The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » What I seek in a Dealer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Internet "shops" are surfacing like worms after a spring rain. Some are good, but none can even come CLOSE to a brick and mortar shop. The knowledgeable brick and mortar dealer tends to be or have been a working pro. He will work WITH you on the effect you have bought. He will suggest alternatives to a handling in a book that is vexing you. What's more, the opportunity for further EDUCATION in a brick and mortar shop is priceless.

When you find the right handful of dealers, you have attained magic nirvana. I have found this in the following:

Denny and Lee in Baltimore and Las Vegas
IllusionsMagic in Cleveland
The Cuckoos Nest in Pittsburgh
Magic, Inc. in Chicago
Viking Magic in Texas
John Blake's East Coast Magic in State College, PA (John is now strictly internet, but he maintains the attitude of the brick and mortar dealer)

Having said this, there ARE a few online dealers that in my opinion are excellent.

Hermetic Press
H&R Magic Books
L&L Publishing
Leaping Lizards
Martin Breese International
Kaufman and Company
The Magic Depot, Texas (online AND brick and mortar. Aaron Smith is all about customer support)

Best,
Vlad
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Great list Vlad!
I agree with you here on all of them... Smile one I'd like to add is Fantasma Magic in New York City. David Roth works there.

Thanks,
Sam

P.S. Note the Denny Haney quote in my signature. Smile
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
Quote:
On 2009-07-22 17:25, Sam Weiss wrote:
Great list Vlad!
I agree with you here on all of them... Smile one I'd like to add is Fantasma Magic in New York City. David Roth works there.

Thanks,
Sam

P.S. Note the Denny Haney quote in my signature. Smile

I have to agree with fantasma. I met david roth on a sunday in july and he was really helpful to me. He even took the time to chat with me for about 20min since I was the only one in the shop. He told me stories about Dai Vernon, Ricky Jay, all the card workers he met and got to know. He performed a quick coin trick for me. Made me feel really welcomed there. He treated me like a fellow magician not a customer.

So he asked my skill level in card magic. He showed me Revolutionary Card Technique by Marlo. He opened the book and went over a few pages with me and even preformed a trick out of the book. I don't know any magic shop that will let you look in the book and read a few pages.

The only thing about Fantasma is they are a little pricey. I spent an extra $10 for the book compared to tannens and a little more expensive for other items as well but it was worth it because the customer service is great. The other guy Magic is cool too. They even let kids hang out in the shop even if they are not buying nething.
aechecop
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of aechecop
- To show only items they have in stock and maintain their web sites up to date in that regard (real time inventory control).
- To have a great variety of items and to carry the latest and the oldies.
- To show respect to the customer by responding to calls and or emails in a promptly fashion.
- Be competitive with pricing.
- Be honest with descriptions (don't have to expose)
- Prompt and adequately priced shipping.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » What I seek in a Dealer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL