The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Your favorite Wild Card routine(s) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
571 Posts

Profile of sohaib
I'm compiling a list of Wild Card routines to do a write-up on them. I'm going to do a complete study of the Wild Card plot, and compare and contrast all that routines that are extant. Right now, I perform the Frank Garcia-Peter Kane original routine, but I'm studying Tommy Wonder's, which appears to be a common favorite in the fraternity.

Here's what I have in the list so far:

Frank Garcia and Peter Kane's original Wild Card routine
Darwin's Wild Card
Tommy Wonder's The Tamed Card
Shigeo Tagaki's Wild Time

I would love it if you guys could add some more routines and where they can be found in the literature.

- Sohaib
martin1025
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of martin1025
You can find two impromptu wild card routines in The Complete Works of Derek Dingle: DD on LJ's Wild Card, and Impromptu wild card. You can see the performance of one of them in Stars of Magic #4 DVD.
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
699 Posts

Profile of magico
You may want to check out if you can find them

Wild Card Miracles by Frank Garcia

The Wild Card Kit by Jon Racherbaumer

There many different routines in the above books

Steve Hamilton's In The Hands Wild Card routine.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Tommy Wonder Has a great piece called 'The Tamed Card' And its on his Visions of Wonder Vol 1 DVD.

Highly recommended!

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3711 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
John Bannon's Return of the Magnificent Seven in Smoke and Mirrors. It also appears on the video Impossibilia, where he's changed the routine a bit; the version on the video is better than the version in the book, and the version in the book is excellent.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3601 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Peter Samuelson, from Theatrical Close-up.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6072 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
The Godfather has a way cool WC that is sure worth taking a peek at! I think it's Bannon who has a nice one called "Call of the Wild"! Is gaffed verses clean a consideration?

Mick
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
571 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Thanks for your responses guys. I forgot to mention Bannon's stuff - The Return of the Magnificent Seven is a great non-gaffed version of Wild Card. I have both Smoke and Mirrors and the Impossibilia video, and I agree, the video version is better. I forgot I had Call of the Wild - it's a different and unique take on Wild Card since it uses blank cards. That's why I probably forgot about it when I started this project. I have The Complete Works of Derek Dingle - what a book! I'm slowly working my way through it - I saw the Wild Card effects in the table of contents, but haven't gotten to them yet.
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
One of my favorite wild card routines is Out of Order by Cameron Francis. I also am a fan of the John Bannon routine, which was mentioned above.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
988 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
For many years, The Wild Rovers was successfully marketed via the lecture circuit. It is my ungaffed, resetting version I developed for walk-around venues.

Wild Rovers may still be found in Decipiatur via http://www.mickayreswares.com.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,
Mick
The 5 Obligations of Conjuring: STUDY. PRACTICE. SCRIPT. REHEARSE. PERFORM.
Visit Mick Ayres' Wares! Click here
vinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
sleeping with the fishes...
9022 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Shiego Tekagi's "WILD TIME" for me this is one of the very best
vinny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZfi78zgwuc
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Lakewood, IL.
813 Posts

Profile of jskalon
I like Al Bach's "Bermuda Triangle". Very cool take on the WC effect and is "in the hands".
Jack Skalon
http://www.BigJackMagic.com
"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1239 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Jason Wethington has an unpublished routine called "Virus" that is my favorite.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
1952 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Eric DeCamps has a great Wild Card routine. It's on his Tannen's dvd and available from Meir Yedid with the cards and routine.

Tom
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4267 Posts

Profile of Paul
You say,"Frank Garcia and Peter Kane's original Wild Card routine" however the handlings between Peter Kane and Frank Garcia's differ, Frank adapted Peter's routine so it was more of a table display effect.

I have two marketed versions I quite like. "Especially Wild" gets more out of the effect in that it is a two stage effect. First a reveal of a free selection, then the cards apparently change to match the free selection. It has been on the market since 1987 via Meir Yedid. My second more recent version is more standard, but has pictures of glasses of water turning to wine so there is motivation and more opportunity for humor.

Meir has his own take on it also, Cardboard Chameleons.

Peter Kane improved his original handling when he put out Gipsy Curse, where all the cards are shown back and front in a fan at the conclusion. It was also later marketed by Peter as "The Hungarian Guessing Game".

Peter also had a regular card variant called "A Very Attractive Lady" which can be found in the book "Kane" (p.53)and also a full deck version which appeared in his "Kane At Table" lecture notes.

None gaffed versions of the effect (and another full deck version) were published also by William P. Miesel in "The Creative Card Magic of william P Miesel"

There may be a few other versions mentioned in that excellent recource on packet effects "Small But Deadly", one of the first places to look for packet trick plots.
NEW:"The Psychic Agent and Other Odd Demonstrations" via www.lybrary.com
Coming soon: Wolf At The Door
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
1952 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Wasn't Cardboard Chameleons Daryl's routine? Or is it two different routines with the same name?
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4267 Posts

Profile of Paul
Tom, I stand corrected, Meir's routine was actually called Cardinal Cards.
Effect description for it below:

Meir Yedid's Cardinal Cards
US $10.00
ADVANCED
An astounding routine that can be used as an opener, a middle or a closer. It has a logical, funny and visual premise with twice as many surface changes as the average Wild Card routine.

The routine starts with seven identical cards. One of the cards is dramatically stripped of its face and back, which leaves a blank-on-both sides center layer, referred to as The Cardinal Card. And is it magic! As soon as you touch it to any of the other cards that card also becomes blank on both sides, until your finale when you show that all the cards have become blank on both sides! Seeing is believing. Comes complete with poker-size Bicycle cards and photo-illustrated instructions.
US $10.00

The latter also appears on Meir's "Published and Unpublished" DVD. Another wild card routine on that DVD is his "Wild Card 2001" which is an ungaffed wild card (the latter also appears in his book "Magical Wishes".

Paul.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
25932 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Fred Kaps did something nice with his business card.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
489 Posts

Profile of One Man
David Regal has a nice take on WC in West Coast Conjurers. Similar to Shiego Tekagi's but with the added bonus of spectators handling the cards.

Kevin
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2072 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2009-01-20 01:34, wsduncan wrote:
Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Peter Samuelson, from Theatrical Close-up.

This is a really good version of Wild Card. I remember seeing Peter Samelson perform this on the Dick Cavett Show.

I also love Daryl's "Cardboard Chameleons".

Robert
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18146 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Right Jonathan, Kaps showed had handful of BLANK cards, signed his name ON ONE... and ala Wild Card they ended up all with his signature.

One I used to really love was called "Factory Rejects" You showed blank cards, except for one printed face, and a half a card blank and one printed.

You wound up with all printed including the little half card.

I believe it was Lee Noble's and marketed by Tannen BS (Before Spina).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5355 Posts

Profile of motown
Peter Samelson's the Invasion of the Body Snatchers from his book is a nice routine.

My personal preference is of wild card is Gypsy Curse, using Ron Bauer's version.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I like Tony Chris' "The Crossroads", and I've always enjoyed Tony van Rhee's version of Peter Kane's "Gypsy Curse", I would love to find a vid of ron bauer's though, heard great things!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5355 Posts

Profile of motown
Ron's version is called Sudden Death Gypsy Curse and is a part of his private studies series.

There's no video that I know of.

It would be great if he did.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
571 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Wow, a considerable number of responses here! Just what I wanted! Let me gather all the routines that have been mentioned, and put them in one post.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 7:37am
Alright, I think I've got'em all. I may have missed a couple; I'll go back up and check a bit later. Here we go:

Original Routine (Frank Garcia)
Wild Time (Shigeo Takagi)
In The Hands Wild Card Routine (Steve Hamilton)
D on LJ's Wild Card (Derek Dingle)
Impromptu Wild card (Derek Dingle)
Return of the Magnificent Seven (John Bannon)
Call of the Wild (John Bannon)
The Tamed Card (Tommy Wonder)
Darwin's Wild Card (Darwin Ortiz)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Peter Samuelson)
Out of Order (Cameron Francis)
Wild Rovers (Mick Ayres)
Bermuda Triangle (Al Bach)
Cardboard Chameleons (Daryl)
David Regal's Wild Card Routine
Business Card Routine (Fred Kaps)
Factory Rejects (?)
The Crossroads (Tony Chris)
Sudden Death Gypsy Curse (Ron Bauer)

Performers mentioned without names given for their Wild Card routines:

David Regal
Eric DeCamps

Next, I want to put down where each of these routines can be found in either the literature or on video.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
1952 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Eric's routine is called Jokers are Wild.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4267 Posts

Profile of Paul
Pete said: "Right Jonathan, Kaps showed had handful of BLANK cards, signed his name ON ONE... and ala Wild Card they ended up all with his signature."

Marlo also published a version like that. It's referenced in "Small But Deadly".

Sohaib,you did miss some that were mentioned, from my post. And if you're going to compare and do an in depth study then you really need to compare originals (such as Peter Kane's Gipsey Curse) with the variants on it -)Bauer, Wagner, Dingle, T. A. Waters all had variations on Gypsy Curse.

Paul.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
sleeping with the fishes...
9022 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Yes and also include the "godfathers wild card" all the cards can be inspected after the effect
ps if anyone is interesediny effec tpm me with e mail address and I'm will send a demo
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3454 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
There's a lot of material to cover, and we're only scratching the surface here.

The Kaps version Jonathan and Pete have mentioned was published as "Signature Wild Card" wasn't it? And not under Fred Kaps' name, as I recall. It was the basis for Daryl's "Two Bit Wild Card" that appears in Richard's Almanac.

"Two Bit Wild Card" is one of the routines which explored the idea of taking the images off the cards and giving them a "reality". Also very interesting along these lines is Mike Close's "We're Alll Bozos on this Bus".

You will also want to check out Derek Dingle's "Wildfire" in the New Stars of Magic series, Flip's Wild Card in Kabbala, Jonathan Townsend's impromptu version in Apocalypse, and of course, the "In the Hands Wildcard" by Tom Dombrowlski that's currently available at a dealer near you, or from Tom, who's not.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4267 Posts

Profile of Paul
The Marlo signature wild card where the signature duplicated on blanks was marketed as "Personalized Wild Card". Other Marlo wild card ideas were in "Marlo's Plus Package" which was reprinted in Jimmy Nuzzo's "Art and Ardour At the Card Table".

Rotten Apples is a cute version put out by International Magic and Sankey has a clever take on the plot which turns it into a moving hole trick. He had a version with targets on cards and the holes move to the bullseye.

You might have a much bigger project than you anticipated.

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Your favorite Wild Card routine(s) (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.408083 seconds, requiring 100 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [6] [6] [2] [0] [0] [3] [0]