Mendoza on his "MY Best' DVD feels the Translocation effect is the best coin trick you can do.

Since the coins are in rows, and the hands are separated, it does look more like real magic to me then a standing coins across routine.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I do D. Roth´s fine routine and it works very well in real life, sure.
I have done it many times for laymen and they love it.
Many times they think its real magic because they think you have coins in your sleeves, even if you work in a t-shirt...(that is funny)

The fourth coin is a killer in D. Roth´s routine.
Its very difficult for the spectator to remember all details - they mostly remember that the coins just transposed in that particular effect.

First time I saw Roth´s Coins Across routine I was almost freaking out (and, Im a magician)
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Quote:
On 2008-12-26 20:09, Eric Jones wrote:
Have you had an opportunity to check out my Impossible Coins Across?

One word...INSANE! I saw this live at a lecture. You keep saying to yourself, "you've got to be kidding me". Definitely looks like real magic. Probably one of the most visual, impossible coins across I've ever seen either in person or on video. And the best thing is, it's done in the spectators hands. What more can you ask for. Great routine eric, great thinking too Smile
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Where do you find the Impossible Coins Across routine? Is that on Menage Et Trois?
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
It's in Eric's "Fingertips (Part 1)" notes....
MacIrish
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of MacIrish
Eric,

How does Impossible Coins Across compare with your new "SVCA"? Which also involves the spectator?

Michael
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Thanks, Rutabaga!
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
MacIrish, Impossible Coins Across is gaffed, SVCA is not.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell Coins Across (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL