The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Platt’s Back - "Blackout!” (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
V.I.P. ;)
6322 Posts

Profile of Mb217
This is the only thing of its kind (gaffus-emeritus) that I carry with me daily.

It is so easy to do on a moments notice and so completely amazing that it should really be up for a "Creativity Award" of some sort.

Platt is a great thinker in magic and his Blackout is tremendous proof of that. Clearly all the interest in this thing continues to speak most highly of it, even from some of the most high here.

Well, from down here below a bit, I continue to recommend this without the slightest reservation...It's just that good and even better than that. Smile -Mb
*Check out my latest FlySki , Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
Illusion & Beyond
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Illusion & Beyond
I had see this a while back but never gave it a second look. Well I finally looked back and took the plungeand am I glad I did!! This will make so many more possibilities for so many routines. When I opened the package I was so pleasently suprised with the workings. Thanks for the great thought put into this Platt.
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
Blackout is truly an amazing affus-gaffus. Extremely well made - to fool. The possibilities are endless but even if I use it for just a simple coin vanish I always get a jaw dropping response. Another great job Brian!
Rediscover a lost art.
www.jadoosmagic.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
25998 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Simple thing to try today:

Take your blackout and hold it between your thumb and second finger. On the way to your other hand use your third finger to aim the blackout. Pretend a placement and move your other hand away. If you have props in hand... look in the mirror as you do this procedure. Now take a step back from your audience when you use it Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1748 Posts

Profile of Platt
Gary, MB, I&B,

Thank you for the kind comments and your continued support of Blackout. Look out for something new on the way very soon.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1073 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hi
I agree with all of the positive review's of blackout. I'd just like to add one thing. Platt came up with more idea's, that he didn't include in the dvd, that came with the blackout coin. Instead of charging the buyer for this new information, he gives it away for free at his web site!
You can tell that this coin is a labor of love. Very high quality and well worth the price.
hth
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
Quote:
On 2009-12-28 22:09, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
I think this is a wonderful concept. I've had mine for a while now, but have been too busy to fully flesh it out, but already I can see HUGE potential for this--MUCH better than similar items using the principle that have been marketed in the past, especially as regards the included "station."

I'm working on putting together a routine combining Blackout with the TUC. I think this combo has enormous potential.

Platt, well done!

I have the TUC half dollar, was thinking about getting the Blackout in the near future. Should they be the same coin or a blackout quarter will be more effective?
Kelvin Ng
View Profile
New user
Vancouver BC
66 Posts

Profile of Kelvin Ng
Looks great!

I think I will pick one up!
"We tend to think that magic is all about us, what we do, and how we execute the tricks, when in actuality, it's really about what the spectator witnesses, imagines, and remembers in their minds."

- Wayne Houchin
Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
I just ordered one. =]
dooblehorn
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburg, CA
607 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I just got mine this weekend, it's awesome!
I got the quarter, because, I feel for impromptu magic it is the
least suspicious, but that is just my opinion
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
3795 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I just ordered a Walking Liberty Blackout. After reading through this thread now I am waiting eagerly!

Thanks!

Jim
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
25998 Posts

I wore a sweater to NEMCOM and showed a few uses of blackout to some folks there.

Come on folks - at least try Roth's Hanging Coins Smile
scarylarry
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of scarylarry
I met Brian in person and he demonstrated amazing skill with Blackout, I was amazed and had to buy it. I had to admit to myself later that, while one of the most amazing ways to vanish a coin...I am focusing on other areas. I have a US quarter that was only opened and checked out (never used or performed with it) If anyone is interested, PM me. I am letting it go at a significant discount. Comes with everything you need + DVD

Cheers

~L
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1768 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2010-04-17 20:02, scarylarry wrote:
I met Brian in person and he demonstrated amazing skill with Blackout, I was amazed and had to buy it. I had to admit to myself later that, while one of the most amazing ways to vanish a coin...I am focusing on other areas. I have a US quarter that was only opened and checked out (never used or performed with it) If anyone is interested, PM me. I am letting it go at a significant discount. Comes with everything you need + DVD

Cheers
~L

Larry, welome to the Café. I must admit that your name and Avitar are pretty cool!

Maybe I could do something like "Scammy Sammy"!

Cheers!
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
When the Docs give your wife 18 months to live and it has been 10 years, that is a miracle!
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
3721 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea-Yea Sounds good to me! Smile
tophead
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of tophead
This is a utility coin for the magician who likes to create their own effects and improve others. Its done wonders for a couple existing effects and given me tons of ideas for new ones... my only problem with BO is the temptation to overuse it! I don't like using a principle more than once, maybe twice for the same set but this thing could rule an entire set and each time be used slightly differently. Awesome!
MLDupree
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of MLDupree
I recently pick up Blackout and I'm impressed. Great work I can't wait to start using it.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I've had the Canadian Quarter version for a while. Blackout is a great utility. My only complaint is that I had to increase the power of mine, but that could simply be attributed to my t-shirts being a little on the thicker side. The coin itself is masterly crafted, but can be fairly easily damaged if you don't treat it with care. Greg Wilson's 3/4 Across from On The Spot is still my favorite ungimmicked coins across routine and I like to end it by making each of the 3 coins vanish. The Blackout finger snap vanish is how I make the last coin vanish. The build up to that point is so strong and the specs are burning my hands sooo hard that when I finish with the Blackout vanish it totally fries them. Lol.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
3795 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
CasualSoul: So you do a Coins Across with quarters? (Not sure, are Canadian quarters the same size roughly as US quarters?)

I ask because though I have a few gaff coins in US quarter size, I have never performed with them. I practice with half dollars and whenever I pick up quarters they feel extremely tiny and I worry about them being too small for spectators to see well enough.

How's it work for you?

Thank you.

Jim
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1831 Posts

Profile of gaffed
I'm a tad confused as to the huge price difference when ordering straight from Brian's site and from Penguin Magic. The Blackout U.S. Half Dollar on Brian's site is $59.00 as opposed to the price of $44.25 at Penguin. Is the higher price from Brian's site simply because you can then join in on the "Tips & Tricks" discussion?
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
2401 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Received my Morgan blackout a couple of days ago and I gotta say, this is an amazing tool. The quality of the coin is exceptional and Brian goes over all the r and d that went into making it on a section of the DVD. A lot of thought and research went into this gaff. It really doses look like real magic when you see brians handling. I like the way he teaches too. A very laid back and charming style he has. Best of all is that most of my shirts and tops are already black!
Does anyone have a routine with the margins worked out?
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1748 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On 2010-06-24 13:42, gaffed wrote:
I'm a tad confused as to the huge price difference when ordering straight from Brian's site and from Penguin Magic. The Blackout U.S. Half Dollar on Brian's site is $59.00 as opposed to the price of $44.25 at Penguin. Is the higher price from Brian's site simply because you can then join in on the "Tips & Tricks" discussion?

The retail price is $59 for the half. $55 for the quarter. Penguin, as usual, goes way under retail. They're welcome to price it at whatever level they'd like. So I don't fault them for that but I'm certainly not going to go into a pricing war with them on my own item. It's one reason we sell the silver coins exclusively from our site.

Sean, I'm glad you're enjoying the Morgan.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-06-24 16:31, Platt wrote:

The retail price is $59 for the half. $55 for the quarter. Penguin, as usual, goes way under retail. They're welcome to price it at whatever level they'd like. So I don't fault them for that but I'm certainly not going to go into a pricing war with them on my own item. It's one reason we sell the silver coins exclusively from our site.

Sorry Brian, I wasn't in any way trying to suggest that your price was too high, or that you should be competing with whoever the dealer might be. I just thought that perhaps your price might possibly reflect the right, and or permission to join in on the “Tips & Tricks” discussion on your site.

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 5:41pm
Just ordered the Half Dollar one. If it works out well perhaps I'll then order a Quarter Coin. Of course, now that it's summer I hardly, if ever, wear black considering the heat albeit black is my favorite color for shirts and other various apparel.
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Quote:
On 2010-06-23 14:15, J-Mac wrote:
CasualSoul: So you do a Coins Across with quarters? (Not sure, are Canadian quarters the same size roughly as US quarters?)

I ask because though I have a few gaff coins in US quarter size, I have never performed with them. I practice with half dollars and whenever I pick up quarters they feel extremely tiny and I worry about them being too small for spectators to see well enough.

How's it work for you?

Thank you.

Jim

Yeah, our quarters are the same size, but no, I don't really have any issue with the size of the coins. I never perform this effect for more than 4-5 people at a time though.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
3795 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Thanks CasualSoul. Yeah, I'm sure you are correct. I think they just feel too small because of all my practice time being done with half dollars.

Thanks again!

Jim
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
25998 Posts

There are not many coin gaffs I suggest folks explore - this is one of them.

If you have the curiosity and $$ - ask for an [ blackout.
Think of what that means when you ask a peer for a coin then stuff happens.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
3795 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Jonathon,

Does that exist currently? Or are you suggesting that someone request it to be made?

Thank you.

Jim
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Just received my Blackout Kennedy Half Dollar and all I can say is wow!
Although I could easily surmise what the coin was before I ordered it, I can now easily see just how much work went into making this special coin and trying to make one yourself would be pure folly. I haven’t played around with it too much as of yet, but I’m looking forward to doing so when time allows.

If after some needed practice with it, and it works out smoothly, I might very well also purchase a Quarter Blackout. Great work Brian on bringing an ancient magic principal to the present time, and something that is easily usable in a very close up situation.
~Yogi Berra~

Hare
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Hare
Figure a custom Morgan Blackout might be possible?
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-06-29 17:54, Hare wrote:
Figure a custom Morgan Blackout might be possible?

http://shop.plattmagic.com/product.sc;js......goryId=1
~Yogi Berra~

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Platt’s Back - "Blackout!” (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.192537 seconds, requiring 102 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [2] [0] [9] [2] [7] [2] [2] [0]