The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Klamm Magic?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
akolodner
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of akolodner
The Klamm is to precarious. Sometimes a child looks lighter than he or she actually is when you get them up there and then its too late. I use the the Hocus Pocus one now and can feel confident every time.
Arnie Kolodner
MagicMichealMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver Island, British Columbia
349 Posts

Profile of MagicMichealMan
I have a question reguarding the jim sommers modern cabinet sold by klamm magic,

http://www.klamm-magic.com/cgi-bin/web_s......match=on

I already have a modern cabinet but it is HUGE! and takes a lot of time just to break down and set back up. even when its broken down it takes up a lot of space. I was wondering if anyone has had any expiearance with this modern cabinet? or if there are any suggestions out there on a portable one.

thanks,

magic mike
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Trust me keep away from klamm talking from experience
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I just received my sword basket and table from Klamm-Magic and Jim Sommers. Both were very accommodating and easy to deal with. They willingly customized the design of the basket according to my specifications and the delivery time was excellent. I know this isn't the "top of the line" basket, but I'm not a full time touring pro. This is an illusion that may get worked 6 ir 8 times a year, and it packs extremely flat for transport. When you combine this level of service and the price I paid for the illusion, you can't help but be satisfied.

I can't speak for the design of any of their other illusions, but the sword basket, the chair suspension and my european asrah have proven to be exactly what I needed in my show.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
I have been using two of Jims' illusions for years. Light Fantastic and his Fire Cage. Both props have served me well and have held up under constant usage. The props are light weight, pack flat and work well.
CCPCris
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
280 Posts

Profile of CCPCris
Ok, my question is this, he has a version of Inturlude by Steinmyer on his sight called Tru and Tru. Is this not a knock off. I know a magician who bought an Interlude from a freind, and customized it. It no longer looks like Steinmyers creation, as it is his own adapatation. However is Klamm's not a blainent knock off?
making the unreal, real...really!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Has anyone purchased the Klamm/Sommers Assistants Revenge? If so, I'm curious as to the quality of the construction and the set-up/tear-down time of the illusion. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there any other good, affordable builders of this illusion, please let me know. Thanks.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
KLAMM ILLUSIONS ARE NOK OFFS , VERRY BAD DESIGN AN DQUALITTY TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY IT IS TRUE THAT YOU PAY LESS BUT YOU ARE WASTING YOUR MONEY .TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE .
CCPCris
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
280 Posts

Profile of CCPCris
What I do not understand is that they sell blaneted knock offs, wihtout permison from Steinmyer or others, yet the IBM allows them to advertise in the linking ring, I guess the saying is true "money speak talks, and bull**** walks"
making the unreal, real...really!
MichaelOzMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Des Moines, Iowa
234 Posts

Profile of MichaelOzMagic
Ok just one question would you guys like klamm over snap illusions? Or would you go with Klamm??
thanks Michael
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
O.K., I guess I should have started with this question. Is the ASSISTANTS REVENGE proprietary to any particular builder? I do know that other builders have manufactured this illusion, but I'm not sure if there are any proprietary rights I need to know about. If the ASSISTANT'S REVENGE is not proprietary to anyone, does anyone have any ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with the Sommers version of this illusion?

I have purchased other products from Klamm before and I have been very satisfied with Jim Sommer's work. However, I have always intentionally avoided ordering anything from them that was proprietary to another builder. This is how I have chosen to make my ethical stand. By not buying illegal knock-offs, I am not contributing to or encouraging their continued production. However, I am perfectly content in supporting the same manufacturer for any legitimate products he chooses to produce.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Quote:
On 2009-05-09 11:37, MagicMichealMan wrote:
I have a question reguarding the jim sommers modern cabinet sold by klamm magic,

http://www.klamm-magic.com/cgi-bin/web_s......match=on

I already have a modern cabinet but it is HUGE! and takes a lot of time just to break down and set back up. even when its broken down it takes up a lot of space. I was wondering if anyone has had any expiearance with this modern cabinet? or if there are any suggestions out there on a portable one.

thanks,

magic mike

Mike,
I also had this exact same problem. Although, I do not own Klamms modern cabinet. I happen to build most of my illusions, so I set out on finding a solution. I started with Osbourne's books, naturally. In classics vol. 1 Paul describes a modern cabinet built from1x2 and covered in fabric. The sides hinge together and fold down to half their size. It is the perfect soloution to this particular Illusion. I built it in less than a week, and it packs down in an ATA case that's 30" x 30" x 10". Which is pretty small! I would recommend you give this shot.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
This is neither a rant or apology, a condemnation or judgement, an endorsement or thumbs down on Jim Sommers work. I have used and enjoyed his work, Bill Smith's, Owens' Abbott's, Wellington, Chalet, Collector's and more.

I have tried, within my limited ability, to get to know the builders. their styles, their way of doing business. I must say, that they are as bad, and as good as the many magicians I have known.

Jim's experience with illusions and illusion building is unique. He traveled for the USO for years -- using military trucks, jeeps, C-47 airplanes, and then appearing on mud-hill stages. in chow tents and halls, on truck backs -- and even, occasionally on a real stage. Packs small, plays big, and sets up and knocks down quickly while highlighting the effect -- not the decoration or atmosphere became his hallmark.

This need to move fast under fire while still being entertaining made for some important construction decisions such as using easily replaceable common hardware -- and paints that could be fixed quick. Lighter than most plywood -- that needed to be sturdy -- 3/8 Baltic Birch seven and eight ply for instance. Half inch would be too heavy and 1/4" would not hold up if an assistant leaned...

Then Jim spend time figuring out how to fold this stuff down into packages that were easy to move.

AND -- as far as "knock-off" I wish novices who do not know for sure of what they speak would research their accusations and law before they hit the submit reply button below. IN ACT Jim's Lights Through Girl is his original creation -- and even Owen Redwine who created a few copies years ago apologized to Jim for knocking him off --- and ceased making his model. I own the lights through girl -- love it -- and knew enough to redecorate mine,,,,,

I so far have two of Jim's Harbin Sawing variation - one basic rig and one upgraded set I had made for Ren Faires (both listed below for sale because of my health BTW) Simply said I feel these are the easiest to use, most economical and easy to carry carry audience member sawings available. I have used and seen most others -- and yes -- in their own way the Owen and Wellington can justify the extra costs -- but I cannot justify the extra expense.

I used the Sommers Chair Suspension for about 18 months - but work too much for adults and upgraded for a European Style like Bill Smiths custom made and guaranteed to carry 190 Lbs without sag. I sold that and got (and modified) a Gamalo levitation. The Sommers chair was great for kids and use for a party photo op but the fat kid syndrome was always on my mind.

I must add that Jim Sommer's finishes do not come close to Chalet, Owen and Wellington. Some Abbotts and MAC equal Jim's, but remember not only are Sommers built for use and transport -- but a good magician almost ALWAYS has to modify a new illusion or routine -- and I expect to redecorate. Otherwise -- you are just presenting a store bought copy anyway.

I must add that everything I have received from Sommers over the years -- including telephone advice -- has been usable and sound.

Just watch out, though, if you catch Jim on the phone when he is not busy -- he does tend to remember the past out loud -- and extend and revise his advice remarks with actual stories of how to get into, hopw ro avoid, and how to get out od trouble when performing illusions...at some length even if you are on a cell plan that counts minutes,
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Quote:
On 2009-10-04 19:21, Kent Wong wrote:
O.K., I guess I should have started with this question. Is the ASSISTANTS REVENGE proprietary to any particular builder? {snip}
Kent

Kent:

No, it is not. It was created by Robert Harbin in the 70s.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Quote:
On 2009-10-04 21:44, chmara wrote:
IN ACT Jim's Lights Through Girl is his original creation -- and even Owen Redwine who created a few copies years ago apologized to Jim for knocking him off --- and ceased making his model. I own the lights through girl -- love it -- and knew enough to redecorate mine,,,,,

I owned and used Jim's "Light Fantastic" for years. I had a great routine but I longed for a better-built version. (I was used to Chalet quality as George's shop is about 90 miles from me.) I saw Owen Redwine's version on a Rand Woodbury Illusionworks Video (he was visiting builders.) I called Owen and asked him about it. I even asked if he had permission to build it. He told me Jim had given him permission and so I bought one from him. I love that version but it is disappointing to find out he didn't have permission after all.

Back to the original subject, I have had a couple of Sommers' illusions and know others who have had some. The construction isn't bad but it isn't up to Chalet or better (i.e. Bill Smith, Owens, Wellington.) I felt I had to be more careful with the Sommers' illusions to make sure they didn't get damaged. (I had to send my "Light Fantastic back to Jim when one of the sockets broke off. He fixed it quickly and charged a fair price.)

My opinion is that he builds a pretty good prop for light use but I wouldn't recommend his illusions for a touring show or anyone that uses illusions on a very regular basis.

Michael
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2009-10-04 22:00, Christopher Starr wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-10-04 19:21, Kent Wong wrote:
O.K., I guess I should have started with this question. Is the ASSISTANTS REVENGE proprietary to any particular builder? {snip}
Kent

Kent:

No, it is not. It was created by Robert Harbin in the 70s.

It must have been created about 1970, or earlier, considering that Mark Wilson performed an early version of it on Magic Circus.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Klamm Magic?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL