The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Mikame Craft's Pitch/Practice Table Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
The Professional Pitch/Practice Table by Mikame Craft
Small -- 4200 yen (about $45 at present rates)

Background:
I am an amateur magician who does volunteer shows (arranged through my magic club) on a once-every-few-months basis. Living in Japan, it sometimes makes more sense to ride the train and busses to these shows than drive. My regular magic table, a heavy-duty music stand, only fits in a huge suitcase and weighs it down quite a lot. I was looking for something that is versatile , light, packable, and doesn't cost a fortune. I came across this item on the Mikame Craft website:

http://mikamecraft.ocnk.net/product/22

Although the English site only shows the large table, they actually come in three sizes, Large, Medium and Small. I chose the small since that would fit into a small wheeled suitcase that is the easiest to tote around when taking public transit to a show.

What you get:
You receive a box about the size of the table you ordered. Inside are the table top and the wire attachment that is to extend down to the bars on the retractable handle of your suitcase. The table size is slightly smaller than my 11-by-17-inch folding close-up mat, and at that size the wire bar, when folded against the table, extends a little wider than the table itself. The photographs on the website indicate that at larger sizes, the wire bar folds under the table without sticking out the side.

Like all Mikame wood products the woodwork is excellent. The tabletop is a well-made blonde-wood platform with nice looking edges. Underneath is a wooden stopper that butts against the outside-top portion of your suitcase's retractible handle. The wire bar is connected to the tabletop by small plastic attachments secured with a tiny screw on each. This, in effect, makes a hinge for the wire bar. At each end of the wire bar are hooks meant to hook over the retractible bars on your suitcase's handle. So all-in-all there are four pieces, One wire bar, one tabletop, and two fasteners/hinges.

The Good:
The table is very nice! When set firmly, it resists wobbling and makes for a nice platform for displaying magic. It is very well made, especially for the price. It packs flat and is not too heavy. A very nice way to have a table without the cost in money or space.

The Bad
There is very little that is actually bad about this table. It is a no-frills platform (unlike other Mikame tables which come with a servante, holdouts or similar handy devices) meant to be set up on one's suitcase. You come out looking a little less-than-professional when using it in a show since you are obviously using a suitcase as your table's stand, but you buy into that premise the moment you decide to buy the table.

The "Could be Better"
Okay, there are drawbacks to the table that aren't obvious from the website. The worst of which is that there is nothing to stop the hooks from sliding down the suitcase's retractible handle bars. You have to figure out something to stop the hooks for yourself. The suitcase displayed on the website had a handle at exactly the right height for the bar to rest on the top of the suitcase. None of my suitcases have handles that stop at that perfect height. The instructions advise you to buy stoppers (not included) to keep the bars from sliding downward. I bought a foam-rubber tube (the kind of thing that looks like padding on bicycle handles) and I use that to shore up the table at the right height. If the table's support bar could have been locked at a certain angle from the tabletop at the hinge end, the stoppers wouldn't have been needed (although it might have increased the price of the table). There is also no way provided to actually secure the table to the suitcase. It's just gravity that holds it there, and if you are as clumsy as I am, a ill-considered gesture could upturn the table very easily. I use flat elastic bands, one around the table to secure it to the handle, and one around the points where the table's metal bar meets the suitcase's retractible bars.

Conclusion
Although I needed to do some experimenting to make up for the table's drawbacks, I'm glad I made the purchase. My shows don't need to be as professional looking as a theater show, and since I make judicious use of Uday's low-priced Servante Utility tablecloth, the suitcase hardly shows. This means I have what I was looking for, a low-priced table that packs small and travels well.

Recommended with caveats.
Bill
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Thanks for the review, Bill.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
ScHeRzO
View Profile
New user
Ecuador
63 Posts

Profile of ScHeRzO
Great Review my friend.

What do you think about the DM demonstration Table by mikame?

Thank you
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
I don't have time for a full review, but I'm completely in love with the demonstration table. Beautiful woodwork, holdouts for coins, cards, oversized coins, and a TT, it also has a secret gimmick for getting glimpss, not to mention the servante/storage shelf below the table. It can even tip up so a seated audience can see the items on the table more easily.

It has three drawbacks. 1) It is pretty heavy. 2) It has no rim, and when I was practicing Cups & Balls, the balls rolled off the table easily. 3) The rubber on the closeup mat stank to high heaven until it was aired out for a rather lengthy period of time. Once it was aired out, it was fine, though.

If I had to buy it agian, I would. A beautiful table. (But it's something to be used at your home, shop, or an area where you do magic frequently. It's portable, but not very portable.)

Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Mikame Craft's Pitch/Practice Table Review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL