We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2009 entrée: Bob Sheets » » Continually Improving » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2502 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Hi Bob,

I know that you are always looking for ways to make your magic better. What has helped you improve your act the most over the past four to five years?

-Barry
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."

-Pop Haydn
BobSheets
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of BobSheets
Hi Barry,

Have I seen that mug a time or two?

If you love magic the way I do your never done with it. I think that having great teachers is the way to grow your magic.

To get a good teacher you of course have to show you’re a good student. The apprentice has to show the Master that he is willing to go to any lengths to improve his art.

Passion is the defining element. Even if your skills are below the needed level a good teacher can show you the right way and eliminate a lot of wasted time, expense, and heart ache by showing you the real tried and true secrets. It’s an ancient practice in our art and not talked about enough. You always here the great ones talk about their teachers.

You have to prepare by showing an interest in the history and subject whether it’s, cards, coins, manipulation stagecraft, silent, comedy, illusions. You must show that your efforts and real work are equal to your desire to improve. Your teacher isn’t going to do the work and if you come back and you haven’t really done any work the class if over.

Enthusiasm and the ability to hear someone else’s ideas, practice, bring it back and show you were actually listening can’t be underestimated. The great student turns the Master into a student again and together they both grow.

If you’ve never coached anyone in your life you are missing a big opportunity to re-invigorate your own magic.

The conversation between two professional magicians, both working to improve and grow is one of the most satisfying things in magic. And to sometimes talk about your student or steer them in the direction of other good teachers makes everyone grow.

I have had many, many, many awesome teachers. I’ll be talking about a lot of them here.

The last 5 years? Well it’s actually been more like the last decade. The biggest thing that has changed and allowed me to find even more love for magic was taking the Bob Fitch Workshops. http://www.fitchmagic.com

To say that this experience changed my magical life would be an understatement. I found out about Bob’s workshop when I was working at Magicopolis with Steve Spill. Just as I finished that year I went to the workshop.

Bob asked me “what can I show you”? Well 9 workshops later I am humbled by what I have will continue to learn from the most incredible teacher in magic. He has mentored Steve Bargatze, Jeff McBride, David Copperfield, David Blaine, Bill Malone, Bob Kohler, Steve Bedwell, Alain Nu, Paul Gertner, Gio, Gene Anderson and so many more. The opportunity for a little comedy magician to learn anything from this true Broadway star is something I treasure. Our Master and apprentice relationship has grown to Master and journeyman status and into a deep friendship that comes from two people engaged and immersed in making magic better.

Thanks for asking Barry. LOL.

I'd love to hear what some of you have done to improve your acts as well. Bob
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
The best thing I ever did was to busk at a Renn Faire. What a confidence builder, but only after learning not to worry about the rejection.

I still remember the fear, not knowing if anyone was going to stop and if they did would they stay.

3-4 effects all day long (10-15 minute sets). Including the slightly modified Sheets Egg Bag. (Not the money trick, but fun.)

I'll second Bob's need for Passion. If you are enjoying it they are more likely to enjoy it as well.

Getting and holding an audience that has no reason to stay and watch you (or pay you) is a great training ground.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
BobSheets
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of BobSheets
To good to not move back to the top. bob.
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Right
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2009 entrée: Bob Sheets » » Continually Improving » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL