The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » HN Review 24: Five Minutes with a Pocket Handkerchief - Quentin Reynolds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 24: Five Minutes with a Pocket Handkerchief - Quentin Reynolds

AD:
An entire act that fits in your pocket, Featuring the hilarious Magic Mouse. Quentin Reynolds is a professional magician from
Dublin, Ireland who has spent the last 25 years perfecting his craft. His specialty is children's shows and the routine taught here
is the highlight of his show - a polished five minute act which is accomplished with nothing more than an ordinary
pocket-handkerchief.

You are treated to a live performance in front of a classroom of children where Reynolds brings the kids to a frenzy using this handkerchief routine and the many gags and touches which make it a masterpiece. Following the performance you are taught
everything you need to know to perform the act.

The routine is a brisk and upbeat sequence of effects which begins with a stretching handkerchief, a series of knots and
culminates with the animation of the Magic Mouse. It is adaptable for most performing situations such as stage, parlor,
close-up, walk-around, kids, adults, yet it a11 fits in your pocket and is very easy to do.

REVIEW:

When I saw the name of Meir Yedid on the tape cover, I honestly started cursing... Fortunately he's only the US distributor, and do not have anything to do with the effects.

Be aware - the tricks are for 5 year old children. For kids show, I guess the effects look good with an appropriate deal of showmanship - the "Animated Mouse" is the highlight of the tape and really involves the audience. Sure you can do it for adults… you can also perform "Run Rabbit Run" for corporate audiences.

Overall rating: acceptable

H.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10392 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I thought the tape was entertaining, and the youngsters had loads of fun.

At least it didn't have JOHN in the audience.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Watching Quentin slay an audience of kids with nothing more than a hanky is a lesson in itself.

For successful kid performers, it's not about the "tricks." The reactions from the kids AND Quentin are hysterical.

JR
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5243 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I met Quentin at the Phoenix Gathering convention last year, and personally saw him perform it. All I can say is, it's great!

If you think you can only do it for 5 year olds, you haven't tried it for others. I saw Quentin perform it for a roomful of adults, and he mesmerized them and got a lot of laughs.

If you ever see Quentin, introduce yourself. He's a truly nice guy.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Quote:
On 2003-05-20 10:41, vinsmagic wrote:

lol Smile
tkuhns
View Profile
Regular user
Kirksville, Missouri
134 Posts

Profile of tkuhns
I'm dying to do this for my next kid's show! I have the tape as well, and laughed hysterically at his live performance with the children.

Honestly, I think if you do kid's shows, this is a MUST HAVE!
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary

vinny

And I thought I was the only one who got annoyed with John!
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
Sunny Idaho
1488 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:

REVIEW:

When I saw the name of Meir Yedid on the tape cover, I honestly started cursing...

Out of interest ....

why?
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2003-05-21 05:59, Futureal wrote:
Quote:

REVIEW:

When I saw the name of Meir Yedid on the tape cover, I honestly started cursing...

Out of interest ....

why?

Nothing personal - after the purchase of his "Compact Key" (see relevant review...), I had promised to myself not to buy anything else from him

H.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Meir Yedid has put out some great stuff, if I saw his name on the cover I would have the opposite reacion.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
This is probably one of the best videos that shows a performer working with younger kids available! Quentin understands the kinds of silly gags and interaction that work well for this age of audience.

If you are interested in performing for nursery school or kindergarten-aged audiences, this is a great example of the type of approach to use...what types of humor kids respond to at that age, how your character should be gentle and silly, and so on. Even if you don't do this routine at all, it's a great lesson to see Quentin in action.

The highlight of this routine is the Magic Mouse -- one of those old, overlooked bits of business that I've seen in books, but I'd never seen anyone do. It turns out to be terrific...you take a simple handkerchief and fold it up into a "mouse" that you animate. Like Rocky the Raccoon, it gets a bit out of control and jumps around into people's laps. To get the most out of this, you should be one of those people who can react to unexpected things well.

When I finish with the mouse, there's almost always a kid who says, "Do that again!" because he had so much fun.

This tape is Highly Recommended for kidshow performers.

Jeff
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
360 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
I enjoyed the tape but had mixed feelings about its value. Most of what is on the tape is in Karl Fulves "self-working handkerchief magic", even the part about the watchwinder.

I practiced it and tried it out in front of some children and they did love it. So I guess it gave me the confidence to go and actually perform the routine whereas before I probably wouldn't have done so.

Jim T.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10392 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Speaking of John I believe hes under contract , He has to be: How is it hes on almost every video made. If I'm not mistaken hes also on Bill Malones DVDs.
Hey John plese give another stooge a chance,,
to make som cash.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
He's not under contract Vinny. Jon doesn't get paid and he is no stooge. He volunteers his time to show up on set because he loves watching magic. I am really surprised that all of you would get annoyed with John. He is the example of our dream spectator. He rallies the crowd and loves everything you do. I would give anything to take him with me for every show I did. How could you say that he is anything else? I thought what we were looking for, are good reactions, and then when we see them we get annoyed. That is just sad you guys. Jon doesn't get paid and he is no stooge.

Andrew Smile
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10392 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Andrew writes John is an example of a dream spectator"

Andrew say your were performing a trick that you messed up badly, and the whole audience saw the blunder. The only one who was fooled was John.
Be my guest take him with you on your next gig.....
Come check out my magic.

Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
John won't get fooled if you mess up Vinny. You treat him as if he was a robot. And I don't screw up my performances. You are focusing too much on the negative things that could happen, if any. John is a human too. Be nice.

Andrew Smile
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
He is in the Bill Malone's DVDs, Jay Sankey's, and others'.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10392 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Andrew,

With all the magic that Jhn has been around, he acts so suprised on every effect. Give me a break. He's a plant in the studio and when the effect is over do you notice how the camera always shows his facial expression.

And I wasn't implying you mess up. I was using the term in general.

PS Don't say do not mess up we're all human.
Come check out my magic.

nalu_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Paradise
296 Posts

Profile of nalu_magic
John is also in the Ammar, Wonder, and Daryl among others. Any more to the list?
guccimagic
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of guccimagic
I think this video very good and great material for kids
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
John is also in the David Regal tapes....I know he's in others, too. Can't remember which!
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1178 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Back on to something relevant to the quality of the video, I too have seen Quentin have roomfuls of fully grown adults having an incredibly great time with this routine. It opens up the child inside them, and Quentin is an incredibly gifted performer (not to mention a stand up guy).

I think it's a bit harsh to judge Meir on one effect, particularly one that wasn't even his own creation. Every distributor/manufacturer is going to occasionally have something that doesn't suit you. That one "dud" shouldn't be sufficient to keep you from ever touching anything that company works on again. Two or three sure, but one?
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
Sunny Idaho
1488 Posts

Profile of Futureal
If everyone avoided companies because they bought subpar or sloppy material A1 would have been out of business years ago Smile

- I was watching one of their tapes yesterday, they even managed to mis-spell their own name - the video was credited to A1 "Mulitmedia" at one point ...

Smile Smile Smile
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Jay Sankey performs almost exclusively for John on the 'Very Best of Jay Sankey'. Rather than hijack this thread, perhaps John should have his own!
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2003-05-24 00:48, Andy Leviss wrote:

I think it's a bit harsh to judge Meir on one effect, particularly one that wasn't even his own creation. Every distributor/manufacturer is going to occasionally have something that doesn't suit you. That one "dud" shouldn't be sufficient to keep you from ever touching anything that company works on again. Two or three sure, but one?

That's correct Mr. Leviss - it would be like judging "A Squared Production" by Luke Jermay's Eight Maneuver.

Alas, Meir Yedid got me more than once...

H.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1178 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I know Harvey knows this, since he mentioned it elsewhere, but for those who may not, it is worth stating. If one were to judge us on that product, they'd have to judge us taking into account the fact that not only did we discontinue the product after re-evaluating it, but we also offerred a full refund or exchange, no questions asked, to anybody who was unhappy with it.

Again, though, this has nothing at all to do with Quentin's video, which contains some wonderful material for the right performer. Heck, even if you don't do the effect, it's just fun listening to Quentin perform it, with his entertainingly pleasant Irish accent ;o)

To put it another way, I don't do childrens' shows anymore, haven't in four and a half years. When I met Quentin at Phoenix Gathering this year, I ended up driving him to a lecture he gave at Denny & Lee's on childrens' magic. Despite the fact that I'll never perform any of the effects he discussed in the lecture, and will never perform for that particular audience, I still got quite a bit of value out of his performance and advice.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » HN Review 24: Five Minutes with a Pocket Handkerchief - Quentin Reynolds (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL