The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Puzzles In Your Arsenal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
Do any of you use puzzles in your acts? Such as the little blocks of wood where you try and hook a dowl rod on a rubber band. This question is pretty strange. Then again...so am I.

Andrew Smile
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I have a desktop puzzle I occasionally use as a solid through solid illusion. It is a solid ring apparently linked onto a spring. When you know the secret, you can unlink them quite easily, but even after the "work" is done they still appear linked due to the coils so you can make the separation appear as mysterious as possible. Apparently the puzzle is quite well known in England, but I have never met anyone in Canada who has seen it before.

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
I use the Ring and Spring routine as done by Paul Diamond...takes a puzzle into a real magical routine. (I buy a ring and spring at the hardware store. Most of the ones in magic sets hardly even make sense. "Stumpy's", on the web, sells good ones).

I also use the bent nails. After letting someone struggle with them a bit I take them (and with a secret twist) ask them to hold the head of one nail and just tip them...and they are amazed to see them slide apart in their own hands....I relink them and them still can't get them apart...for a time..

The old ring between horseshoes, can be presented almost like the linking rings if you cover the opening as you remove and replace the ring.

The metal "Linking Hearts" can be presented much the same...

The "Alcatraz" puzzle is magical also, as the ball seems to melt thru the bars...I do it all the time and have kept kids busy with it for hours.

I use the twisting the pencil in the hands puzzle without letting go of it between the thumbs...

I have a whole time killer routine based on several arm twisting puzzles.
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I have created a trick with Pentomino. After I placed 11 pieces in the case, the last piece and the shape of remaining space in the case don't match. So I try to change the shape of the last piece. But it won't change. But, the remaining space in the case has changed and the last piece now fits in the case.

Hideo Kato
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
There is a real nice effect (forgot the name) where you have a playing card cut into 4 pieces (or more depends on the version - there has been many variations).
the spec is asked to put the pieces together, this is done very easily, when the card is turned over he is asked to do it again - of course the other side does not assemble to a complete card.
this always gets a puzzled look from the specs.
I strongly believe that one can add those puzzle effects into his act, magic can also create puzzlement not just wonder.
just MHO

nir
Wil Castor
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle
144 Posts

Profile of Wil Castor
I do a bit for friends where I solve the rubix cube in less time than it takes them to mess it up... I love puzzles and have a few others I use to baffel and astonish friends. If you have seen / mastered the horseshoes and ring problem try to find one that uses 3 horseshoes linked by 3 welded chains and a ring for each side. It's tough but loads of fun.
Pain is the craft entering into the apprentice.
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
777 Posts

Profile of Loz
Hey Wil, what's your average time for the cube? Assuming the corners are all wrong (sometimes you ask someone to mess it up and they don't really screw up the corners which can allow you to solve it much quicker).

Always wished I could put this to some magical use. Perhaps solving it in the open while pattering. Then having it mixed up again, covered with hanky and instantaneously solve it using "the power!"
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I do the "Ring on Spring" trick for kids' shows but NEVER in a disparing way. In fact, I try to let the kids be the magicians and be able to do the magic while I, the magician, am unable to "solve" the puzzle.

As for the Rubic's Cube, I do the version performed by Doug Henning approximately 20 years ago on one of his TV specials. It is a great effect; mix the cube in front of the audience, show the cube completely mixed up, throw the cube into the air and it INSTANTLY returns into your hand "solved"!! It's a pants-wetter.

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
777 Posts

Profile of Loz
Turk - Henning using a topit?
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Loz,

Nope! One Rubic's Cube only. "What you see is what you get".

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
777 Posts

Profile of Loz
whoa - me baffled
hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
Quote:
On 2003-05-06 03:16, Reg Rozee wrote:
I have a desktop puzzle I occasionally use as a solid through solid illusion. It is a solid ring apparently linked onto a spring. When you know the secret, you can unlink them quite easily, but even after the "work" is done they still appear linked due to the coils so you can make the separation appear as mysterious as possible. Apparently the puzzle is quite well known in England, but I have never met anyone in Canada who has seen it before.

-Reg {*}

Yep, its a traditional children's puzzle in the UK. It generally comes as part of collection of puzzles of a similar nature which involve working out how to separate artfully bent pairs of nails.
leonard
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
148 Posts

Profile of leonard
I recently (re)found the Ring-on-Spring and Snapper puzzles at a dollar store here in Michigan.

Puzzles are commonly used in magic, but not presented as puzzles. Rather, the impossibility of the situation is stressed. I am thinking in particular of the Mexican Bill Box and the Dollar Tube. Tenyo Products bridge the gap between these areas quite well.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
The "Ring on Spring" effect was reworked and sold by Richard Osterlind as "INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH LINK" The routine is quite good and it works as well, if not better, as a magic effect than it does as a puzzle.The props supplied are very well made and quite large.
If this type of effect suits your style you find it worth looking into.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
I have a lot of puzzles, and find them very entertaining, but the best is the carpenter nail puzzle.

A nail is pounded into a wood block, you hand out 9 nails and have the spectator stack all nine nails on top of the one nail.
I have won sooo many bets with this, and no one, I mean no one, has ever ever figured it out.
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
robsigns
View Profile
New user
Southern California
74 Posts

Profile of robsigns
I once saw a version of the "ring and spring" trick done with a valve spring and a coat hanger. The presentation was of a "soft spot" in the hanger.
I don't know if it was a "packaged" trick or just someone's idea they were showing, but I liked the idea.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Quote:
On 2003-05-13 08:50, Turk wrote:
Loz,

Nope! One Rubic's Cube only. "What you see is what you get".

Turk

Just a guess, but three faces look randomised and three faces look "solved"?

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
One could say that all of magic is really a puzzle just waiting to be solved. All the different gimmicks and special methods, They go hand in hand.
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
Phil Pearce
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas, GA
260 Posts

Profile of Phil Pearce
I forget where I saw this, I certainly didn't think it up, but a good impromptu Ring and Spring can be done by taking a ballpoint pen apart and using the spring inside, along with a paper clip.
I once saw Joel Bauer do 10 minutes with the Ring and Spring and mesmerize 75 people. The guy is an amazing entertainer.
Phil
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The Rubic's Cube Puzzle, as performed by Henning and others is available on Daryl's Web Site for sixteen bucks:
http://www.foolerdoolers.com/

I posted yesterday about a Harry Lorayne routine which starts with a playing card puzzle and becomes a magic square that a spectator can keep as a souvenir. It's in the Magic Equations Section.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Puzzles In Your Arsenal (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL