The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Idea for a Table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
As many of you know, on the day after Christmas of '07 my wife were plowed into by a drunk driver. Both of us got walkers out of the whole mess. Well, during cleaning for this past Christmas, mine resurfaced. As I looked at it the ides struck me that it could be made into a performing table. It's light weight and flattens nicely.

Right now I am experimenting with different size tops as there is a stability issue as the top gets wider so I may need to figure out some kind of bracing depending on the size top I settle on.

Will keep you posted on my progress.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Matt Watts
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Matt Watts
Sounds interesting I am curious on how that will turn out.
magicnator
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magicnator
Very creative and clever idea...now that's making something out of nothing!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
The G&M nightclub table folded in a similar fashion to a walker. The top was put in place, the sides opened, then shelves added.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2009-02-02 17:09, Matt Watts wrote:
Sounds interesting I am curious on how that will turn out.

Me too. I would love to see the finished item.
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
I think this is a wonderful idea. I found this one http://www.drugsupplystore.com/servlet/t......g/Detail and I will be getting rid of my waiter's stand. This thing even has a few pockets that can carry small props, and I think it will be great for street performing.
Also besides the top I think it will be fairly simple to add a shelf if needed with the help of the bottom cross bars. The front and sides can be covered with some velcroed banner with your info.
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Those were the lines I was thinking along, Carlos (adding the shelf and the skirt/banner to cover the frame). Mine didn't come with pockets, but knowing I would only be needing it for a short time they got me a very basic model. But the pockets would be easy enough to add.
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Jim,

After I saw your post I started to search on the internet for a folding walker. Most of them were in the grey aluminum tubing and then I found the one posted above at another sites for 60 bucks. Another search and found it for that price so I could not pass on. Just to get anyone to do a pocket, a bag or anything these days costs an arm and a leg, so this one with the blue tubing and the pockets just did it for me.

I will be making an article for my spanish web magazine with the construction process and you will be credited for the idea my friend Smile

BTW, I will be having a waiter's stand for sale pretty soon people. Smile
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
My thanks. I cannot express what that means to me Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Sometimes, you can purchase a used walker for very little money at either an estate sale or from someone who has recovered from an injury.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I've seen em in Goodwill stores in good condition for little to nothing!
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Quote:
On 2009-02-08 23:57, Bill Palmer wrote:
Sometimes, you can purchase a used walker for very little money at either an estate sale or from someone who has recovered from an injury.

In fact I was about to put mine in stock for the next yard sale when I looked at it a second tome and realized that there is a working table in there.
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Here is mine -

- its a leather storage tray from an interior design store. Its very light and strong (i can stand on it) and covered in finely stitched real leather. looks bespoke and of high quality.
the advantage is that I can use it as a tray on the stand to hold bits and bobs - then when I end with the cups - I flip it upside down to make a flat table. I bought some floor liner which is printed to look like real wood and stuck it on the base, which is a good texture for cards/cups etc and it looks like real wood from even up close. It has handles which is a bonus for going to place to place- And it looks clean and classy. I was thrilled that its the right size for the keyboard stand too.
http://www.yousendit.com/download/WnBRY051Z2pRYThLSkE9PQ
http://www.yousendit.com/download/WnBRY051Z2pOMUIzZUE9PQ
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
JRob,
Just found this thread a couple weeks ago, then found a walker at a thrift store for 5 bucks! I like this idea and plan on using either corrugated plastic or cloth (or both!) to cover it.
Would love to see what you've done. Post some pics or pm me.

aitchy,
your new pics have expired. I'd like to see your samples too.

Dan
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
My mom's walker has wheels and a bike horn on the handle bars. I think I might paint it a different color just to remove some of the creepiness.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Idea for a Table (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL