The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Kristen Johnson on CNN this weekend (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Kristen Johnson will be featured on this weekend's "News to Me" on CNN:

SYNOPSIS:
During an NBA half time show an escape artist's hands and feet are shackled and chained. She's lowered into a full tank of water and locked inside. After 3 minutes it's clear... something is wrong... she can no longer hold her breath... her body goes limp in the tank. It's all caught on camera. You'll see the scary video and find out what went wrong

The show airs seven times over the weekend. They shot the interview this past Tuesday. It will show the footage from that NBA game as well as talk with Kristen about what happened and what else she is up to.

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/news.to.me/

The video is now permanently on our youtube page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbvokC6xo20

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
1200handcuffs
View Profile
Regular user
USA
107 Posts

Profile of 1200handcuffs
That's just plain frightening, and I know it wasn't the only time this has happened. I would love to see the interview, but my satellite dish is frozen solid. Hopefully it will be OK by the weekend. I don't think I want to see the video again. I like you guys too much to think about what could happen.
Stan
Stan Willis
http://www.handcuffs.us.com
Guinness World Records Handcuff Collection
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Ironically..if Kristen had been 100% successful - CNN probably wouldn't be interested in interviewing her about the NBA halftime stunt.

In the "escape business" - unfortunately, the media usually doesn't pay attention to us - unless we have a near-death/drowning.

None-the-less, congratulations to the CNN segment.
Tony Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
Glad to hear she's ok. That was scary.

What exactly is a Hypoxic Seizure?
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
1832 Posts

In laymen's term...
Hypoxia is when the brain goes into survival mode and shuts down all unnecessary body functions to preserve oxygen for the brain. The brain STILL has oxygen at this point. One very cool thing it also does is to close the larynx to keep water from entering the lungs. However, this only lasts for a brief period, then it relaxes and opens. Before that happens, the victim needs to be above water. If so, then the brain may or may not sense it automatically. If it does, then breathing will resume on its own. If it doesn't, then usually a third party can get the body to start breathing again.

All in all...the body is amazing.

Kevin
Living Illusions

Kevin Ridgeway &

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Kevin - great explanation!

I have to agree Kristens body is amazing - and yours is pretty amazing too! How quickly you got her out and to safety was great! - mins not so amazing (its theos dang feet again)

Well done BOTH of you (not only on the recovery but also on the promotional tiome your getting too). It strersses that what we do is VERY dangerous and can go wrong.

Any how hope all goes well with the interview and you get some more press out of it - you certainly know how to work it!

Dave

Nice one!
Tony Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
Thank you for the description. That cleared up a lot for me.

Still, scary stuff.
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Oh Bother, I don't get CNN's HLN channel. Will this report make it onto the web?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Kevin,

That was VERY uncomfortable for me to watch! As we chatted about when you were out here in Texas a few days after it happened, I have SOOOOO MUCH respect for the both you for doing what you do. I sure as heck wouldn't do it. I'm glad Kristen is ok and on the quick road to recovery.

Whew...I'm tired just watching that clip!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Tony Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
I haven't been able to catch the News To Me on CNN yet but I have to ask.
What did you do after the performance? Was it just another night? Did you go to the hospital? Have you had a follow up evaluation since then?
__
Tony Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
Ok, now I've seen the interview.

I'm still curious though, did you see a doctor that night or later?
__
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
1832 Posts

Tony,
That night was just another day at the office as far as Kristen is concerned. She felt fine after...again the uniqueness of hypoxia. This past Friday she had a physical and while the doctor doesn't see anything wrong with Kristen(other than her choice of profession), an MRI is being done in a few weeks.

The CNN piece aired this past weekend and we feel it was well done. I'll post it on youtube later this week.

Thanks again for all the thought, emails and calls.

Kevin & Kristen
Living Illusions

Kevin Ridgeway &

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Wow,

CNN showed the clip on their web site, so I have now seen it. Hats of to Kristen. I can't imagine being able to talk about something like that so calmly. You did a great job.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
1200handcuffs
View Profile
Regular user
USA
107 Posts

Profile of 1200handcuffs
Great interview. I agree with Kristen that she should not watch the escape on tape. I've seen it twice, and that is more than enough. Here is the link to the CNN interview:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoft......eosearch
Stan Willis
http://www.handcuffs.us.com
Guinness World Records Handcuff Collection
Tony Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
Glad to here there was some form of medical follow up. Of course I'm really glad to hear she's ok.

In the past has Kristen opted not to perform an escape because she felt the risk was too great?
__
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Wow, that was a scary video to watch...

I'm very happy that Kristen is okay though and send my best to you both...
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
I am glad that she is fine after having experienced that very horrible accident.
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
Vaughn Ver Steegt
View Profile
New user
Janesville, Iowa
56 Posts

Profile of Vaughn Ver Steegt
I saw Kristen perform her escape last summer at the Iowa State Fair and it was great! Sorry to hear that this happened. It's good to know that Kristen is ok and ready to continue. Kevin and Kristen I wish you God's peace and safty as you continue your shows.
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
She should have used the "the illusion went just as planned" line as done on americas got talent!

Ok, just trying to make you smile. Glad to see she and both of you are doing well! Glad she is safe!
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
It was unfortunated but Ia m sure every performer out there had a bad day. She did that illusion successfully in recent TV show. I was amazed how long she could hold her breath under the water. I am glad that she is OK now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Kristen Johnson on CNN this weekend (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL