The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Persian rug close-up mats (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
680 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
Does anyone know of a supplier of the miniature Persian type rugs that can be used for close-up mats?

Any information would be appreciated.

Leslie.
Stories....?....That's telling!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3375 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Like this?

http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?c......6573&P=F

"GOOGLE"! These things are all out there, including Amazon.com, just use the search engines.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
680 Posts

Thanks Steve - that's the item!

I did use Google, but was only offered doll house carpets (too small) and embroidery kits! I was obviously using the wrong key words!

I decided that there would be people here on the 'Cafe' who actually used this type of mat. I was right!

Thanks again!

Leslie.
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
680 Posts

Whilst being very attractive, Persian rug mousemats at 10" x 7" are unfortunately too small for my requirements! - The search goes on!

Leslie
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Okay, I didn't want to tip this, but here you go:

http://www.thefringeconnection.net/catalog_c326528.html

These are hand-knotted Persian rugs the size of a place mat. I bought one from this company last year to use in my bowl routine. It's high quality, rolls up like a regular close-up pad and looks great. You'll be more than pleased.
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
680 Posts

Thank you Donal - you're a gent! This one seems to be what I'm looking for.

Thanks again,

Leslie
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
You're most welcome.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Muslims often carry small prayer rugs with them that are typically hand woven and very beautiful. And just the right size. That may also be something to search for.

I remember a young man producing such a mat at a hostal in Florence once and placing it on the floor at prayer time. "Look, he's going to stand on his head", an American tourist exclaimed with loud excitement.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
680 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion. I have considered these but some Muslims here in the U.K. might very well take offense. The prayer mat is an esteemed item in their religion and a magician using one might be deemed disrespectful; blasphemous even! - wars have been initiated on less!

But thanks again for the thought!

Leslie.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
That's a good point Leslie. I suppose I figured that with so many different designs, they might not necessarily recognize one as such an item, if seen in a completely different context.

But you are probably right.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of BCS
I think the rug thing is a fantastic idea, I also had the same thought that using a prayer rug as a close-up mat might be offensive. Which design is just a decorative rug?

Thanks,
Bruce
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
680 Posts

The Muslim prayer mats that I have seen have a one-way design; often in the form of an middle eastern mosque-like building. Some prayer mats have a built-in compass because Muslims are required to face Mecca when praying.

The mats that I am looking for are just Persian rugs in miniature. The Fringe Connection that Donal generously mentions above have placemats in many designs. They are slightly wider than your average 'close-up' mat but they suit my needs and I am currently in the process of getting one from them.

Check the link in Donal's post.

Leslie
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
If anyone is looking for something a bit larger, that same vendor also has small Persian scatter rugs that, at 1.5' x 2', are the size of many close-up table tops. Just click on the "Scatter Rugs" button on the menu to the left.
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
680 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-03-12 15:19, Donal Chayce wrote:

These are hand-knotted Persian rugs the size of a place mat. I bought one from this company last year to use in my bowl routine. It's high quality, rolls up like a regular close-up pad and looks great. You'll be more than pleased.

Delighted to tell you all that my Persian rug (close-up) Placemats arrived today and they are beautiful! The rug measures 18" (including fringes at each end) by 12".

I had some technical problems in ordering on-line and had to resort to snail mail. But the subsequent service I received was first class and exemplary.

If you want something exotic (like a 'Magic Carpet') upon which to present your close-up magic - this is the article - highly recommended!

Once again my thanks to Donal for passing on the information.

Leslie
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of malaki
Small entry door rugs would work as well and are available at most places such as Home Depot, Lowes, and even WalMart. Look in the home decor area of these stores. The entry door rugs are usually about 1.5'x3'. Plenty of staging area!
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
74 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2009, Donal Chayce wrote:

Thank you for the link. A true scholar and a gentleman.

Eugene Berger would use a small orental rug for his close up mat. I've been looking for one for a long time.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of malaki
A nice selection!
A wee bit pricy, but then, I am cheap.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Persian rug close-up mats (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL