The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Needs help. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
I am just starting out as a magician. My nephew has a birthday party soon and I thought that my mentor and I can do both clowning and magic. (They love him because he does the magic. Half the time they ask him how he does it, and he always shows them.) But I was wondering about tricks that we can do that kids absolutely love? Smile Smile Smile Smile
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
No wonder they love him. It's not a good thing to show the kids how the magic is done. He's obviosly not a professional if that's the way he works. In my opinion, that would spoil all the fun and amazement for the children.

Quote:
On 2003-05-11 16:34, But I was wondering about tricks that we can do that kids absolutely love?

You said the above quote, and mention the word 'WE'. I would be surprised if anyone told you anything at all. Any professional, or any dedicated magicians DO NOT show or tell how magic is done to children.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I would advise any kids' trick costing you over $350. This way you would certainly keep secrets, as a large proportion of the value of a trick is its secret!
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
Hi,
With regard to which tricks kids love, I think the age of the child is a factor here— although a lot of tricks can be suited to various ages with different handling.

In general, though, I think kids like to see interesting, varied and brightly coloured props, and often love effects in which they can assist.

Brian.
Brian
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Easy now, let's not be so hard on Dragona! So his nephew shows how a couple of tricks are done— so what?

What do we do about totally inept magicians who unintentionally expose almost everything they do? (And there are many, many of them!)
Dragona, exposure is a "hot" issue among a lot of magicians so you are probably better off not doing it!

And the age is quite important; how old are the kids that you are aiming at? And, by the way, how old is your nephew?
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I'm certainly not going to give ideas to someone who may go around exposing the methods, it's stupid and very unprofessional, and you'll find other magicians will not share their stuff if you get a reputation for doing it.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Before everyone jumps in to this quagmire, did anyone ever give any thought to the fact that nobody— repeat, NOBODY— is born knowing the rules?

They have to be taught.

And insults and rudeness is certainly the wrong way to teach anyone anything.

I repeat: Lighten up!
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Peter, I'm not being insulting or rude. Just stating that it's not the right thing to do to tell children how you do the magic. Yes, we all have to learn, but there are the correct ways to teach a child magic and wrong ways. You don't perform a show to kids and then tell them how to do it. If you had a repeat booking, or if the kids saw you somewhere else performing your show, you can imagine how bad it would be.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
742 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
While on the topic of exposure I found this report on CNN titled: Magicians sue after tricks revealed
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
True Peter, everyone starts somewhere, and wherever you start the first thing your told, even in the children's magic books and sets are DO NOT REVEAL THE SECRETS.

As the CNN report says it can effect someone's livelyhood so basically Dragona, as you use the word WE in your post about your nephew, you could get tarred with the same brush so you need to teach him real quick. If magicians don't trust you or your nephew to keep the secrets they won't give you any help/advice or tricks.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I didn't mean to single out anyone specifically as being insulting and rude.

I just wanted to point out that there is another way of doing this.

Gentle persuasion will just as easily keep someone on the right track and not turn him or her off magic, as a tirade might.

Yes, emazdad, the first rule of magic is "do not reveal secrets".

But that should also apply to secrets being revealed unintentionally, as by inept, poor performers!

That is the single biggest problem right now in magic and the one that CAN be corrected.
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
First, the age of the kids I'm aiming at would be 6 to 7 years old. Second, I used the wrong words. He doesn't reveal the secrets to everyone, in fact he doesn't REVEAL secrets at all. He teaches them how to do a trick every once in awhile. When they get it down, then he teaches them another trick. He thinks it's a good idea to teach them while young. Bring them up loving magic so in a few years when they become skilled, they will be here on this same forum helping others out.
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4867 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On 2003-05-11 18:40, Peter Marucci wrote:
Easy now, let's not be so hard on Dragona! So his nephew shows how a couple of tricks are done— so what?

I think everyone misread Dragona's statement. He did not say his nephew showed how to do a few tricks but that his mentor always shows the kids how they were done. I think this is a little different than what Peter has said. Rather than exposing the secrets all the time, maybe his mentor should start a magic class.

Of course, maybe I am the one who misread the post. In which case, I stand corrected.
Where the magic begins
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2003-05-11 16:34, Dragona wrote:
Half the time they ask him how he does it, and he always shows them.)
I certainly read this part correctly. It reads to me that your mentor shows them magic, and then (half the time) shows them how it's done.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of  NJJ
Here is the article in full.

Great news!

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- Magicians claiming they nearly went broke after a television program aired the secrets of their trade have won a legal fight against Brazil's largest television network.

TV Globo must pay damages to 21 magicians in the southern state of Rio Grande do Sul because of a program that revealed how magicians perform such tricks as pulling rabbits out of hats and sawing women in half, Judge Eduardo Kothe Werlang ruled recently.

The show featured Leonard Montano, an American magician known as "Mister M" who always hid his identity with a scary black mask and was not named as a defendant in the lawsuit.

"Mister M took all the magic out of magic," Paulo Roberto Brito Martins, one of the magicians who sued, said Friday. "It was like depriving a child of happiness and the right to fantasize when you tell him Santa Claus does not exist."

Martins, whose has performed as "Uncle Tony the Magician" for three decades, estimated he lost 1.5 million reals (US$518,000) since 1999 because many people lost interest in magic after learning how the tricks were performed.

His show on a local television station was dropped, many clients stopped contracting him for shows at parties and theaters and business slumped at his magic store in Porto Alegre, a city about 540 miles (875 kilometers) south of Sao Paulo.

Globo TV was ordered to pay an amount equal to the income each magician lost since early 1999, when it first aired Mister M segments on its weekly "Fantastico" show, said Sergio dos Santos, a court official.

TV Globo did not immediately respond to requests seeking comment on the judgment. It took Mister M off the air about 10 months after the first broadcast.

Martins estimates Porto Alegre magicians lost 60 to 70 percent of their income because of the show. He isn't banking on a quick payout from the judgment because it will take time to calculate the losses, and because an appeal is anticipated.

"But we have won the first battle," Martins said.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Dragona has now come back and moved the goalposts, so I think little more can be said on the original posting. But to comment on 'exposure' in general, I think that it's almost a crime to reveal secrets to younger children, as you are not only ruining business for others— some of whom may be capable of a more seamless performance than yourself— but you are taking away a basic ingredient of childhood, innocence and the ability to believe.

Just read your info on the "masked man" Nicholas. It appears this could be the said same guy we've seen in this sort of programme in the UK. I understood that he was in fact a professional dancer(?). However, I know that damage has been done especially to illusion acts working cruise liners etc. who may have just spent big bucks on items that were thrown open by these programmes. I also heard that threats of violence or even worse had been rumoured against this guy and the producers of the series— how true I don't know. As far as kids entertainers are concerned I think the damage was minimal.

Here in England there is a store in Manchester that was selling mini Chinese Sticks and *-shaped blade choppers many years ago. I retired my Wrist Chopper (which I would not use anyway now), and a brand new set of Chinese Sticks I'd just bought from Supreme Magic at the time.

Tony.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Needs help. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL