The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Revolution ring Flight (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
I've been looking for a good ring flight. I think I may have just found it. Smile
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
So far this has been a treat to have! PLUS a two year warranty. You can't beat that!

:)
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I got mine Friday. This is my 7th ringflight, and while number 6 (pegasus) has always worked fine, revolution is the first one that actually makes sense. The usual "key wallet" (or whatever its called) is rather uncommon. Even departure didn't make sense, even it is a clever idea, as I have never had a car with a separate remote like that and cant think of any friend who'd have that kind of remote-seems its no remote or remote built into the key. But revolution...wow!

The most brilliant thing here is the locking and how the locking works. Simple as heck, yet totally brilliant. And finally a ring flight where the clip fits among the keys and everything looks totally coherent.

Highly recommended!
Sent from my Typewriter
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
725 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Just an update since my purchase back in August.

Ring Flite Revolution is one of the best purchases I've made in years. I use it regularly in all of of my close up performances and I've probably performed it roughly 1000 times since I've gotten it.

It's reliable, easy to set, and most importantly, never questioned by anyone; A perfect prop. If you are currently performing any type of flying ring effect, you owe it to yourself to pick up this well crafted prop. Worth every penny!
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
I have now been using this for a while and to use a pun it does exactly what it says on the tin,it's not flashy, it does the same job as all the other ring flights on the market it just does it better with no fuss, and there is the added advantage that you can let the spectator remove their ring if you so wish.
I have used this extensivley over the christmas period with no problems at all and some of the rings I have been given would not have been out of place on the set of Dallas they were huge but all were handled without any problems.
hats off to dave for a great product.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Just ordered mine. I'm excited to get it and start practicing with it!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
I have just placed my order, Dave is a really nice guy, he replied my email quick enough and answer all my questions. I cant wait to get mine Smile ... Thank you Dave for being so nice.
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Well I have had mine for a few weeks and it is wonderful - The DVD is a reel gem Smile - as it teaches exactly how to care for it and make adjustments to the strength/length etc in 100% detail unlike other ring flights.- I already feel like an expert field stripping it.

tip: (for UK buyers) - put a tesco club card tag onto the key ring - it doesn't get in the way at all and the visual look of such a mundane everyday utility adds to the camouflage - ...not that it really needs it.

I recommend getting one of these if you already know you use and love ring flights are it is surely the best,...... even if it is a little £££
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
I am excited about getting this. I have done a fair amount of magic, but have always been uncomfortable about ring flight. How to get their ring into play? "Why" to borrow it.

So first, the rationale for having to borrow their ring. Does anyone in the Café have some elegant solutions beside "may I borrow your ring for a magic trick?" I'm also a bit wary of the "I'll clean your ring" type stuff.

Thanks.

Then, once we've overcome that hurdle (and I know for many people, simply asking for a prop, is not a hurdle, but I am trying to hold to a logical, elegant, intelligent, aesthetic) what is the first effect one should do in a ring-flight routine?

Sure, we could just ring-flight right away, but it seems to want a build and some logic. Ring bandit? Ring and string (but again, WHY a flipping shoelace?)

And then, finally, how to handle the crucial moment before you attach the clip. What has just happened that a) draws attention away from attaching their ring to the clip and b) that gave you a logical reason to reach into your pocket to procure the clip?

I'm looking for some masterful thoughts on some psychological principles to help turn this into a masterpiece of entertainment instead of what it could be if I don't answer these important questions.

Thank you so much for your generous help. Can't wait to have the "cadillac" of ring-flights
M1
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Of course, my answers may well not be your answers, M1. But, FWIW...

I think sometimes we get to caught up int "why" thing. Why would I be carrying a pack of cards? Or sponge balls? Or many of the other things we carry and use to perform? Why do we do magic at all, when we know it isn't real, and the spectators know it isn't real?

The fact of the matter is, tricks like sponge ball routines and ring and string and ring flight kill! Laymen are absolutely astounded by them. yet there is no logical reason for them. The fact of the matter is, most laymen just don't care, as long as the routine has its own inherent logic. It doesn't necessarily have to make sense anywhere else outside the scope of its own routine. This is why we can watch a movie about superheroes with impossible powers like flight, invisibility, etc, but if the bad guy keeps shooting at the hero and never reloads his gun, we say, "Oh, come on! That's ridiculous! That guy just shot 500 rounds from a 30 round clip!"

As far as a ring flight routine goes, you don't reach in your pocket for the clip. Further, when handled properly, nobody is even aware of the clip (not much of a trick if they are aware of it!)--it simply looks like you are placing the ring on the tip of your finger as you're examining it.

The motivation for borrowing the ring may be something as simple as, "If I show you something with my ring, you'll probably just say I must have some kind of tricky ring. So may I borrow yours for a moment? I promise to give it back to you in exactly the same condition."

Or you might try something like Dan Fleshman's ploy. He talks about solid gold vs gold plating, and how you can tell the difference. He asks to borrow the ring to demonstrate. He says you can tell what carat the gold is by its smell, but you have to heat the gold just a bit, and he lights a lighter and holds it under the ring in his hand for a minute, etc.

Years ago, I was always concerned about giving the why of every little thing. When I did the shell game, I would go into this explanation about why the shot glass and saucer (later placed over the shells, making the transport more impossible) were there: "The guy who showed me this had just had some tequila and chips and salsa" etc. All that did was bog things down, actually hindering rather than enhancing the magic. If people know you are a magician and you are performing for them, they expect you to use some objects with which to do your magic.

David Roth, among others, has said, "If we could REALLY do magic, our presentations would be two words: WATCH THIS!" I think there's some truth to that.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
dedikc
View Profile
Veteran user
France (Lyon)
340 Posts

Profile of dedikc
A good thing with this ring flight is you can make a ring disepear on a string. You lock the ring when the ring is in the middle of the string. The reel make the ring slide on the the string to the ring key. It's beautiful. and its a very good end of the ring and lace routine.
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Thanks guys! Thank you for your thoughts! I'm interested to hear anyone else's take on this too. Scott, thank you so much. Merci dedikc!
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
Magic1, Dan Tong has a nice ring flite routine on one of his videos.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
A note in praise of Dave Bonsall's incredible customer service!

There was a little mixup on my order, and Dave immediately offered a very generous way to make everything right. He really stands behind Ring Flight Revolution.

On top of that, RFR comes with a two-year guarantee, so my mind will always be at ease about using and enjoying Ring Flight Revolution.

I can't praise Dave's customer service and integrity enough. Great guy to deal with!

Best wishes,
Jerry
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi Everyone,

I would like to include myself in this list of VERY satisfied customers! I have had all kinds of models of Ring Flight--From the original Harry Stanley/Al Koran set-up to the Ken Brooke Nemo Ring Flight. I have the quite rare Forbes Ring Flight, too.

David's offering is up there amongst the best available. I have used it extensively in my recent work and it is a certified gem. The attention to detail in the prop and the DVD is great.

David's customer service is great too. For those of you wanting a quality prop, Ring Flight Revolution will be a great investment. I have two--I might just have to go back for more!

Respectful regards,

Paul Green
Mysterious Mike
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
258 Posts

Profile of Mysterious Mike
Hello everyone!

I just received my Ring Flight Revolution. Dave shipped it out to me very quickly and I received it in a very timely manner. I communicated with Dave Bonsall a bit through email prior to the purchase and his customer service is very excellent. The product itself appears high quality, and the included DVD is very helpful. The only issue I see so far is that the r*** has a bit of an occasional squeak (at least on mine), but that may be corrected with a little lubrication.

As for asking a spectator for a ring... I have done it in a way that does not appear that you are about to do an effect. I'll stare at the ring on the ladies' finger for a moment, then ask, "What is the story behind that ring?" After she tells me, I will then say something like, "Wow, that's cool! May I see it?" Then go into the effect.

Hope this helps a bit!

Mike
The performance is what really makes it all worth while.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

I got mine in the mail a few days ago. I can only add my voice to the others singing the praises of Ring Flight Revolution! I got the BMW key, and it is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. It worked perfectly from the first time. It is beautifully made, works like a charm, and has all those extra features: The extra keys that come with it, the brake that locks it in place when retracted, the extra clips, the ease of changing out clips, the warranty and return policy, and above all, Dave's great service!

As a working pro, I have become accustomed to being, shall we say, less than satisfied with the quality of magic props and the service of the people who sell them. The exceptions like Dave and his Ring Flight Revolution are so refreshing, and make me happy that I am in magic.

Thanks Dave, for your beautiful prop and your wonderful service. I give both my absolute, unreserved, highest recommendation!
My Lybrary Page
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
HERE HERE!!!

Scott you said it all! Dave is great! I just received mine two days ago and I just can't quit playing with it. I've loved the idea of ring flight for many MANY years, but I never bought one. Yes, it was tough, but I could never justify a "ring purse". Also the F.O.B. thing didn't appeal to me either. Nope....was just not going to do it until I could do it right. That time is now...and I'll be using it every chance I can.

The only thing I really hate about it is that I didn't think of it!

David, a giant box of Kudos to you for making my keys almost as fun as driving my Z-4. Sorry, but that just can't be topped!

Take care all and enjoy this wonderful prop!

Christian
Ruben Padilla
View Profile
Loyal user
Narrative Strategist
206 Posts

Profile of Ruben Padilla
Paul Green told me all about this today, and I'm embarrassed I've never heard of it. But I'm ordering one, and I'll post my thoughts when I receive it. After reading all the raves, I can't imagine not liking it.
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Ruben- Don't be embarrassed. Just feel great knowing that you're in for a real treat!

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 10:13am
I wasn't going to post this, but I thought I'd check with all the current owners and gather thoughts and input about the clip they are using and why. I thought it might also help some that are torn between clips as I was. I believe Dave is including an additional clip than what he was including when the dvd was shot. My set came with the S-biner (sp?) clip, a smaller lobster clip as shown in the dvd on Dave's set with the lever on the side to open it, and finally my set came with a different clip already set up on the gaffus. It is a larger lobster style clip that is very nice looking, but it doesn't have the lever opposite the opening to open the clip. I tried this clip quite a few times in practice and found that:

1) It's a bit too big for me to conceal comfortably when putting the ring on "my finger".

2) It's a tad noisier than the smaller, traditional style lobster clip when doing the "move"

For these reasons I switched out the larger clip that was on it and use the smaller, traditional lobster clip. However, I did find a great use for the leverless lobster clip. In-lieu of the "skeleton key" that Dave uses, I put the larger lobster clip on the ring and to that I've attached a handsome stainless BMW keychain tag from my local BMW dealership. This provides me with an unmistakable no-fail handle to grab the keys from out of my pocket much like the skeleton key would, but even easier to find. In addition to making the set look more ordinary, this also gives me a reason to add an additional lobtster clip to the mix and therefore, keeping the gaff less "alien" in the mix I suppose.

I would appreciate any and all feedback on this.

Thanks all!

Christian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Revolution ring Flight (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL