The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Your Favorite Math Principle/Trick (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
In going through my books today I've found two more that give interesting suggestions for using the Nine Principle: "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Magic Tricks," by Tom Ogden, in the chapter he calls "Arithmetricks," and "Magic with Everyday Objects," by George Schindler, in the chapter on mentalism. I'm sure I've run across this fascinating principle in lots more books, too. I've figured that something like that observation by Martin Gardner that Nir mentions must be the case, but I've never been mathematician enough to be sure.
-- Hushai
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Think of any two digit number.
Subtract from it the sum of its two digits.
The result will always be a multiple of nine.
And, of course, the digital sum of any multiple of nine is nine.

Explanation, if needed, is:
Let A equal the first digit and B equal the second digit. Thus, the original two digit number is of the form 10A+B. Subtract the sum of the two digits (A+B) like so:
10A+B-(A+B)=9A.

This is arguably the simplest way to force a nine.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
The two digit case to force a nine is exploited in a number of simple tricks. The technique extends to more than two digits, and it doesn't matter if you combine the digits continuously. If you add the digits of any base 10 number, and subtract the resulting number from the original number, then you will get a multiple of 9! And of course, it's digits will sum down to 9. This is the principle of "casting out nines" that used to be used by accountants to check arithmetic before the advent of computers.

For example, staring with the number 1567,

1 + 5 + 6 + 7 = 19

1567 - 19 = 1548 = 9 * 172

1 + 5 + 4 + 8 = 18 and 1 + 8 = 9

Also, you can repeatedly add the original digits down to fewer digits before subtracting, i.e.

1 + 5 + 6 + 7 = 19

1 + 9 = 10

1 + 0 = 1

1567 - 1 = 1566 = 9 * 174

You still get a multiple of 9, and of course those digits all add repeatedly until just 9 is obtained.

There is a lot more that can be written about this relating to sums, products, and quotients, but subtraction is always used in magic to get directly to a given result.
Most of the effects that use this "directly" are not strong, since many people realize that if you use a number on itself, then there can be some kind of cancellation leading to a predetermined result, even if they don't understand the relationship. I write "most" because there are some strong applications. A really cool application of this principle is The Flash Mind Reader. (Give this page time to load.)

By the way, this extends to other base systems, i.e. in base eight, you would cast out sevens. Of course, in the case of base two, the binary system, where you cast out twos, the result is trivial, and just reduces to parity, i.e. whether the number has an even or odd number of ones in it.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I don't know the principle or the mathematics involved (I would love to know), but I do a trick with two stacks of six cards arranged in a palendromic order to each other. The two piles contain identical cards (for example each pile contains the Ace through 6 of Spades). Cards are dealt one at a time from the top to the bottom and the dealer is randomly told to switch piles as a word is spelled. At the end of the spelling, the top cards are shown to match. They are removed and another word is spelled one letter at a time, following the same procedure.

Anybody know why this works and any history associated with this principle?
Coram Deo
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
A fun trick that works purely by probability (and thus belongs on this thread, I guess) can be found at http://magic.about.com/library/tricks/bltrick42a.htm

I first encountered this in Garcia & Schindler's "Magic with Cards." I present it as a sleight-of-hand trick I've been working on and haven't quite perfected, because I can get two cards of the same value together, but haven't been able to get them to be the same SUIT yet. I put the deck behind my back for a second and just riffle the cards, pretending to be instantly rearranging them, sight unseen, after the spectator has just shuffled them thoroughly. As I said, it's fun, and must be THE easiest magical effect anyone ever did. -- Hushai
dlhoyt
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of dlhoyt
Quote:
On 2003-06-17 00:47, Steven Steele wrote:
... I do a trick with two stacks of six cards arranged in a palendromic order to each other. ...
Anybody know why this works and any history associated with this principle?

Steven, this principle is explored in Max Maven's recent book, RedivideR (note the palindromic nature of the title). It is also the basis of an effect by Larry Becker -- Will the cards match, which can be found in Stunners, Plus. The Maven book has many effects that exploit the principle.

Dale Hoyt
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
My favorite math principle has to be the devilish little faro shuffle. My favorite faro based trick is Chaos by Pit Hartling. I love pattering about the precision necesary since its fully mathematical (entirely true) while chaotically placing cards and apparently mixing them horribly. Its a rare trick that makes an anti-faro entertaining.
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
I shall also mention the "Jackpot Coins", a simple mathematical effect illustrated by Gerard Croiset in the 18th century, and recently refurbished by Barrie Richardson in his "Theater of the Mind"
Brandon Harper
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, Texas
207 Posts

Profile of Brandon Harper
I have been performing the following trick for quite some time. Many magicians are surprised to learn that this effect was created using a simple mathematical trick.

A deck of cards is shuffled and the spectator is asked to choose four cards, a free choice. You tell them that based on the cards chosen, the deck will reveal personal information about them. You turn the cards over and begin to reveal information about the spectator. Of course, you are completely wrong. You offer to try again, so you add enough cards to each chosen card to equal 10 (e.g. if the card is a six, you add four cards to that pile, if it is a Jack you don't add any). You then "read" these cards as well. Again, WRONG. You offer to try one more time. You add the values of the original four cards together and deal that many cards into a pile as well. You then tell the spectator that the next card is their lucky number. It is turned over and is a seven. You then deal the next seven cards face up and ask if they are relevant to the spectator. After a few seconds, the spectator will realize that the seven cards are their telephone number.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2003-06-23 11:21, highmagic wrote:
I shall also mention the "Jackpot Coins", a simple mathematical effect illustrated by Gerard Croiset in the 18th century, and recently refurbished by Barrie Richardson in his "Theater of the Mind"

If you like Jackpot Coins, you'll love Stewart James' "Dollars and (Sixth) Sense", written up in Bob Farmer's Flim-Flam column in the February 1995 issue of MAGIC. Here's the effect as written in the column:

Quote:
Effect: Several coins and three bills, a one, a five and a ten are tabled. Four spectators, A, B, C and D, are watching.

You turn your back. Three spectators, A, B and C, divide the three bills among themselves, pocketing them.

You turn around and give one coin to A, two to B and three to C. Several coins are still left on the table.

Your turn your back and give the following instructions:

The person with the dollar is to take some more coins, as many coins as you gave him (he's doubling his coinage).

The person on holding the five is to take twice as many coins as you gave him.

The person holding the ten is to take four times as many coins as you gave him.

The fourth spectator, D, takes all the coins remaining on the table and conceals them in his fist.

You turn around and reveal the number of coins held by D. Then you name which person has the one, the five and the ten.

While I can't reveal the method, I can tell you where to find it. The way you reveal the number of coins D is holding is the same as used in "Jackpot Coins" (generically known as "Debit & Credit", BTW). The way you determine who has the 1, 5 and 10 is written up in Martin Gardner's "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic" under "Matches: Mathematical Tricks" (look at Item #10).

With those two clues, it shouldn't be hard to put the method together.
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Thanks Scott - I'll check Gardner's book for the final part
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Here's yet another cool mathemagical principle!

Check out Lewis Jones' "The Pattern Principle" in Steve Beam's "Semi-Automatic Card Tricks, Vol. 3". The principle itself isn't a math principle, however, it would be next to impossible for it to work if the mathematics of it weren't worked out properly.

Basically, it minimizes the work required to remember the order of the colors in the deck.

One read through the principle, and the included effects, "Red Alert 1, 2, 3 & 4," and I was well, like this: Smile

There's some great & unexplored potential in the "Pattern Principle".
domclarke
View Profile
Regular user
Windsor, UK
147 Posts

Profile of domclarke
"Reversal" in Banachek's Psychological Subtleties.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Here's a mentalism effect from Buckley's Gems of Mental Magic that uses a math idea that very few know. The effect, called Devious Digits as described by Buckley:

Here is a miracle in which a number that runs into the quintillions is reached by multiplication of a random selection of numbers. Yet a spectator who calls a friend of the performer by telephone is given this long number accurately while it is being worked out by the assistant in the room.

The multiplication involves a 15-digit number times any number from one to thirteen. While the first number is not really random, the second is freely selected. It's a killer!
landmark

Another favorite old-time gag is the Piano Card Trick from Royal Road. Though simple, it's amazing how many people you can fool with it if you present it as a sleight of hand trick.
landmark
riberts
View Profile
New user
Yorkshire, UK
52 Posts

Profile of riberts
Quote:
On 2003-05-13 18:38, Magictrickster wrote:
My favorite mathematical effect is the use of a calculator to generate a number, which I use as a book test. A spectator types in, say, any three digit number then multiplies it by any other three digit number then presses the equal key to produce an answer which leads to the page, line and word in a book. The number is of course one I've pre-selected. Please message be privately if you'd like to know how to do this (you need a scientific calculator to do it).

Brian.

I agree Brian it's a good effect. There's a similar use of this principal used by Roger Curzon (from Sheffield's Magick) in his booklet "Blood on the Tricks".

Effect is
- a spectator 'shuffles' a packet of 9 differently numbered cards;
- 1 or 2 spectators randomly generate a number using a calculator

The 9 cards when dealt out form the 9 digit number generated. Not a math effect per se, but very powerful - can be dressed up as either (im)probability of events occurring, the power of the subconscious etc, etc...

Cheers
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Lately I've been doing a lot of work with Bob Hummer's "3 object divination" principle. It's very versatile. A good description is in Bill Simon's Mathematical Magic book.

Ben Blau
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
There's a trick in Scarne on Card tricks, with a name I don't recall, that's very good. The spectator shuffles the deck. Upon getting it back, you ribbon spread it face up and get a quick look at the third card from the bottom as you show that the cards are well mixed. Now write a prediction and keep it face down on the table, which names this card. Have someone reach into deck and pull out any ten cards (except for the bottom 3). Now mix those ten up and have someone pick any 4 of them & turn them face up. Now if you can, for each of those 4 cards transfer enough cards from the top to bottom to make each one equal ten. E.g., if a 3 shows, transfer 7 cards to the bottom, if a 10 or face card shows, don't transfer any. If you can do this without visibly counting so much the better, but sometimes I do it openly. Then look at the 4 cards that were selected from the 10. Add their values. Openly deal that number face up but stop when you get to the number and hold that card face down. Turn over your prediction and show it. Now turn over the card. They will match.
bobmcmathman
View Profile
New user
Arizona
43 Posts

Profile of bobmcmathman
Does anybody else use Gardner's cube root and fifth root 'calculations'? I find people seem to enjoy these as an amazing demonstration of memory. (I don't present them as lightning calculations, but instead patter about how I have been honing my memory by memorizing tables of roots.) I usually precede this with some actual easy calculations of squares of 2-digit numbers ending in 0 or 5.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Cube and fifth root are great demonstrations especially to an audience who is more mathematically oriented.
If you can do other mental calculations using logarithms for instance, it absolutely kills.
stick
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of stick
By far the best trick using mathematics is to be found in the “Royal Road to Card Magic”, page 148 and is called “An Incomprehensible Divination.”
It kills laymen and some magicians. I have used it for years.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Your Favorite Math Principle/Trick (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL