The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » AOA hidden gems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Hey guys tomorrow at work I'm in a position were I have to sit down for 12 hours and not much more, to bide the time I want your opinions on the best effect to learn from AOA 2 or 3 (don't have 1).
I know I cannot learn an effect to present perfectly for those that will mention it, but it will help my day go quicker and that's what I need!

Only requirements are standard deck, no dupes, extras etc

What you think?

P.s. I leave for work in 7 hours.

Cheers.
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
You should look at the toc... it explains (brief description) of each effect.

I'll give you the links if you want
but remember I'm just providing it I didn't make it or anything.

vol 2.
http://magicref.tripod.com/books/harrisaoa2.htm

vol.3
http://magicref.tripod.com/books/harrisaoa3.htm

And just in case you have any other books here
http://magicref.tripod.com/books.htm

Hope it helps. you could print it and put it in the books.
dyrwolf
View Profile
New user
The timbers of Fennario
94 Posts

Profile of dyrwolf
Just read them. Look for ideas you can use to create your own effects.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
It occurs to me that reading the book might help to pass the time better than wasting time learning what other people think you should learn. All that will do is ensure that you do the same over-used stuff that every other magi-wannabe is does. Paul Harris’ material has become the Scotch and Soda of card magic. Every kid who knows three card tricks knows two Paul Harris effects.

Plus, asking people you don't know, to choose material for you, is the worst possible way to build a repertoire.
Cardguy52
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Cardguy52
Reset
limo service
interlaced vanish

and those are just some on the gems.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Quote:
On 2009-01-01 19:29, wsduncan wrote:
It occurs to me that reading the book might help to pass the time better than wasting time learning what other people think you should learn. All that will do is ensure that you do the same over-used stuff that every other magi-wannabe is does. Paul Harris’ material has become the Scotch and Soda of card magic. Every kid who knows three card tricks knows two Paul Harris effects.

Plus, asking people you don't know, to choose material for you, is the worst possible way to build a repertoire.

I think your not understanding my point

I have a repertoire, I have a walk around act, a table act and a parlour show act, I'm not looking to change that, I'm looking for something I can play around with all day to pass the time, all my acts were constructed over a long period of time and I will not change them on the back of somebody else's say so.

But cheers to all who have posted anyways and I'm off to work to play!
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
jamesmagic
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of jamesmagic
His 3-card sandwich effect in vol. 3 is very good. forget the name.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I think wsduncan-san's advice is a very good one.
If you are a working pro, the advice is more valid.

Hideo Kato
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
"John Hancock", Oh wait, sorry, that's in Regal's "Up Close and Personal".

Paul.
mistermagic
View Profile
New user
currently N Carolina
80 Posts

Profile of mistermagic
Paul's books should be read from cover to cover. They're the funniest magic books you'll ever read.
I'll soon be ending all of my posts with "nuff said."
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
It's probably too late now for your day at work, but I didn't think your original question was that off base. Especially considering that "True Astonishments" is coming out, I think a lot of us are going back over our AOA volumes. There's so much in each and many of us read them a while ago that I think it's nice if people recommend their favorites. I'm doing this off the top of my head, but I remember liking David Harkey's "Juke," in volume 3, quite a bit. And if I had a whole day free perhaps I'd try to learn one of the linking card routines -- probably "Osmosis." I've struggled with them a couple of times but got frustrated with the directions and gave up. If I wanted (and had) the hours, I could probably get it. So those are my recc's.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Quote:
On 2009-01-02 10:18, Paul wrote:
"John Hancock", Oh wait, sorry, that's in Regal's "Up Close and Personal".

Paul.

ive got that 2!
I'll look it up
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Reset is killer, and one can entertain one's self all afternoon long trying to get the right feel for Sidewinder.

It's kinda like asking "What's your favorite movie?"...there's just SO much to choose from!

Man, I can't wait for True Astonishments. I've already prepared all of my family and friends by telling them I will not be available for about three days during the third week of January.

D
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Don good to see you in this section, but only 3 days for 9 dvds? id take the week off!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » AOA hidden gems (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL