The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2009 entrée: Bob Sheets » » What I Didn’t Tell You About "Intuition" » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BobSheets
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of BobSheets
What I Didn’t Tell You

I wanted to share a few insights about “Intuition” from Act one of the "Bob Does Hospitality" series. This routine is directly out of my trade show act. Because of the clean and simple method it is designed to leave no clues with a lot of freedom to pitch the company and take care of a particular type of spectator.

I don’t really like Trade Shows all that much. Here’s why. Every one of these things I’ve worked I look over my left shoulder and there’s some jerk standing just out of my sight who dog’s me all day. Quite literally he’s a dog on a tennis ball. His only objective is to catch me at some invisible screw up so he can jump up and down and scream, “I caught you. I figured it out.” Buddy it would take a real lack of intelligence if you held that pose all day and didn’t catch me. In fact I’ve been known to tell him to “sit boy. Come here boy. Pick a card? You see anything yet? How long you been standing there? You gonna stand there all day? I guess you are.” I do have a sick sense of humor. It’s just if I have put up with this guy I have to get something out of it too.

So intuition was born. Two or three cards are seemingly peeked by the audience and lost in the pack in a very violent mixing of the deck. There are a lot of comments about the violence and some of these comments are aimed at my new best friend. It seems like the harder I hit this the more irritating it is to my buddy and the funnier it is to the audience.

He’s a little uncomfortable because he knows he should be working his own booth and he knows that I’m just taunting him. The cards are revealed and then an audience member switches places with me and from the showroom floor I mix among the crowd and giving some directions to the new magician as 3 more cards are selected and no one looks at them. This bothers my pet buddy because there is nothing for him to “catch”.

The final sequence has other members of the crowd bit by bit, one by one, naming the individual cards. Many times the whole audience could name the card and my buddy has no clue of why he doesn’t get it.

To say that this routine kills would be a serious understatement. It could works equally well in a formal close up show, stand up or parlor. Real close up you have to play it a little softer and edit the routine to not run so long. The back-story I’m giving you is all attitude and you don’t have to do this as hard as I’ve made it sound.

I didn’t explain this on the DVD since it would have taken to long and is probably not that entertaining to listen to. It is very definitely an act. It demonstrates the power of a simple method coupled with good a good script to create a powerful routine.

You may not get my kind of response first time out. But I believe if you find your personality and play this in your best tongue and cheek manner you will eventually have a card act that you can do at any time and it doesn’t lose anything in the repeat. The audience members who name the cards many times do not know how they are doing it. That is the best. Sometimes they do know why they know what the card is and they laugh at that just as hard. Both are very entertaining.

This routine was passed over in review because they failed to see the impact of the effect. I think it fooled a lot of people watching and it did get a really great response from the little group of four.

It is one of my favorites and makes me laugh every time I perform it. The bonus is it saved Bob’s sanity at the trade shows.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Bob, THANK YOU for sharing that and taking the time to write it up. For those of us that have the set, it's a big help!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2009 entrée: Bob Sheets » » What I Didn’t Tell You About "Intuition" » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL