The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Strange Traveler / Princess Card / Limited Edition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
154 Posts

Profile of jnork
Hello All,

When doing any of the above tricks for spectators when there are a group of them what are your best suggustions to endsure that only 1 person thinks of a card ... as you know it looks fishy if 3 people 'mentally select' a card and you cause all 3 to vanish.

Any suggestions?

I try to get to the far end of a group that only allows one person to see the spread but at times that can appear a bit like one is trying to hide something.

Jason Christopher
Yours in Magic!
Jason
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Try this: ask one person to think of a card and all the others trying to figure out which card he mentally selected. When the designated person tells what card he/she mentally selected ask the audience to raise their hand if they mentally figured out another card. Use this as a proof that the effect you are about to produce cannot be done by chance (also use this as a misdirection for palming a card if you have to for spectators will look at each other to see who did and how many).

This creates audience involvement (which is the mark of most audience preferred effects), underlines the impossibility, offers showmanship opportunities, and supplies misdirection.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
154 Posts

Profile of jnork
Lawrence, thanks, this may be a good out but I still think people will also look and see that the card they thought the specator was thinking of has also vanished...

Jason
Yours in Magic!
Jason
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
This is an inherent problam, but is overcome with the suggestions from Lawrence and by trying to let just one spcetator see the card. Just say that you only want one person to see the cards as you have that person think of one. This does fly as you can say that you don't want people to think it's a set up with a stooge.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” -Doug Henning

"Don't make magic impossible, make impossible magic!" - Adam

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
154 Posts

Profile of jnork
Thanks for the suggestion... it's just really difficult, I feel, to STOP others from thinking of a card as well. .... I've altered my presentation a bit to have the person to the far right or left think of a card .... using them and I as a shield so to speak for the other audience members .. .Thanks!

Jason
Yours in Magic!
Jason
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2102 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Hey guys, do we really have to arrange the cards based on the booklet or we can actually just put them in any order we want?

I was thinking the possibility of psychological effect to have such arrangement, or perhaps it will make the spectator "forget" what they was from the beginning from the trick?

I mean, if we put, let's say KH on the top of a face up pile, they might figure the method out. Or won't they?

Thanks.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13430 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-04-24 04:55, Lawrence O wrote:
Try this: ask one person to think of a card and all the others trying to figure out which card he mentally selected. When the designated person tells what card he/she mentally selected ask the audience to raise their hand if they mentally figured out another card. Use this as a proof that the effect you are about to produce cannot be done by chance (also use this as a misdirection for palming a card if you have to for spectators will look at each other to see who did and how many).

This creates audience involvement (which is the mark of most audience preferred effects), underlines the impossibility, offers showmanship opportunities, and supplies misdirection.

Beautiful thinking!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Strange Traveler / Princess Card / Limited Edition (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL