The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2009 entrée: Jeff McBride » » Card Magic and Introductions » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Jeff,

One thing that I've been struggling with lately is beginning to perform in a casual setting to bring the conversation to what I want to do. This especially applies when I want to bring out my deck of cards and begin a routine, but I am not sure how to bring out the cards without creating a "this guy is a card geek" attitude. How do you think this can be solved? What are some things I can do to create a smooth transition from conversation to the magic moments?

Also, what are your favorite card effects, and what are some things you do to create meaning with card magic?

Thanks for being on the Café this week!

Bill
Jeff McBride
View Profile
V.I.P.
Jeff McBride
246 Posts

Profile of Jeff McBride
Greetings Bill,

There are social tactics to learn as you mature. One of them is the art of conversation, and how to engage people in social situations.

Your question is a good one. When I was starting out in magic, was very awkward at parties, and did not perform magic. it took me years to not only build my skills, but also to learn some "rules of engagement".

Here are a few sources that will help you sharpen your social skills to make it easier to perform in these situations.
Dale Carnegie's Golden Book, Dale Carnegie
The Art of Mingling, Jeanne Martinet
The Underdog Advantage, David Morey and Scott Miller
The Golden Rule of Schmoozing, Aye Jaye

Read these books! They are filled with wisdom..... wisdom that will help you on and off stage. Wisdom that will help you move into the very best social circles.

At parties and gatherings I often tell the host or a friend that I "have a gift for them". This opens the moment to a different feel that .."I want to show(off) you a trick"!

No one wants to be tricked...but we all like to get gifts right?

This "gift giving" must come from a real sincere place inside of the performing artist. It cannot be "faked".

My gift is the gift of a magical experience...a moment of mystery that I hope you will remember for years to come.

Yours in creating living gifts of magic,

JEff
Let's keep in touch! I would love to send you my free, inspirational MUSE-LETTER. SIgn up here:
<BR>http://www.mcbridemagic.com/join/
<BR>
<BR>Creator of [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHcwrL6lZU]The McBride Magic and Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2009 entrée: Jeff McBride » » Card Magic and Introductions » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL