The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Clearly impossible (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Look what I found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearly_Impossible
Not sure who put it up there but it is full of mistakes!
like when they mention some of notable performances of the impossible sawing on tv, most of these are wrong and the youtube clip of Martin looks like a rip-off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUVn4HtiW1U
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"So, lets say I take Losander's Floating Table. Change the method of concealment make some modifications to the table, am I allowed to say it is my floating table?"

maybe. kind of depends what the "modifications" are. pendragons' modifications to selbit's sawing in half concept certainly suffice -- unless the first conception of sawing in half stakes a claim forever, and for all methods. same with floating tables.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
There's a Clearly Impossible for sale on ebay built by Warren Miller at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pendragons-Clearly-I......5bc32db9

:magicrabbit:
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2011-03-31 18:13, pradell wrote:
There's a Clearly Impossible for sale on ebay built by Warren Miller at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pendragons-Clearly-I......5bc32db9

<SIGH>

I don't know what's more dismaying: that someone is selling this illusion on such an open market, or that the same individual all but tips a good part of the method in his zeal to craft a successful sales pitch.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
It certainly sets out much of what makes it distinctive and deceptive. however, if anyone has a recourse against it being sold -- pendragon presumably -- it would be a fairly simple matter to send a letter to ebay asking that it be removed. so long as there is a compelling reason, based in intellectual property law, they'll remove it. on the same basis, it should be a simple matter to enjoin this particular person from selling it -- anywhere, not just on ebay. with relatively minimal expense, a preliminary injunction -- the same legal device that effectively eliminated Napster --would put this person out of business, and likely discourage others. again, so long as there is some actual legal basis for limiting the manufacture and sale of a transparent, thin sawing in half to one person or entity, actualizing that limitation is almost as easy as posting here.
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Who is selling it? a memeber of the Café?
scottmcfall
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of scottmcfall
Hi there folks. Both Jonathan and Charlotte consulted for us at various times. If there is one thing I learned from him... it is that the plot and situation is the point. The correctly obsessed detail orientation that he used was amazing. Lesson - really assess yourself- your cast - and the themes you can pull off. Then buy the effect. If buying someone else's work. Use them as consultants first in order to know if you fit the effect and the plot. A whole lot of money can be spent chasing a trick that just isn't a fit for you. It is very similar to buying clothing made out of spandex. Each illusion isn't for everyone. Simply Impossible was at our theater for some time prior to Jonathan wishing to have it back for use at the castle etc. It is an absolutely amazing piece of magic that requires theatrical skill. If Jonathan thinks you fit the bill to do this effect and if you have an assistant that fits the bill then hire him to block and teach it...he is an amazing blocking instructor and teacher.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
I'll second that ...Jenny and I learned the trunk with personal instruction from both Jonathan and Charlotte. There are so many great details in the blocking and movement. JP is a perfectionist, no doubt. Never worked with the sawing though...would love to some day. It's such a great piece.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Pendragon
Scott and Scott, thank you for the kind words. Mr. McFall, thanks to you, I was able to refine the presentation. West and I worked out a method so that the illusion could be done by two people (Liberty Larsen and me) without assistants.This streamlined the performance, which perfectly reflected the prop's design. I also wanted to remove the misogyny inherent in the effect, which is very difficult. It must be remembered that magicians sawed men in half first, but it wasn't until a woman was placed in the prop that the illusion became a sensation. That aspect has, in my opinion, always haunted the illusion. West, Liberty, and I worked with choreography, movement, and music to maintain the surreal without the salacious, and I think we succeeded. As with everything I do, I never consider my presentations immutable.

Mr. Alexander, I saw a video of you and Jenny presenting Metamorphosis. Very well done. I believe in my work and, when asked, am more than happy to help others. But I still experience pain when others "help themselves"... to my work.
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
I have the Clearly Impossible sawing. Still haven't opened the case but looking forward to start the rehearsals for the show!!!! Thanks for your comment Jonathan!
CA-Lynx
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of CA-Lynx
Daniel summers is building this.
http://www.danielsummers.com/clearlyimpossible.html
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
@CA-Lynx: Daniel was building this. It's Bill Smiths turn now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Clearly impossible (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL