The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito Box (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Well, I have been thinking of getting an Okito Box.

One problem, I have been looking on-line and all of them look the same, UGLY.

I want something that looks more then a round little brass thing. None of them have that 'look.'

The only one that looked any different was the Buddah Box on Penguin Magic.

And that only looked 'ok' at best!

Chris
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
I've seen a number of places selling a "Dragon" Okito box. It's made of pewter and, from the photographs, looks very nice.

I've never seen one up close, but there's a good shot and a small review of it here:

http://www.zyworld.com/coinpurse/Reviews3.htm

Hope that's helpful.

Cy.
Air56
View Profile
Regular user
SC
140 Posts

Profile of Air56
Seismic-
Relative "beauty" of a prop shouldn't be the only consideration. The appearance of an article in a routine either "ugly or beautiful" should be addressed in the scripting. Many routines are based around objects which are very mundane and not attractive at all. That having been said I do agree that the design of the Buddah box is very pleasing and the advert. also suggests utility to that particular design.
A routine designed around that style of box and a story about a collection of Chinese coins might be just the way for you to get into coin box magic. Smile Smile Smile
DJM " Not all who wander are lost"
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
I actually prefer the Budah Box to any box I have used, even over Roth's set. If you polish them up they are really pretty to look at, and as Air56 mentions the design of the box aids in some applications. The worst box I have is actually the most attractive. It's design hinders some of the moves. I highly recommend the Budah Box.
Jason
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I'd look for a box with a nice thick flat top edge if you want help doing Rim Steals.
Click to visit:
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I have a standard Johnson Products box, it's old and had a couple dings in it. I tried using a fine steel wool to clean it up. It's now smooth and weathered. Im thinking of having an ornate inital engraved in the top, and then go after it again with the steel wool. I use the setup of it being an antique pill box, and now it looks like one.
-Josh
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Air56
View Profile
Regular user
SC
140 Posts

Profile of Air56
While we are discussing the Buddah Box. Does it come in any of the typical variants or just in the standard box?

Smile Smile Smile
B-MAN
View Profile
New user
Luxembourg
72 Posts

Profile of B-MAN
I have seen the Buddah box as a okito box, a slot box, a sucker box, a slug box and altho I cant recall where, I have seen that they even made some that work the same as a chop cup. I hope this helps.
" No matter what you accomplish in this life.... the size of your funeral will be determinded by the weather " Gizzard

G.B.T.S.
Air56
View Profile
Regular user
SC
140 Posts

Profile of Air56
B-MAN-
Thanks for the quick response. Greatly Appreciated.

Smile Smile Smile
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I recently purchased both an Okito and a Boston box. I enjoy the added utility of the Boston. Is the "Dragon Box" available in a Boston configuration?
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
http://www.magicstor.com/files/cointrik.htm

Has a dragon box in boston configuration.

I think that dragon box would be a problem though because of the design.

The silver engraved dragon (which I plan on getting) is available at MAgic Smith for $13.50!

Chris
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
I have the Dragon Okito Box from the zyworld.com page listed above. It isn't bad, but just don't drop it on concrete...the coins won't fit anymore after that.

Honestly, I'd rather have one of the boxes listed at the magicstor.com site listed above. I don't believe they make Boston boxes similar to the box I have now, making it impossible for me to switch it out, should I decide I want to do that in a routine.
Chris Boyd
"Jaws dropping is the sweetest sound..."
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Viking has boxes that are unique in shape (sort of like a UFO). Nice but I don't think the handling is easier than most other boxes due to the shape.
Bernard Sim
wizbob
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
15 Posts

Profile of wizbob
The best boxes I have used are the ones made by Jim Zee out of Florida. don't have the exact address but you might find it by doing a search
richgerb86
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, Pa.
204 Posts

Profile of richgerb86
I have boxes by Shamrock Magic that I think are great, nice weight, thick rim, & many styles available. I do not know the web site, you will have to do search.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
After trying out different boxes I now use the David Roth custom boxes. Totally satisfied. And they take an exp. Shell. Nice routines possible.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
The Okorto Box Set that Johnson makes are real good, in my opinion. I have a question though. I've been working with the okito box of the set and just started to work with the Boston box. The problem is that the okito box has dulled and i want to match the boston box with the same dullness. Does anyone have any ideas?
-Bill
wizbob
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
15 Posts

Profile of wizbob
Either use the other boxes till they match or polish all the boxes to match Smile
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Thanks for the info wizbob. I appreciate it
-Bill
Ignorance
View Profile
New user
Bradford Ontario Canada
5 Posts

Profile of Ignorance
I got a very nice set from Shamrock Magic and Collectebles. The website unfortunately seems to be gone. The set was a standard box, Boston and a slot box.

http://www.shamrockmagicandcollectibles.bigstep.com

They also made wands and other okito box's with exotic wood inlay. Neet-O. I wonder what happened to them?
~ Time
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito Box (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL