The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » PB AND J TRICK (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex Palombo
View Profile
Regular user
Abington, Pennislyvania
105 Posts

Profile of Alex Palombo
Does anyone have any tips for PB&J for a kid magician.

Click here to view attached image.
Philadelphia SYM Assembly 96 Member
Magicians' Alliance of Eastern States Member
Smile MAGICIAN DIRECTORY member
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
6383 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Alex -

Here's a link to an article that might help you:

-->Online reprint of Bruce Bray's PB...... Column.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
Quote:
On 2009-03-21 13:40, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Hi Alex -

Here's a link to an article that might help you:

-->Online reprint of Bruce Bray's PB...... Column.

- Donald

Dondald!

Thanks for the link! By reading the first paragraph I began notice how much children really do love this type of comedy, I am already working on a few routines that I can change to fit this principale. If you apply it to the right routine you could turn a 2 minute trick into a 10 minute routine that is absolutely hilarious!

Thanks again!
Zach
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
Alex Palombo
View Profile
Regular user
Abington, Pennislyvania
105 Posts

Profile of Alex Palombo
Thanks to all that posted.
Philadelphia SYM Assembly 96 Member
Magicians' Alliance of Eastern States Member
Smile MAGICIAN DIRECTORY member
LMLipman
View Profile
Veteran user
Falls Church, Va.
394 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
I do a version of Dave Risley's PB&J and have a shout-out to my friend Turley the Magician who helped me refine the look-don't-see aspect of the routine.

Dave's version does not use the standard black rubber shells. Instead it uses a hard, paint-can type of cover. I won't expose how it's gimmicked but the gist is that you can lift the cover and show either the peanut butter or the jelly.

One thing I really like about Dave's version is that the peanut butter jar shown is Peter Pan peanut butter. First, this is a real brand, but even better, it gives me a chance to ask the kids if they know anything about Peter Pan. You'll have the kids clamoring to tell you all about Peter Pan. The key thing I want is for one child to mention that Peter Pan can fly.

That gives me the opportunity to say that Peter Pan peanut butter can also fly. I ask if they want to see it visibly or invisibly? No matter what they yell, I always agree to show it to them invisibly. So I do the bit with pretending that the peanut butter has flown from one can to the other and the jelly has done the same. But before I pick up the cans, I have them "fly" back to their original cans and then show that the peanut butter and the jelly are back where they started.

Of course the kids will scream that nothing happened. At this point, I move in front of and to the side of my table, reach over to the can covering the jelly and pick it up while saying, "the peanut butter can't be over here" and they scream that they now see it there. You can keep showing the peanut butter and putting the can back down for quite a while. I like to then say that the kids don't understand the trick and move behind my table and lift off the cans showing the jars in their original positions. Then I show the peanut butter again under the jelly (which I of course still don't see). I'll ask the kids if I pick up the can where the jelly is supposed to be if I'll see peanut butter. The kids say yes, and of course when I pick it up while looking it's just jelly. Finally, I'll show both jars have switched places. By now the kids are exhausted.

I do finish with the sandwich production, but it's really an anti-climax to the switching of the jars. The reason I do it is that it's another opportunity for me to use a child to help me. I show the empty bag,put in two slices of bread, make the switch while grabbing a wand and then say the child is going to turn those two pieces of bread into a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. "And if she does, I think she deserves a huge round of applause." All she does is hold the bag and the wand and say the magic words. But I get a lot of parents taking a photo of their child holding the bag and the wand.

I then take a bite out of the sandwich, just to show it's real while asking for applause for my helper.

This is a killer trick and I now do it in almost every show. The one show I don't do it for is when all of the children are going to be very (3-years-old) young. I find they don't understand the concept that the jars have switched.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
256 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
Thought about the jar-opening bit but never saw the need to prove anything. Bought PB&J when it first came out and have used it regularly ever since. Might be two decades by now. On the Café I saw the suggestion about emptying the jelly jar and painting the inside black, thought it was a great idea, but kept forgetting to do it. Until last month when it was a bit slow, so I opened the jelly jars. Teach me to put off until tomorrow... On the other hand, the paint worked great: weight reduction is super, and the fear about a jar ever dropping is greatly reduced.

Tip: for the bag, I added a piece of cardboard covered in brown paper. Under it goes the sandwich, and on top goes a hat coil (noodles), and various foam leftovers. Emptying out the coil proves the bag empty, and when I put the bread slices in, I flip the cardboard and sandwich to the top, slices underneath.
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Beowulf,

Someone recommended putting black plastic trash bags in mine, so I did. It looks great and there's even some 'texture' inside the jars as a result. Good stuff. Smile
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
I do PB&J all the time and it kills.

The reason it kills has less to do with the props
and everything to do with my reaction.

I am totally oblivious to what's happening and my
reaction gets more and more and more animated and
frustrated as time progresses. By the time the
routine ends, I'm practically begging for the
kids' help in figuring out what's happening.

Of course, they love this.

There's lots of great nuances and bits to go with
this routine, and I'm sure they bring a lot to the
table.

But you can get a whole lot of mileage from this
trick with just personality alone. I suggest you
start by maximizing there.

-J
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » PB AND J TRICK (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.147583 seconds, requiring 36 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [6] [6] [9] [8] [2] [8] [5]