The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Platt’s Back - "Blackout!” (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Hi Harris, good to speak at you again. I agree with you. I actually try to be a "Purist" most often, but there are just times, I feel, when you have to go with the flow.

"Some", key word "Some", of what really amazes me with "Blackout" is its ease of use and how you can do your dirty work right in your spectator's face and still not be detected. I set it up where it works most natural with me personally and then I can perform miracles. In just my intial first 3 hours of practice I got real comfortable with its use and began to see some of its far reaching potentials. Hence, is why my second order has already been placed and is on the way as I speak.

However, I think people will soon realize that the "Real Power" in "Blackout" is going to be with "multiple" units and stations! I think with multiple units and stations you will be able to command unheard of displays of coin mastery only limited by the performers imagination, and I am going to be one of the first in line to give it a try in that arena.

I found it works well with other accessories such as Jumbo coins and and a purse frame I am using along with it. Also, with very little effort and imagination I have already figured out how to clean up after a performance and how to allow spectators to inspect everything afterwards.

In the meantime Harris, just to make you happy, I just finished mastering about a week ago, or at least mastering well enough to perform, a beautiful coins across routine using the pop-up move by Al Schneider. I guess I will always be striving to perfect it, but it is performance ready anyway. A "Purist" routine of real beauty, when done properly! I have just noticed Al is real, real cool guy.
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Platt,

Sent you a PM

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Peo,

I responded to your PM, but I I'll post it publicly here.

All international shipping is $3 (first class mail).

Domestic shipping is about $1.50 (first class mail)
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'm still puzzling over just how natural and invisible it can be to have stations in useful places so units can quietly come to rest or be obtained as needs be.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On 2009-05-04 16:13, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
I'm still puzzling over just how natural and invisible it can be to have stations in useful places so units can quietly come to rest or be obtained as needs be.

Hi Jonathan, if I understand what you're puzzling over correctly, Blackout! is designed to be totally silent. You won't hear a thing. As for invisibility, again, it's been designed in such a way that it's virtually imperceptible. With certain articles of clothing even I can be staring right at it (so I think) and see absolutely nothing!

A quick note to Harris (i've sent you a PM as well):

Harris, your post was very friendly, so please see this as an attempt to enlighten you a bit more about my product rather than an attack. Yes, what's old is new, but after getting this in front of a lot of big names and BA enthusiasts, I understand this to be in fact something very new. I'm going to be a bit more explicit than I'd like to be, but I'd like to make a few things totally clear. Blackout! is designed for close up performance. That includes all lighting situaltions and performing right under people's noses. You can openly show a coin in your palm without any detection of anything odd and when vanished see not even a trace of silver. After nearly a year of trial and error, I can tell you that this felt like an impossibility. What we learned is that with BA, the above conditions are literally not possible with an edge. So after nearly a year of experimentation, we effectively "removed" the edge. Yes, Blackout! is a coin with no edge that appears completely normal in the hands and completely invisible upon the vanish- with any black apparel.

With Headlights on,

Brian Platt
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Brian,I'm sold, my order is in for the quarter version. I will want a peace dollar down the road too. ; )
Tony Chapparo
kardillusions
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, AB
544 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
Just for my own curiosity,

I wonder if Eric James of MELT fame gets any credit on the DVD for his HORRIBLE take on coins prepped in this manner on his VHS tape COIN MATRIX 2003?

That would make my day.

Scott.
www.hermitmagic.com
Hermit Magic Magazine
Instagram: @hermitmagicmag
Subscribe today!
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Quote:
On 2009-05-03 19:18, Platt wrote:
Hey CasualSoul, I just reached out to Roy about it. I have some concerns with a few of the Canadian coins but I think it should be possible. Obviously Roy (residing in Ontario) will be happy to make them if it's possible without making any sacrifices in quality. Let me know what would be your ideal Canadian coin, and I'll let you know what we can do. Thanks.

A twoonie would be my first choice, but having a loonie or quarter version as well would be great.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Well, I just finished my "first" performance using my new "Blackout" equipment in front of some of my good and "critical" friends. I perform for them often and I always get their feedback for making any specific adjustments I may need before performing before the general public. I executed a coins across, a coin switch (half dollar to silver dollar) with a mid flight coin vanish. I started with hands empty and ended the same way. I used two coins and two stations, all "Blackout" gear. I was a bit nervous, because I was only between 2 and 3 feet away in good lighting and was a bit worried about being exposed, afterall I never used the equipmet before, except in practice.

I was a bit "upset" with the feedback I received. Like I said earlier I have performed before these people many times before doing some very difficult routines, such as "CoinOne" by Homer Liwag, "C/S/B Assault" by Dan Watkins, "Hanging Coins" by David Roth, "MB Transpo" by Marion Boykin. Too many to mention actually. All performed quite well, at least without a hitch and with favorable feedback from them. Now, I perform a "very simple" routine, simple with the "Blackout" gear anyway and they say its the best I ever done!!!!!

I put together a "simple" routine of a coins across, coin switch and vanish and they told me it was the "BEST" they "EVER" seen me do! I looked at them and it was as though they were in shock!!! I even told them, you have to be kidding, I have performed much more difficult routines in the past! They said, so.

Anyway, I talked to them some more to find out why the great reaction. It turns out it was, because of the way I brought the coins out of nowhere, which is a cake walk if you position your stations properly and also, because of the mid-flight vanish which left me totally clean and evidently with my spectators completely blown away! The mid-flight smack vanish, as I call it is accomplished by starting with the coin in your hand "purposely" being exposed at your side with your hand near your pocket and "very quickly" bringing the coin up to eye level and smacking the coin hand with the other hand vanishing the coin in an instant leaving both your hands wide open, empty and totally clean shone front and back. Easily accomplished when you get used to using your stations at lightening speed, which just happened to come naturally for me.

NO, they did "NOT" see a thing although my coins were right in their face the "WHOLE" time, which was what I was most concerned with. I was concerned, because I was in, what I would call, the worst possible conditions - very close - very good lighting! "Blackout" passed the test with flying colors!!!

Mr Townsend, I understand the way you feel, I felt "exactly" the same way to be honest! I will tell you why "I" think it works so good, as it was proved to me today. When a spectator sees a coin vanished or in the process of being vanished it is instinct I think to try to figure out where it is, so you look for it. What you are looking for is the glint, flash or exposure of the coin somewhere where it isn't suppose to be. With "Blackout" that is your "FIRST" mistake, because if you are looking for the coin in question, you are looking for the "WRONG THING" to begin with!!! You actually should be looking for "SOMETHING ELSE", I can't tell you what that "SOMETHING ELSE" is for fear of exposing the secrets of "Blackout", but that "SOMETHING ELSE" can be in your face and you will never even know it!!! You won't know it, because what you do see is not what you are looking for. Simple as that!

Today I found out how well "Blackout" works, but not only that, I found out how the spectators react to it, even when used for a simple routine. It seems as though their minds can't fathom its operation. Personally, I first read their faces improperly. I always look at my spectators faces! The look they gave me made me feel as though they caught me actually, but in reality it was the look of utter disbelief!

I love "Blackout" Mr. Platt, your idea is genius! Thank you....
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Great rundown here fingers...Smile

As you say, it's really in the eyes of the beholder no matter what we think as magicians. It's best to watch the spec's responses as to what "they believe" is happening, not necessarily what you believe as to how they should receive/appreciate the communication. I know sometimes you want to shake them and say "NO!, appreciate it THIS way!" Smile Smile Smile

I learned this a long time ago from Mickey Silver, who used to actually tape his audiences so that he could take a look later to see just where their attention went as he did certain moves. Obviously the rest is history as to that guy. Smile But his points about it still resonate in me and clearly you see them too.

I remember once I did a set of nice coin effects when I was into doing other's stuff a lot earlier on, some Roth, Justin Miller, Ammar, etc. And when I finished they were amazed but not as much as they were by the "one" card trick I did then, "NFW." Smile They said that was the best thing I did...HUH???? Why? They said later that it was completely impossible but they saw it happen with their own eyes (so the belief factor was boiling for them) and that's all that mattered. Like you, who was I to argue. Smile I take the same bow whether I whistle a good tune that makes someone smile or do a good job cutting my grass and some passer-by notices. Smile

Platt's "Blackout!" is pretty slick to me and takes psychological advantage of a lot of aspects in the spec's attention span...Basically, they have no chance. Smile Lot's of good thinking went into this project and product. Like you, folks just have to try it and use it to see for themselves or "not see" as it were. Smile I play a bit with it everyday since getting it and it's like taking candy from a baby...in the dark. Smile What a wonderful piece of magic from a wonderful guy at that. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Quote:
I was a bit "upset" with the feedback I received. Like I said earlier I have performed before these people many times before doing some very difficult routines, such as "CoinOne" by Homer Liwag, "C/S/B Assault" by Dan Watkins, "Hanging Coins" by David Roth, "MB Transpo" by Marion Boykin. Too many to mention actually. All performed quite well, at least without a hitch and with favorable feedback from them. Now, I perform a "very simple" routine, simple with the "Blackout" gear anyway and they say its the best I ever done!!!!!
Fingers~

Mr. Platt,
I just placed my order for the '64 Kennedy Half.....can hardly wait to get my mitts on this thing! Sorry that it took this long to place my order! Smile

Fingers,
I can only hope that I feel the same way after working on the effect and having an opportunity to perform for it for my test audience (my biggest fan and supporter..my GF)
Btw, I happen to love HL's "CoinOne".

Sigh....I love the anticipation of waiting for a package to hit my mailbox...

One more thing, as I was writing this message, I received an email from Platt notifying me that my package was ready to ship out. Gotta love that type of customer service...fast, fast...fast!
Respectfully,
Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Hi Brian and Fingers...

3 or 4 of these would do wonders for a matrix, or maybe shadow coins..can't say much for the latter as it is not in my working programs.

This could be for some wonderful Eye Candy.

Magic like that is a universal language.

Thanks for providing some powerful words.

Harris

your friendly neighborhood laughologist
still 2 old to know everything....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Do I have to go back to wearing all black?
My wife won't be happy about that.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
You know what I am talking about MB. When I perform I am always looking at my audience, one to make sure they are seeing what I want them to see and two, to try to interpret how effective I am during my performance. I feel its your job to lead the spectators through your routine, especially if you are including them in your routine, which is always a good thing. I also try to always quiz my audience after a performance to get their feedback, which I think is priceless for future performances.

Audience feedback is very helpful I have found out. They are not always thinking what you think they are thinking such as what I stated earlier about my first "Blackout" performance. You find out that some of the little things you do may have a very big impact on your audience and knowing that fact you can structure future performances to enhance those effects and play down others or eliminate them altogether, which may not be so impressive.

I am sure you will be happy with your purchase Rochaz. However, my only regret being I was sorry I didn't purchase more units. The more units you have the greater the versatility you have. You will see that immediately.

I already placed and received my second order and probably will have a third order in the works soon. All you need is one unit, but the possiblities of multiple units are limitless with far reaching capabilities you can not achieve with anything else out there as far as I am concerned! I intend on taking full advantage of that fact!

Mitch you don't need to wear "all" black, but some is necessary.....

One thing I failed to mention was the service, which was superb! Mr Platt even threw a few extra goodies in for me when I explained to him my intentions with no extra charge. The service was above and beyond as is the product. You can't ask for more than that.....

Thanks again for everything Mr. Platt.....Now I need to go clothing shopping, I hear "Black" is in baby.....
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Fingers:

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback. Well done! That's outstanding. Credit yourself too. The gimmick only does part of the work!

Casual Soul:

I think a Loonie will work best. Contact me about prices.

MB:

As always, thanks for the positive vibe! Your support means a lot to me.
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Fingers,
Thanks for the info....
I will have to play around with the BA to truly get an understanding of what the "possibilities" are.
I am looking forward to it very much!

MB,
Thanks for your input! I always enjoy your posts....

Platt,
Has anybody ever told you that you bear a slight resemblance to the comedian Don Irrera?
I mean that in a good way! Smile

Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Am I assuming right that you should really have 2 or more gimmicks to perform some of the routines some magicians are talking about?

thanks
Don
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On 2009-05-06 20:06, magicman1 wrote:
Am I assuming right that you should really have 2 or more gimmicks to perform some of the routines some magicians are talking about?

thanks
Don

I find one gimmick goes a long long way. Only one of the many effects I perform on the dvd incorporates 2 gimmicks.

Dom Irrera.... Here was my reaction, stage by stage:

1. Who's Dom Irrera?
2. Oh wait, is he that one comedian? No it can't be him.
3. Youtube search.
4. Yes, it is him.
5. I don't look like him. I look like Russell Crowe and Kevin Spacey.
6. ***, I do look like Dom Irrera.
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Platt,

Russell Crowe was a close second!!
Besides Crowe NEVER appeared on Seinfeld!!!

Maybe I should've waited till you mailed out my package before I made such comparisons? ;-)

Rochaz
:)
Whit Hayden

Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Your very welcome Mr. Platt. I did put in several hours of practice. You do have to do your homework with "Blackout", but the payback for your work is huge!

Trust me Rochaz it won't take you long to figure out the possibilities.....

I hate to call them gimmicks Don, I don't know it sounds so cheap. To me they are much more than that, a gimmick I mean. I would rather call them units, but anyway, one is all that is necessary. Like Mr. Platt says one goes a long, long way. However, I have found you can greatly enhance and compound the effects and capabilities as you add units. I own 3 myself right now and have already decided to get at least 2 more in the near future.....

I don't know how many of you guys still work with silks, but I was going over my practice list, which contains coin and silk work I learned from David Roth. Oh man, oh man, oh man, oh man.....I am just realizing some fantastic prospects in using "Blackout" in conjunction with my silk work. Used hand-in-hand "Blackout" and silks could be a killer duo, what a perfect combination! I will definitely be studying on that some more.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Platt’s Back - "Blackout!” (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL