The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Enhancing Your Ability to Work Wonders - by Brad Burt » » Focused Study and What it Offers (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Hello:

Yes, it has been awhile...as I have noted elsewhere I tend to go in huge waves of activity in what some would find an almost Bi-Polar manner. I'm not. Bi-Polar that is.

This is almost a kind of short note. The subject occurred to me as I wrote an reply to another topic.

Here's the basic idea: It was MUCH more common in years past for magician's to put hard and dedicated FOCUS and STUDY on to one source of magical knowledge.

For instance, you would find someone that had learned to do ALL or most all of the material in something like Royal Road to Card Magic or in my case the Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay. In other words you would take a book and totally max out what it had to offer.

In thinking about this I honestly, truly believe that all magicians should attempt to recapture this technique. Select a product you like: The new True Astonishment DVD's by Paul Harris and friends, Royal Road the book or DVD's, Stars of Magic (a great favorite of mine!). Take that one source and really go through each and every item offered. Learn them. Study them, etc. You will probably NOT end up using every item therein, but that's not the point really.

The point is simple: You WILL be a better magician. You WILL have a better overall knowledge of the craft. You WILL use muscles that you didn't know you had and much more. Each item learned will add to the overall skill set you will gain.

The more you learn, the easier it will be to learn more. I'm actually thinking of doing this again.

A book I have loved for years is a little booklet that Harry Lorayne wrote a zillion years ago called Dingle's Deceptions with Cards and Coins. It is HEAVY going stuff, but it's all just wonderful magic. I knew about half of it at one time..... I think that I will take a trip back in time and revisit an old friend. Best,
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Enhancing Your Ability to Work Wonders - by Brad Burt » » Focused Study and What it Offers (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL