The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How do you carry your restaurant magic around? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Tricky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricky
I was wondering, how do you transport your magic around tables? Sure it's ok if you are just doing cards or coins, etc... because they fit in your pockets, but what about things like cups and balls and other big items? Do you have a close up case or something?
james
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I think most (note: I said most, however, there are those that believe otherwise) of the pros here would tell you that cups and balls shouldn't be used for table-hopping since you don't want to invade "their space" (the table). My thought would be that if it doesn't fit in your pockets or a little case, it's probably not the best thing for table-hopping. Just a thought, but to get back to the original question, most of my stuff fits in my pockets (I'm usually wearing a coat, though).
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Tricky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricky
Yes I thought about cups and balls invading space whilst I was reading some other topics on the use of cups and balls.

And anyway, come to think of it, in close up and table hopping there is nothing that is really very big.
james
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I just use a card to wallet stuffed full. Also all my pockets are filled up.
I have been thinking about carrying a small bag around with me with most of my stuff in there. (The effects I use most will still be in the pocket like sponges, coins, string, ECT...) The cups and balls, close up pad, balloons and children give-aways will be in the bag.

What I mean by bag, is like a doctor’s bag or a soft over the shoulder brief case. I picture that I could just walk up, set the bag at my feet (off to the side so I don't trip) and start.

If I decide to do something that is in the bag, I bend down, get it and go. This also gives me spare rubber bands, cards, pens, business cards and so forth. If I don't want to use the bag that night I would place it in the wait-staff station or in the manager's office. What does everyone else think about this idea?
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Actually, I do cups and balls table-hopping--a two cup, one ball routine with three final loads. I use mini cups and Fakini Billiard Balls for the final loads. Aldo Colombini has a nice table-hopping C&B routine with sponge balls in "The Close Up magic of Aldo Colombini."

I agree that you shouldn't "invade" their space, but I have a method to get around this.

To answer the original question, it depends. Sometimes I work strictly out of my pockets. In my restaurant work, I have used a case with a pad on top and an invention of mine that allows me the full use of a pad and a case to carry lots of extra and bigger props (Chop cup, Linking rings, etc) without intruding on the guests' table space. It also allows me to have a lot more effects while keeping my pockets relatively empty, avoiding the "bulgey" look.

Works for me! I know there are some who think you only need five or six tricks. I have worked restaurants 4-5 nights a week, 2-4 hours a night, for nearly 11 years. I would get bored to tears with only a few effects.

But again, that's just me. What works well for you is what you should do, and there is certainly plenty of room for different methods, ways of working and opinions.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Tablehopping: everything fits in a pocket (even my topit holds a jumbo coin which, by being vanished, automatically resets). I have 8 extra, specially-designed pockets professionally sewn inside my jacket.

I use a modified Klamm pocket organizer in my R jacket pocket.

I have a chopped-down, plastic baseball card collector case with a divider which holds 3 packet tricks in my shirt breast pocket.

Very important: I roll long shirt sleeves INWARD. This keeps coins and other goodies dropped down the inside of the coat sleeve from getting accidentally caught on the way down. I prefer short sleeves under a coat for this very reason.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Mandrake
View Profile
New user
Germany
66 Posts

Profile of Mandrake
Whatever is too big for the guests table, should not be on it, to my honest opinion, anyhow, if you want to do bigger stuff, why don't you just get a big tray and a tray-stand? I know they are very common in the states.... I would borrow it from the place I perform and BTW. playing the (maybe even clumsy) waiter can be the perfect approach for your table... ever thought about it?

Greets Mandrake Smile Smile
(Bartender & Magician, from Germany)
the truth "lies" in the eye of the beholder
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Would a strolling guitarist bring his guitar case to your table?
Well, I certainly hope not!
Same thing, essentially.
Everything I do can be contained in my jacket pockets or that old standby, the magic vest (mine are specially made with deeper pockets than normal).
I am of the school that doesn't believe in invading the space of the customer.
Others can do it freely.
It all depends on your style, the restaurant's ambience, and the type of customer.
Personal preference: No case, no table, no "nuttin' ".
But, then, that's just my personal preference.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
Aedryan Methyus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aedryan Methyus
If their is room I like to bring my fold up stand (like the ones used by waitresses in restaurants to set their trays down on) and my briefcase. I will place my close-up pad on top of the briefcase and I'm good to go.

It takes up very little room and beats the h**L out of working on a table with food and drinks spilled all over it.

Aedryan
Mandrake
View Profile
New user
Germany
66 Posts

Profile of Mandrake
Well, another thought...
since I work at bars or restaurants, I am often there before the customers are.

Whenever I have a chance to know the seating I hide stuff in the place.... under the table or up at the ceiling if I can reach it and you have sort of a shelf-like struture.... It always trips them off, when you pull stuff from apparently nowhere. I am not talking of your basic props, more of stuff that just could not be there.

E.G.: One night I prepared to perform salt shaker through the table (I do it with a tumbler though...) and I prefer to use Aluminum Foil as a cover. At the place I work currently, there is a two-level ceiling. It hides the neon tubes for the indirect lighting and I can perfectly reach into the shelf, standing.

So I hid several whole dispenser, packs of A.Foil up there, over several tables.
I started pattering about the coin and the glass, looking around for a cover.... Then I stood up and with one hand pulled a length of A-foil "out of the ceiling" and tore it off, just like the most natural thing in the world... BINGO... after that, they ate everything...

Just toy around with the options you have...
Greets Mandrake Smile
the truth "lies" in the eye of the beholder
Telemus
View Profile
Regular user
Everett WA
128 Posts

Profile of Telemus
For table hopping and strolling magic everything is in my pockets. Single cup routine can be very powerful. (Ammar has a wonderful routine) Some effects I like very much, but I don't get stuck on having to do that specific trick if it doesent fit the venue. Establish a set of requirements that an effect must meet for the venue. Those requirements are up to you. But remember more stuff doesn't always meen a better effect- As in a Mentalist Effect. Very powerful with, in most cases limited props.
Pack small Play Big
Telemus
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
This is a new topic for me, has anyone tried using an apron. I saw a busker using one and it looked rather nice. I have seen one in a catalog, but at present have no use for such an item.

Just wondering what you all think about this?

Kevin Smile
Mr.B
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mr.B
I usually work out of my pockets in the restaurant but I will do the cups for those repeat customer who keep coming back because they know me and there is no problem with anyone's space being invaded. Smile
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I use an apron I had my wife make me. It can be adjusted to have one pocket on it or more.
I am still playing around with it but I had her make it because there were some tricks I wanted to do that didn't fit in my pockets and with repeat costomers I needed more space to carry new stuff.

I had her make it a little biggger than coat pockets with small pockets inside for extra coins. When I am not using the pockets they just slide around to my back and I can slide them to the front when needed. Working out really well so far.

Shawn
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
I'm with you Peter (Marucci) - it's all in my pockets.

I can do about half-an-hour at each table if required (almost never) from this.

Only way IMHO. Smile
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Tricky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricky
Actually everything you will need apart from say C&B can fit in pockets, ie... cards, coins, wallet, TT, sponges pen, so really you just need something with some fairly big pockets
james
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
I agree with Geoff and Peter -- Well said!

Although I always work from my pockets, one of our colleages works from a "fanny pack", one of those belt-satchels (his is black leather and fits in well with his outfit). This allows him the advantage of more carrying space without the shackle of lugging a bag.

-JF Smile
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-03-26 21:18, Sir T wrote:
This is a new topic for me, has anyone tried using an apron. I saw a busker using one and it looked rather nice. I have seen one in a catalog, but at present have no use for such an item.

Just wondering what you all think about this?

Kevin Smile

I use a Gib. in my street work and I love it. It would work well behind a bar as many barmen wear aprons. I don't know however how it would be percieved in a table hopping situation. I assume that you are wearing a suit and I don't think a gib or a butt pack would be appropriate with a suit.

Best,
dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Yes, indeed, Dan.
In doing street work, I use a giberciere that is, in fact, a bartender's apron.
It's black, has three very deep pockets, and a blade fastener at the back.
I can put a number of things in it, including a full gross of balloons.
(Of course, you can't sit down!) Smile
And you're right; it wouldn't work in a suit or tux -- unless you were performing for a room full of clowns! Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
I use a hollowed out book to carry some of the props (along with extra deck, rubberbands, odds and ends I don't want in my pockets)

The bottom of the book has a hole in it and a plate from a Norm Neilson cane and hat to table.

If I do restaurant work, it's just the book. If I'm doing walkaround at a party, I carry the cane and the book. I make my intro, and if given the OK, I spin the cane and drop the book on it for a small table to set a couple of things on as I work.
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How do you carry your restaurant magic around? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL