We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Coinvexed 2 Sharpie Edition Review- (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
2533 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Personally, I feel that Jim was just a bit "loose" with his wording thus blowing this whole thing out of proportion. There may not have been any ill intention but it felt like it because of how it was originally worded.
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
832 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
I am looking forward to seeing this at Blackpool Smile

Gary
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 15:06, Caliban wrote:
Jim

I'm finding it hard to see the relevance of all this patent talk. Surely you're not claiming that it would be okay to rip off the Quantum Bender if John can't prove he has a patent pending? Magic is a small cottage industry where very few products are protected by patents. Instead, the magic world has a well established rule that ethical dealers do not rip off the products of others. So whether or not John Sheet's patent pending actually exists makes absolutely no difference one way or another.

And lets be honest, anyone who is well connected in magic can easily find out what a Quantum Bender is and how it works. If you didn't know already you would have easily been able to find out by ringing round a few contacts. So we can safely assume that you already know exactly what John's gimmick is, and that yours is different or you wouldn't be putting it out.

Coinvexed 2 is likely to cause some controversy: Some people will argue that because the Quantum Bender is an established coin bender disguised as a Sharpie, it's a rip off for another dealer to release their own coin bender disguised as a Sharpie, even if the methods are different. Other people will argue that, as the method is completely different there's no problem. There's no definite right or wrong on that one - it's just going to come down personal opinions.

To me, this appears to be a bit of a distraction tactic. You know that you're in a bit of an ethical grey area in releasing a coin bender disguised as a Sharpie when one is already on the market, and you know that some people (especially those with a competing product) might criticize you for it ... but if you can lead people to accuse you of ripping off the Quantum Bender before it's released and have those people proved wrong when yours turns out to be a completely different method ... then you appear to have won the argument and it steers people away from the real question, which is whether it's ethical for another dealer to market a Sharpie coin bending gimmick at all.

Or something like that.

I'm not suggesting that it IS unethical for someone else to release a different Sharpie coin bending gimmick - you could make a valid case for either side of the argument - but that debate is the real issue. All this talk of patents just comes across as misdirection.


Caliban,
Seems to me you don't get it either,

We are not worried about the Patent. We are an ethical producer and for that reason alone we would not infringe on another creators product.

The whole Patent thing was raised by John Sheets as you will see from the emails above and in PM's to David Penn and myself. John used the fact that he had a Patent Pending to demand a copy of our Product. That is just not going to happen. However as John brought up his Patent, we felt it only right that having brought it up, he should follow that up with the public record information.

I merely passed his concerns on in this forum as advice to RichB
.
Then a few posters without any knowledge of either our gimmick or the background, such as yourself, chip in with comments that make no sense to me. They make assumptions in public without any knowledge, they assume that we are ripping off another creator, and then suggest that we are lying through our teeth.
None of this is true and therefore, as I stated earlier this string of conversation within the thread should be left alone before a few people end up with egg on their faces.

The people who have had the gimmick have already posted comments but all of you knockers just seem to ignore this. Are they Lying through their teeth as well????.

Wait for the release then post your apology. Smile
Best regards
Jim
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2509 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I look forward to its release! will it be out this month or possibly March?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"

What is the mental malfunction that some people suffer from that compels them to demand being able to kill the most vulnerable and innocent members of the human race? What kind of society champions the killing of nascent human life rather than demanding that adults behave responsibly?
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 17:41, Jaz2005 wrote:
Wait for the release then post your apology. Smile
Best regards
Jim


It's extremely unlikely that I'll have anything to apologise for.

My post clearly says that I expect your gimmick to have a different method - so I haven't accused you off ripping off the Quantum Bender. And I was the first to post in your defence when you were wrongly accused of misleading advertising over the David Blaine claim on Hank Lee's site.

I did say is that there's an ethical grey area in releasing a coin bender disguised as a Sharpie when there is already one on the market - even if it has a different method. That's true. Some people will criticize it and others will defend it.

So I'm not sure what you think I'm going to have to apologise for when your product is released. My comments were based purely on the fact that your gimmick is a Sharpie coin bender - and my source for that information was your own promotional posts.
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 19:20, Caliban wrote:

My comments were based purely on the fact that your gimmick is a Sharpie coin bender - and my source for that information was your own promotional posts.

I was the first to post in your defence when you were wrongly accused of misleading advertising over the David Blaine claim on Hank Lee's site.



Hi again Caliban.
Item #1 in the quote above where, in any promotional posts have we or I or anyone associated with this product claimed that our gimmick is a Sharpie Coin Bender as claimed by you?. Soley in your imagination me thinks.

Our sole claim is that the new Coinvexed is the Sharpie Edition.

We have also stated several times that apart from the reviewers and testers worlwide who have had the product, that we will be making a full disclosure at the launch in Blackpool and not before.

David Penn will discuss it in full during both of his lectures at Blackpool and also on the stand. At that point everyone who wants to know what it is before puchasing one will get to know what it is. This is extremely unusual as normally you would have to purchase an item before you find out exactly what it is.

Item #2 Thanks for that.

So guys until the launch let's just leave the speculation and accusations on the shelf please.

Best Regards
Jim
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 18:02, lunatik wrote:
I look forward to its release! will it be out this month or possibly March?

Hi Richard,
It will be out February 20th at Blackpool in the UK and with Murphys Magic Supplies in the U.S. week ending February 28th and at your dealers shortly after that..
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Hi Jim

Quote:
On 2009-02-05 20:00, Jaz2005 wrote:
Item #1 in the quote above where, in any promotional posts have we or I or anyone associated with this product claimed that our gimmick is a Sharpie Coin Bender as claimed by you?.


I was going from the Al Straker post that you quoted earlier in this thread.

On 2009-01-21 22:11, Al Straker wrote:
Yes it is a Sharpie gimmick ...

I do accept, though, that there would be a big difference between a single piece gimmick that's built into a Sharpie - and a gimmick that merely involves a Sharpie or has a Sharpie as part of it.
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Quote:
On 2009-02-06 03:42, Caliban wrote:
Hi Jim

I was going from the Al Straker post that you quoted earlier in this thread.

On 2009-01-21 22:11, Al Straker wrote:
Yes it is a Sharpie gimmick ...

I do accept, though, that there would be a big difference between a single piece gimmick that's built into a Sharpie - and a gimmick that merely involves a Sharpie or has a Sharpie as part of it.

Caliban,
AHHHH HAAAA Smile Now I am going to plead the fifth.

Have a good weekend.
Off to make a snowman now in Scotland

Best regards
Jim
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
430 Posts

Profile of tpax
A interesting story. I had purchased Coinvexed and thought it could be so much better. I had a brilliant idea and designed a solution to my handling problems. I contacted David Penn with my idea and found out he had thought of it as well and had produced prototypes. They sent me one to evaluate so I have seen it and I will say this.
1) It does not resemble in any way the method used by QB 2 - which I own.
2) If this would have been the original design I would have never bought the QB 2.
IMHO this is a great change to the design. It is different in design and handling from QB 2. It will offer additional flexibility to your routines.
I don't want to say anything else until it is released.

Tom Paxton
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
2533 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Bloody hell, how much is this going to cost me Jim? After Tom's post, I think I'm going to pick one up.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth, UK
4311 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
According to the newsletter sent out from WorldMagicshop, £85 is the cost, so the same as CV1!
Gochos
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gochos
Fred Masschelein
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
5 Posts

Profile of Fred Masschelein
It's seems there will be an upgrade kit for the owners of the original Coinvexed.
Jim, could you tell us more about this? Will it be also available during the Blackpool convention?

Fred
Gochos
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gochos
Yes it will
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I've just looked and the upgrade kit is £45......WOW!!!!!! That's a heck of a price for an upgrade. What do they do, gold plate the thing??????
Adam Hince
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh, PA
344 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Quote:
On 2009-02-07 13:32, Andi Peters wrote:
I've just looked and the upgrade kit is £45......WOW!!!!!! That's a heck of a price for an upgrade. What do they do, gold plate the thing??????


I doubt that would look natural.

-AH
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
651 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Could look natural if you are performing for the top end of town!

Chappelly
misterian
View Profile
New user
United States
13 Posts

Profile of misterian
Quote:
On 2009-02-07 13:32, Andi Peters wrote:
I've just looked and the upgrade kit is £45......WOW!!!!!! That's a heck of a price for an upgrade. What do they do, gold plate the thing??????


As the owner of 2 of Coinvexed, I say "Thank You!" for the upgrade discount. How great to be able to get some credit for being a supporter of the original effect. Appreciated here at the upgrade price! Jim
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
651 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Quote:
On 2009-02-08 14:46, misterian wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-07 13:32, Andi Peters wrote:
I've just looked and the upgrade kit is £45......WOW!!!!!! That's a heck of a price for an upgrade. What do they do, gold plate the thing??????


As the owner of 2 of Coinvexed, I say "Thank You!" for the upgrade discount. How great to be able to get some credit for being a supporter of the original effect. Appreciated here at the upgrade price! Jim


It's certainly better than having to buy the complete Coinvexed 2.

Chappelly
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Tpax - I own the QB2 - a great gimmick that does what it is intended to very well. Given that I am happy with the QB2, do you see any reason for me to purchase the coinvexed 2? Thanks-



Bill
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
430 Posts

Profile of tpax
Hi Bill
If you are happy with your routine then the short answer - No.
In the same breath if you had the new Coinvexed and asked this question about it I would give the same answer.
They both are brilliant designs and asking which is better would be asking which Playmate is prettier....
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2333 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-02-08 22:40, tpax wrote:
They both are brilliant designs and asking which is better would be asking which Playmate is prettier....


I disagree on your Playmate reference. But, I will take 2 of every hair color.. Smile

I never liked the idea of having 2 coins signed to just bend one of them as that is pointless. Is this flaw removed?

Best,

Doug L.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
INDIA
4066 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Going thru the various posts on the subject & seeing the Ad for an up-grade pack; it seems that the NEW Coinvexed-2 is a two part unit comprising of 1 * Coinvexed version-1 + 1 * Coinvexed Version-2.

If my above assumption is correct, then I think this is really a very brilliant idea of mix-n-match.

I only hope that Coinvexed-2, besides help bend a coin, can also be used as a writing instrument. And if so, I must say it is GREAT thinking on the part of the creator - David Penn. This will open up a totally new concept in coin bending deception, misdirection & subtlety - right in the face of the spectator(s).

I would love to see (if possible) a live performance demo video without those nasty cuts.

Good luck!

Smile
INDIA - THE LAND OF MAGIC - WHERE REAL MAGIC HAPPENS.

MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
430 Posts

Profile of tpax
Quote:
I never liked the idea of having 2 coins signed to just bend one of them as that is pointless. Is this flaw removed?


Yes.
borjuist
View Profile
New user
INA
52 Posts

Profile of borjuist
Hi, coinvexed 2 can used with 1 coin ???? Smile


Best,

Rick..
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
430 Posts

Profile of tpax
Quote:
On 2009-02-09 12:11, borjuist wrote:
Hi, coinvexed 2 can used with 1 coin ???? Smile


Best,

Rick..


The spectator only needs to handle one coin.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1018 Posts

Profile of bond19
So, do you need to purchase coinvexed 1 in order to use coinvexed 2??
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2333 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-02-09 12:41, bond19 wrote:
So, do you need to purchase coinvexed 1 in order to use coinvexed 2??


If you are just "upgrading" then, yea.

Best,

Doug L.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Quote:
On 2009-02-09 12:41, bond19 wrote:
So, do you need to purchase coinvexed 1 in order to use coinvexed 2??


Hi Bond,
CV2 is complete you do not need to own CV1.
However, if you already own a CV1 then you only need to buy the upgrade kit which we produced to save previous purchasers from having to buy a complete CV2
best regards
Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Coinvexed 2 Sharpie Edition Review- (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.298291 seconds, requiring 88 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [2] [0] [2] [4] [4] [3] [2]