The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Klamm Magic?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stephane_arnow
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of stephane_arnow
Hi.

Any review about the good, and bad, about the illusions build by Klamm Magic? I read that all is built by Jim Sommers. I heard good thing about him (on different post), specially by Steve Chezaday, and others thing not so good.

Who owns here their props? They build Impaled(??), Body Twister, Dove Pursuit (I search that since years), Vampire Illusion, and Dekolta Chair put on base ... How are the props (specially those)? Prices are low, and photos not very clear... I heard Brett Daniels uses their Ashrah form ...

Thanks for your help.
MagicMichealMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver Island, British Columbia
349 Posts

Profile of MagicMichealMan
I think klamm is great, says it will fit in the back of your truck or car. I am too interested in what people have to say.

magic mike
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Well, I do not own anything by Klamm, have never worked with them, and know nothing about them. So getting that out of the way, I have to say that the pics of the illusions just look really poor. Maybe they look different in person. That is probably the main resson I have never pursued anything form them......

Take care

Bryan
magicnator
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of magicnator
Yeah I agree with bry1513. Never done biz with them, but their props look pretty bad. Same with Snap. I guess my take is...unless you are a builder with all the tools and space needed to build...and can look at illusion plans and do it right, stay away from illusions...unless of course you have the money to buy pro built stuff. It's the only way to go..IMO
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15105 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
The Sommer's Chair Suspension I own and love it. It has served me well for years and no problems at all.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kyleandkellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
772 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2009-02-06 15:18, magic4u02 wrote:
The Sommer's Chair Suspension I own and love it. It has served me well for years and no problems at all.

Kyle

I also own the Chair Suppension and love it.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I have one of the head twisters, I would say for the money it is a pretty goof buy.
I did have some trouble with the model the shipped and had to return it to have it exchanged, but it was easy to work with both Klamm and Sommers.
I will purchase from them again.

In response to the non-buyers comparing Klamm/Sommers to Snap, I've been a customer of both and Klamm is way better than Snap on both product and customer service.
Magia Giuseppe
MikeDes
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
946 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I have a couple of their illusions. They are made for easier transport and are therefore not as heavy duty. They are less expensive so there is some quality/price tradeoff.

Not everyone needs illusions that will be used 300 times a year and be shipped all over the world. I need to put some illsuions in my car a few times a year for school shows. These fit the bill and the budget.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1849 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Jim has built low cost illusions for years. His market has always been the part time guy who wants a big illusion but can't afford the big boys prices, and will only ever really perform it a couple of times a year anyway. The rest of the time the illusion will sit in his basement and he can show it off to his other magic buddies when they visit.

Back in 1979, I bought a Mismade Girl from him. It packed flat, pin hinged together, and I loved it. It worked, and I'd take it back and do it again today.
On the other hand, I also bought a thin sawing from him that looked decent enough, but the middle leg on one half torqued and split out of the base. We patched it up and sold it off as quickly as we could.

Bottom line: these illusions are built inexpensively to satisfy the budget conscious, part-time occasional performer. They are not intended to "troupe".

As with most things, you get what you pay for.

My 2˘

Chris
Blogging: Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few Smile
stephane_arnow
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Ok thanks.

Any review about his head and body twister (entire trick)?
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
793 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Save your money , you ll be disappointed .. I was , there products are waste of money .
euroillusion
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of euroillusion
I've seen and worked with some of Klamm's (or Sommers) illusions. Christopher Star is right with his reviews on the props. You get what you pay for. The illusions will not last under heavy use but are generally light and pack completely flat. But it could take 1 hour to set up the illusion, depending on the illusion.

Also, any of the illusions that use a base are not deceptive at all. The illusions are functional but not pretty close-up.

The other grey area is whether he has the rights to build some of the illusion.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
793 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I am sorry I don't agree at all the illusions and props are not functional at all.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2457 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I thought it was OK if you make an improvement to the illusion. Is portability and packing small not an improvement?

I am confused since I have heard this before and a lot of people have said they liked his illusions.
-Matt
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3405 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Everyone has to begin somewhere,
and if you are determined to start in presenting illusions,
and you are on a budget, won't do heavy travel,
and want good, sound quality at a great price,
then Jim Sommers is the way to go.

He worked with the Blackstone show in the day,
knows illusions inside and out,
and is a great guy with great humor.
Many of his pieces have been designed to pack small,
and set up quickly, great for say, school shows.

No, the construcion will not stand huge amounts of annual travel and shows,
yes, you may wish to re-decorate or augment his pieces for your style,
but these are low-range, low-price, good stable quality items.
Over the years Jim has done some cutstom work for me a well,
and I've always been very happy with his work.

Mr. Sommers has been builing servicable illusions for forty years,
and Klamm has been his rep for decades as well.
To compare them to other slopy or ill informed dealers is not fair.

His Chair Suspension was tested by McDonald's for their Ronald shows,
and for safety beat the competetors in the price-range.
If you are a professional, full-time, or touring illusionist,
stick with the few who build for that market.

My thoughts,
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1703 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I've had his chair for over 20 years now and it's still in great condition. From the carry bag to the equipment its self...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6896 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Walt,
When did he work for Blackstone? This is news to me.

I do know that Bill Larsen vowed to never mention his name over the Zig Zag incident.

I think most guys are right on in their assestment of his work. Once or twice a year, his props will probably serve your needs. His chair suspension does seem to be one of his better props.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
6593 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I owned a Sommers Sword Basket for a number of years, and used it in lots of shows. I was quite happy with it (although I replaced the swords with others that I liked better). I bought it directly from Jim, and had it custom made in a red fabric.

I did a little bit of customization after recieving it, to make it serve my needs.

I also agree with the assessment, that in most cases, you get what you pay for.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
506 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
I've never been impressed with his work, although the price certainly is right. However, regardless of how inexpensive the illusion is, if it doesn't work well, it's worthless.

When I was 16 or 17 I bought a brand new basket from Klamm at an SAM convention where we were performing in Stars of Tomorrow. It was ok, I liked it at the time. I used it for a couple years....but it just wasn't that great. I also used an Abbotts as a double girl prod and that got a VERY strong reaction...so, I kept the Abbotts and ditched the Sommers.
Along the same note, yet unrelated to the rest of this topic, if you use an Abbotts Basket, I strongly recommend producing a second surprise girl at the end. If you play it right, it could easily be the highlight of a medium sized illusion show...
stephane_arnow
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Hi

I just wanted to know about them; I 'm not going to buy them something.
Thanks for all this comments!

cheers
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1647 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I think the whole issue is about what you can afford. Jim has made plenty of props that have lasted many years with regular use. It's not like you use the Lightbulbs thru Girl twice and it will fall apart in your hands. I'm sure Jim still has many of the props he once used to perform, still in working order.

If you can afford to drop $7500.00 on your next illusion .. wonderful. That's the average cost of today's most popular illusions. Are you going tell me little Billy can afford something like that with his allowance??

You have to start somewhere??

Steve
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1849 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
...and Big Jim has been that starting point for dozens of illusionist wannabees for decades!

Chris
Blogging: Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few Smile
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
Knowing Bob personally and living 15 minutes from his house I have the following advice. Bob has good insight and advice for those looking to get into illusions. One kid wanted to by something big but Bob told him to work first on the skills first. I believe he offers very good customer service.

The downside is that he carries just a very few items that are not Klamm originals. The shop is very small. As an example he has talked about his sponge core rope before saying it is the best on the market for any magic tricks using rope. Well I think most people will say that may be for certain tricks but other rope works better for other tricks. It isn't long before he'll tell you that his is the best.

But that being said it is still worth a call to get his opinion if you are considering an illusion and have questions.
"What would you do if you could REALLY do magic?"
"I'd win first place in the close-up contest......"

www.myspace.com/paisanomagic

Another hobby of mine
www.myspace.com/thispopart
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
359 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
Jim Sommers is a very nice, smart man, he knows a lot about magic.I have Jim's European Asrah and Jim has reconditioned some old magic pieces that I have. I don't trust Klamm for a minute!

Michael
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
MatBlack
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MatBlack
I've just been looking at the Klamm/Sommers model chair suspension as an addition to my family show. My budget was around $800 - $1000US, but that has to include shipping to Oz.
The Klamm model fits the bill nicely, but would love to know if anyone down under has one they would part with...

M@
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Woodridge, Illinois
464 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Call Hocus Pocus and spend the $1000 on that one. I had a Sommers it is OK but the one from H.P is the best I've seen so far.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2457 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
If you are only floating kids, the Sommers one is perfect. Inexpensive, works great and gets a great reaction.
-Matt
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
OK I changed my mind - well Bob changed it for me. I would have to agree with magicdoctor wholeheartily.
"What would you do if you could REALLY do magic?"
"I'd win first place in the close-up contest......"

www.myspace.com/paisanomagic

Another hobby of mine
www.myspace.com/thispopart
BudTCB
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of BudTCB
Remember children,...if you can't say something nice.. (smile)
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
359 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
Children ?
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Klamm Magic?? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.240049 seconds, requiring 98 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [2] [2] [6] [6] [3] [4] [7]