The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Squeeze away block trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

krowboom
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago area
318 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Does anyone have this trick and is it worth getting? It looks similar to the sucker die box effect but maybe not? Would appreciate some info as I am looking at buying it. Thanks.
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
I have it and have used it on occasion. It's really very different in terms of the routining and probably doesn't have as much opportunity to play as long as sucker trick. It can be quite strong magic though if performed properly with each of the 3 blocks being able to be shown a solid and "normal." Then the visual squeezing away of yellow block only to be found in a hat or other location.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
Squeeze away block is a great dematerialization magic effect...here you can see a close up version demo:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cormatches
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
256 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
Over 20 years ago, I saw Gene Doane of Syracuse, NY do this and I couldn't believe my eyes. He did such a good job with it that everything seemed so fair and he routined it such that there was no explanation that suggested itself as to how he did it. I ended up getting the Abbott's version. However, I found that I couldn't come up with a good routine for it to fit in my kids show, so I sold it. I'm actually considering repurchasing it after all these years.

The nice thing about the trick is that the audience can examine the blocks entirely, before and after. The Abbott version (and others) are bigger than the one depicted in the video posted above. Also, getting the block to disappear convincingly requires some staging. PM me if you want to know how Gene resolved this issue beautifully so that it fooled a room full of magicians. It's been so long since I've read the directions that I don't remember the standard way they suggest you do the dirty work.

By the way, this is a VERY clever trick. Angles are not much of a problem, unless using Gene's method, someone is up high relative to you and your table, like a tall person standing only a few feet away. From directly behind, the trick would be exposed, but your body would easily hide that. It's not a practical trick to do, but with the proper routining, it's a real fooler.

I see this thread is in the beginner section. I don't see this as a beginner trick. It's more immediate as it takes a little bit of boldness and self confidence to convincingly get that middle block to disappear/fade away. There are hundreds of tricks I'd recommend a beginner before I'd recommend this one.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
I have killed more topics with my
5424 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Dave!

I had the Abbott version also. I never performed it much, because the instructions were missing. I had no idea how to "relocate" the yellow block. I see a new version has a lower section now. That would have made sense, but it did no come with mine. Alas my original Squeeze-Away was lost in the foreclosure. Smile

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Squeeze away block trick (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.080297 seconds, requiring 20 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [1] [8] [5] [1] [5] [0] [6] [3]