The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Xpert (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1105 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Today I spent some time working with Neil Tobin's Xpert. This is REALLY REALLY good... one of THE best items I have seen in a long time.

One of the first effects described in the instruction booklet instantly caught me... imagine having a spectator remove a bunch of change, having a penny initialed with the spectator’s initials and the date noted, CLEANLY put the coin in the spectators hand along with the other change (no switches here), and when they open their hand the initialed coin with the noted date is now bent and can be given away. The method is very SEXY and so cool. It is easy and clean. The one problem I anticipated was not there. When I tried this I just started to laugh and said "brilliant". DO NOT pass this item up! Murphy's just worked out an arrangement with Neil to distribute this so it will be available from your favorite dealer soon. Hocus Pocus had previously worked out through Neil to sell this so they actually have it currently. I am unbelievably impressed with this!

Xpert will undoubtedly spur many many cool ideas.

I rarely get this excited after receiving a new trick. This and the new Tommy Wonder DVDs are my absolute top picks recently (OK the Kohler/Hooser/Ogawa/Robbins Charming Chinese Challenge DVD is fast approaching and will be up there).

Neil had described this to me initially and I thought it was very clever but after getting it, it is FAR FAR beyond my expectations. Do yourself a favor and get this.

Tim Trono
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Quote:
On 2003-05-16 20:35, Tim Trono wrote:
.... The method is very SEXY ........

Smile

Is the CCC DVD going to be at my local dealer Mr. Trono?

Lee
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
I agree this thing is KILLER. I recieved mine a while back and I just recently had some time to go through the manuscript with the utility in hand. I feel bad for guys who do not get this, because I can see nailing them really bad with this.I have combined this with the stars and hexes and a coin. Based on an idea from Larry d here on the Café. It is very versitle as far as usablity. NEIL HAS A WINNER. It is killer for mentalisim also. I can not give this enough praise But trust me it is cool as heck.
Excellent job Neil Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Kamal
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Kamal
One question though, will this work with currencies other than the U.S.?
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2878 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Absolutely any coin will work.

And thank you, Tim and Reed, for such nice comments. I'm glad you like it!
Neil Tobin, Necromancer
Read about my new interactive theatre show, coming this fall to Chicago, NY and L.A.! Http://neardeathx.com
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1105 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Yes, this effect can be used with any coin. The bending coin routine is hidden amongst the 4 main ones taught. It is fabulous. It is also one of those very rare effects where it is so clever methodologically that you will get a certain "joy" performing it.

The signed coin to pocket effect is great also.

This is a utility device that will find many many uses. I believe Neil will eventually be releasing a booklet of additional ideas as I know Ben Harris, Kenton Knepper, etc. have been playing with it already.

I am carrying this around with me all of the time. I did the bending coin 4 times this evening and it destroyed them.

The gimmick is VERY well made and far exceeded my expectations.

Great job Neil!

Tim Trono
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1854 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
I'm going to have to order one
Thanks
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2878 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Thanks for your support, VernonOnCoins!

Incidentally, I thought you might want to know about the attention that another XPERT routine is receiving in the Bizarre section:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#7
Neil Tobin, Necromancer
Read about my new interactive theatre show, coming this fall to Chicago, NY and L.A.! Http://neardeathx.com
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
Can't wait to get mine. I bought it Saturday!
Thanks Neil! Smile
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1105 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Just in the past few days I have played around with some other uses for Xpert. I know I have raved about this... I see LOTS (!!!) of material but it is pretty rare that I see something where I think "I'll USE this". Xpert is something I have been using with GREAT results. I was performing the coin bend for a VERY skeptical group and it KILLED them. It's a funny reaction- like they are almost "scared" as they have NO idea. If you ever see Dean Dill do his "Dean's Box" and watch the reaction this is similar - there is just no place for spectators to go with this, no possible explanation.

Neil teaches 4 effects but hides a few other bonus thoughts/items in the thorough instructions and the bent coin is one of them. Don’t miss it though.

Over the past few days I have described this in phone conversations with some of the biggest names in magic and in describing exactly what this is all have immediately wanted to buy this.

I can't wait to see what others come up with Xpert.

Neil has done a GREAT job with the gimmick and instructions. If it shows I am impressed by this it is because I am! This is one of those things that might be easy to overlook but if you do you will be missing out on one of the best items I've seen in a LONG time.

Tim Trono
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4845 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Mine is in a FedEx airplane with the Tommy Wonder DVD's winging their way to me now!!!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
Thanks,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1105 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Two of the best purchases you could make. Enjoy these.

Tim
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4845 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Thanks Tim,
Actually it was your posts about these two items that clinched it.

Enthusiasm is a drug!!!!

Thanks again for the killer reviews,
James

Quote:
On 2003-05-20 01:46, Tim Trono wrote:
Two of the best purchases you could make. Enjoy these.

Tim
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
524 Posts

Profile of sludge
I just ordered this, and can't wait for it to arrive...
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
I got it! Smile
BUT...
I have not got to play with it yet. Smile
I'll let you know later. Smile
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2878 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
To everybody with current XPERT orders at Hocus Pocus: I just sent a shipment to Hocus Pocus today, so you should be getting your order very shortly.

Enjoy it. And if you have any questions, just drop me a PM or an email and I'll get back to you right away.

Thanks,
Neil
Neil Tobin, Necromancer
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1804 Posts

Profile of Platt
I received mine the other day and immediately had one of those- "why didn't I think of that" moments as I'm sure many others had too. While I like the card effect, it just isn't any better than, say, Red Hot Mama or even that old mark the x behind your back trick. It's not all that easy to use with cards either. This gimmick is really perfect for coins. And Neil has some very nice coin routines. This is going to become a utility item that you'll eventually find in every magic store. And rightly so. Good work, smart thinking, Neil. I hope you're handsomely rewarded.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1105 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Today I used Neil's Out of Body Experience routine... wow! It SCARED them. When the initialed coin appears in the SPECTATOR'S pocket and you are a good distance away I just cannot convey how powerful this is. Xpert is one of my top 10 purchases as of late.

Tim Trono
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
I guess I'll have to buy this just to find
out how a method, any method, could be sexy.

Smile
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I'm about to buy this, is it practical? How are the angles? Can I carry it around with me conveniently?
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1105 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
There are four main effects taught in the booklet and some others mentioned/hidden within (ex. the bent coin I have mentioned a couple of times).

The effects are very practical, angle free, fairly easy to do, etc. I have been carrying around and USING Xpert over the last week. I cannot recommend this highly enough. If I told you the method you'd probably think "cool" and buy it based on what it is but go the next step and TRY this. You will be pleasantly surprised. The gimmick is VERY well made and I believe Neil is hoping to put together a booklet of additional ideas at some point in the future with the gimmick. There is NO WAY anyone can make the gimmick as well as Neil - I was amazed at how well made it is. Neil had described this to me some time ago but it far exceeded my expectations. I see LOTS of new magic but this particular item really stands out.

Your spectators will just not have any path to go to… they will be fooled VERY badly because of this clever device.

Tim Trono
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Thanks, I'm going to order it on Wednesday, hopefully.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16559 Posts

Profile of joseph
There is an effect called Bent Cent by Koenig reviewed here:

http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0206bentcent.html

Are these two effect similar in any way?

Smile Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2878 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Hi Joseph --

I do Bent Cent (from Kenton Knepper's An Enchanted Evening manuscript). It's a very good effect. The XPERT routine is entirely different, because unlike Bent Cent, the bending happens entirely in the participant's hands.

But the bending routine isn't the only reason to get the XPERT. This is truly a utility item (the way a thumbtip is a utility item), and you will find dozens of devious ways to use it. Enough ways to fill another booklet of routines, which I am working on.

Thank you for your interest, Hivemind, Redstreak, and Joseph. And thank you for your reviews, Platt and Tim. It's very rewarding to hear that people are enjoying this!
Neil Tobin, Necromancer
FZandura
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
247 Posts

Profile of FZandura
I'm just getting back into magic as an adult, and was wondering if the Xpert is worthwhile for a beginner, or should I wait? It appears to be an awesome item, I just don't want to buy something that wouldn't be practical, given my skill level.
F. Zandura
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Can it be done with short sleeves?
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2878 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Don't worry, FZandura: the XPERT can help you perform routines at your current skill level. There is no difficult sleight of hand to master; the concept is one of subtlety rather than knuckle busting.

Best of all, the more you learn, the more applications you'll find for this tool -- which is why guys like Ben Harris and Kenton Knepper are so excited about this.

And yes, Redstreak, it can be used with short sleeves. Or no sleeves, for that matter (should your performing persona be a psychic Patrick Swayze).
Neil Tobin, Necromancer
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Great, I was really afraid that it would be done with sleeves. BTW is there a kind of guarantee? Like the SS, don't take it the wrong way, it's just I heard many good reviews about the silver shifter but I didn't like the product very much.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2878 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I guarantee the workmanship of the device. I further guarantee that the routines are well thought out and, if demonstrated by a competent performer, will entertain your audience.

But if you don't like the secret, can you return the device for a full refund? Probably not.

P.S. Congratulations on your 500th post, Redstreak. Cheers! Smile
Neil Tobin, Necromancer
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
Im just wondering About The Out Of Body Experience routines. Was this based at all on Larry Beckers Routine of the same name?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Xpert (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 1.48 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL