The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » To Shine or Not To Shine (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Ohh very nice!
Ian Blundell
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Ian Blundell
I have one of those Canadian Quarters. I am fairly sure that it came in a silver thin box a few years ago with a bunch of post cards and such with it. I can't seem to find mine though Smile .
The coins above look really nice!! I am definatly going to try that on some of my coins.
Ian
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Very gorgeous coins! But I am never going to use sand paper on my coins! My heart stopped for a bit when I read that. hehe My dad had a collection of old Classics Illustrated comics and we learned from a very early age to not touch them and when we did, don't open them totally flat to read them. I have carried this into my adult life and cringe when I see people pick up books of mine and manhandle them.

I do like the black contrast on your coins. Is the sandpaper necessary or could one simply use some good silver polish? This wouldn't degrade the detail. Also, is the bleach harming the coin?
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2009-12-12 14:42, Chris Meece wrote:
Very gorgeous coins! But I am never going to use sand paper on my coins! My heart stopped for a bit when I read that. hehe My dad had a collection of old Classics Illustrated comics and we learned from a very early age to not touch them and when we did, don't open them totally flat to read them. I have carried this into my adult life and cringe when I see people pick up books of mine and manhandle them.

I do like the black contrast on your coins. Is the sandpaper necessary or could one simply use some good silver polish? This wouldn't degrade the detail. Also, is the bleach harming the coin?

If it helps at all, it's very fine sandpaper. If you have a fine coin, I wouldn't use sandpaper... however, if you have soft coins... getting it to look like those pictures would be well worth the scar if you ask me. Hahaha. Smile

The problem with using silver polish instead of the sandpaper is you're rubbing the black off, which defeats the purpose. You could try using something less rought than sandpaper and hope it takes off the black enough. Just a thought, but lithyem is the one to ask.
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Wish there was a way to be emailed of responses to a thread you have posted in. I have several windows open showing ones I have posted.

Thanks for the info. I read in another thread to use a 'polishing' nail file on the coins. I am practicing on a 64 Kennedy half right now. I didn't leave the coin in long enough to get black .. just a dark dull gray. I am headed to Walmart to look at their nail files right now.

I read in another forum about Jax silver blackener. Has anyone tried that?
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2009-05-19 12:01, lithyem wrote:
@Lawrence O - I saved them for web in photoshop then used http://www.imageshack.us to create the thumbnails.

First I washed them with dish soap to get all oils and grease off of the coins. Then I used Clorox Clean-up spray and put a layer of it on a plate, dropped the coins on top then sprayed them too. (Don't wear a black shirt). I flipped them every few hours (seems to speed up the process). In 4-5 hours they should be completely black.

To polish them first I used 400 grit wet dry sandpaper - to get them all to the same rough quality. Then used 1500 grit to smooth everything out. Next I moved onto one of those 4 sided nail file blocks you can find in drug stores. Starting with rough down to slick. By the time you get to the slick side, the high spots on the coins will be as shiny as a mirror and the low spots will be a soft black.

Lastly I wash them again to get the silver dust all off.

Very often when I bring them out I get compliments on them - they really do look beautiful.

I should say that the very mirror-y finish is a problem if you have windows and those who do have window problems may want to stop polishing after a 1 or 2 sides of the nail block.

Anyhow that's how I do it...

ShawnB - good call and very true. I posted a pic of a flipper of mine to show that it can be done but requires a lot more work for sure.

I think I will be using this process to treat some coins I am getting... to a certain extent. I will make sure to post pictures when it's done!
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
I love my coins shiny... been doing it for a long time and never had a problem with specs seeing the coins... if anything, more specs see the coins instead of just the ones near the front... I do however leave the copper coins alone for a bigger contrast... I think if the magic is good, the condition of the props is irrelevant...
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
If you wish to use Lithyem's "aging process", try using finger nail files and start using only the smaller grain side (the rougher side, even though it's small grain, would leave marks). Then buy the soft polishing nail ones with four colors and use them to polish the coins as you would for your nail. This polishing will not make them look as if they had been soften by a machine (not perfectly flat) but as if they have been circulating for a long time.

Lay people have rarely seen old silver coins and they are curious about them because they imagine that they are worth even more than they actually are. The aging process allows to give spectators the feeling that the coins are older than they actually are even when they know the date. People love the idea to have been able even just to touch one of these.

I respect Iamslow's preference but respectfully disagree with his statement "if the magic is good, the condition of the props is irrelevant". This seems to me to be a sophism. If the condition of the props was irrelevant, why would we (him included) feel the need to use ancient coins? Why do several gifted craftsmen make a living gaffing old ones for us (soft or mint, shiny or dull)?
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2009-12-22 05:47, Lawrence O wrote:
If you wish to use Lithyem's "aging process", try using finger nail files and start using only the smaller grain side (the rougher side, even though it's small grain, would leave marks). Then buy the soft polishing nail ones with four colors and use them to polish the coins as you would for your nail. This polishing will not make them look as if they had been soften by a machine (not perfectly flat) but as if they have been circulating for a long time.

Lay people have rarely seen old silver coins and they are curious about them because they imagine that they are worth even more than they actually are. The aging process allows to give spectators the feeling that the coins are older than they actually are even when they know the date. People love the idea to have been able even just to touch one of these.

Thanks Lawrence O. I'm actually going to walk around with these in my pocket for a while to let them kind of roughen each other up. That should give them the dings and marks that normal coins have. Then I will switch to the nail files. Thanks for the tip.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Biggest problem with all this right now is.... getting your hands on some Morgans in any condition! I have a grand total of three - all from Ebay - and one I am 99% certain is a fake; doesn't feel like the same weight and it just sounds too far off. And that was from a "Top Rated" seller with several thousand feedbacks at 100%.

But I digress: my point is that it's tough presently to get Morgans, and if you do find them it costs anywhere from $25 to $40 or $50 USD, and that is for UNC. non-rated coins, almost "junk" silver condition.

So for now I am sticking with Eisenhowers for dollars, and Walkers for my halves. With only two real and one apparent fake Morgans there aren't many effects worth pulling these out and shining up to do!

Jim
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Quote:
Thanks Lawrence O. I'm actually going to walk around with these in my pocket for a while to let them kind of roughen each other up. That should give them the dings and marks that normal coins have. Then I will switch to the nail files. Thanks for the tip.

You can also try throwing your coins in a sock and tie a knot at the end and throw it in the wash when you do laundry... it might speed up the process a tiny bit... hope this helps.
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2009-12-23 00:41, J-Mac wrote:
Biggest problem with all this right now is.... getting your hands on some Morgans in any condition! I have a grand total of three - all from Ebay - and one I am 99% certain is a fake; doesn't feel like the same weight and it just sounds too far off. And that was from a "Top Rated" seller with several thousand feedbacks at 100%.

But I digress: my point is that it's tough presently to get Morgans, and if you do find them it costs anywhere from $25 to $40 or $50 USD, and that is for UNC. non-rated coins, almost "junk" silver condition.

So for now I am sticking with Eisenhowers for dollars, and Walkers for my halves. With only two real and one apparent fake Morgans there aren't many effects worth pulling these out and shining up to do!

Jim

I've not found this to be the case. I've found many Morgans to be less than $25 a piece on eBay. In fact, goldeneaglecoins.com is a great place to look, as they have many in different conditions and prices. I highly suggest checking that out. You just need to find the right years (the cheaper ones). Hope this helps.

Quote:
On 2009-12-23 00:49, iamslow wrote:
YOu can also try throwing your coins in a sock and tie a knot at the end and throw it in the wash when you do laundry... it might speed up the process a tiny bit.. hope this helps..

Quite an idea. I think I may try that. My only concern would be roughing them up TOO much, but still a great idea. Thanks for that. I will be sure to post my results and what I ended up doing.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
You would have to do a LOT of loads to make it too rough... remember, its coins we're talking about here..
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2009-12-23 01:52, iamslow wrote:
You would have to do a LOT of loads to make it too rough... remember, its coins we're talking about here..

It's also silver, which is easily dented and marked. You drop that coin on the cement, you make a permanent mark.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
If you use a nail file after bleaching them, you'll make them look old enough and your filing cannot be even, no matter how hard you'd try. Thus I don't think that the pocket aging or sock aging process is necessary. If you really want, you could give just one or two passing of the rougher side of a finger nail file, pressing hard. It will leave traces that you will have a hard time making them disappear even with the polishing process that I suggested. Now when using them for practice, our coins gain these dents anyways whether we like it or not.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2009-12-23 13:35, Lawrence O wrote:
If you use a nail file after bleaching them, you'll make them look old enough and your filing cannot be even, no matter how hard you'd try. Thus I don't think that the pocket aging or sock aging process is necessary. If you really want, you could give just one or two passing of the rougher side of a finger nail file, pressing hard. It will leave traces that you will have a hard time making them disappear even with the polishing process that I suggested. Now when using them for practice, our coins gain these dents anyways whether we like it or not.

Yes, and I agree for the most part. There really is no way, besides purchasing actual soft coins, to completely replicate soft coins. One of the things soft coins have are those deep dents and scratches on the face of the coin that I was hoping to replicate. A nail file wouldn't really do that. Then again, you're right... it may not be necessary in the first place. Thanks. Smile

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 1:18pm
-------------------------------
I finally received my set. I won't need to run them through the wash or anything. I won't even need to use sand paper. They're already pretty nice. I will be taking a 4-side nail buffer/file to them though to clean them up and soften them a bit more though. Otherwise, they are great coins and I'm extremely pleased. I'll show you guys before and after pictures later on. Smile
BaoHoang
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal, Canada
140 Posts

Profile of BaoHoang
Quote:
On 2009-05-20 18:22, magicalaurie wrote:
Here's a closer look.
You can see the camera lens reflected in the centre of the coin, best I can do right now. Smile

Whoa :O I remember a man from the army that came to my school gave it to me with a big aluminum case when I was in first grade at the last day of school but somebody stole it from me Smile After that I was crying when I opened up the empty case Smile

Hehe thanks for sharing the pic Smile
Montreal Magician Bao
www.baomagic.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Getting back to the OP question...for all the Rothian wannabes, David likes shiny coins.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
I'm too afraid to do anything to my Morgans, don't want to decrease their values. Smile And besides, I only have 3 at the moment, can't do anything with that.
AdamB
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of AdamB
Quote:
On 2009-05-19 13:05, LF wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-19 12:01, lithyem wrote:
@Lawrence O - I saved them for web in photoshop then used http://www.imageshack.us to create the thumbnails.

First I washed them with dish soap to get all oils and grease off of the coins.

What a beauty.These are the best looking coins I have ever seen,they are really are pleasure to look at.

Thanks so much for tipping the way you get them that way.

LF.

Agreed! Thank you so much.

My one piece to add to this discussion is that Bobo mentions shinier coins probably being better for retention vanishes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » To Shine or Not To Shine (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL