The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Good Juggling Routine for my Magic Show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1398 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Hi everyone,

I posted this in Little Darlings, but thought it might be good to try here as well...

First, a brief history: I've been juggling for many years. I'm sure I can't hold a candle to 99% of the guys in this forum, but I can do 3 and 4 balls, 2 balls and a Bowler and am ok with the clubs too. 3-ball is the only thing I do in my magic show now, and I can do a wide variety of 3-ball juggling tricks.

I love incorporating a little juggling into my magic shows. The juggling works for all ages, and I feel it's a nice variation to the gags and magic. I usually do the juggling mid-show.

I've been using a version of John Zander's 3-ball juggling routine, for a couple years now. It works fine, but I was trying to come up with some new routines, new ways of getting into the juggling. But I seem to be having some trouble.

I don't want to just take the balls out and say "ok, now it's time to watch me juggle!". I like there to be a premise for my juggling, some sort of routine or story to build on.

I've done some searches, but I'm having trouble really finding good routines and ideas for a 3-ball juggling segment for my magic show.

Does anyone have any suggestions, as far as resources or even basic juggling routine premises themselves?
You don't drown by falling in the water;
you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11052 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Danny
I hate to be a smart a**, but if you go to a regional juggling convention you will get a plethora of great ideas to put your own juggling routine together. Learning the tricks is the hard part, and learning how to use them you can picked up rather easy.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1398 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Al, I don't think you are being a smart*ss at all. But I DID know you would reply with a suggestion of joining a local club or attending a convention (I've been doing a lot of Café searches lately, and I've seen you suggest that a lot!) It's a great suggestion and one I am certainly looking into. Thanks.

The reason I was looking for suggestions, is because I have a few good books on juggling, and while they teach a ton of tricks and technique, I've found that none of them approach the subject of routining or getting into the juggling itself.

But again, I will look onto a local convention or club, thanks.
You don't drown by falling in the water;
you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11052 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Danny
All you will get from a book is a bunch of tricks, but going one on one with a creative juggler will teach you how to think like a performer. There are lots of guys that know a lot of tricks, but putting them together in a routine is one of the things you can only learn from going eye ball to eye ball with a real pro. Do a youtube search for Michael Davis, and watch a master at work. If you need any help finding a jugglers club near you contact me, and I will help you find one.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
22139 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Danny, I am still practicing juggling, so don't laugh too hard at my idea. Imagine you telling a small story as you are juggling 3 balls. Next, you mention a word that is bad luck to all jugglers. Once you mention that one word, all the balls land on top of your head dropping to the floor. You make it look silly as if you seeing stars. Next, you juggle the three balls again. The children will say that one word to see the balls hit you on the head again. It will make them laugh. You tell them not to say that word as you juggle a third time. But they will say it anyway to watch the humor.
CDS
View Profile
Regular user
MI
109 Posts

Profile of CDS
Danny,
I have asked this question before and I did not have any success.

Looking at may different juggling shows I have notices that most of the juggling show that I have seen
are basically stand up comedy, or the performer is just showing off.

As I am currently looking for stuff, my sources have been looking up the history of juggling... jugglers bulletin and W.C. Fields movies

Good luck
Chuck
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11052 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
There is something magical that happens when you mix ok juggling with bad one liners. The whole routine becomes more than the sum of it's parts. If you do a youtube search on Michael Davis you will see the master of the art of putting together ok jokes with ok juggling for hillarious results.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
540 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Hey Danny,

I live in Western Mass and am a decent juggler (balls, clubs, hat manipulation). I'm not sure where you are in CT, but it might be fun to get together and trade ideas.

I'm working on a little routine that I'm going to incorporate into my magic shows at some point. (Here is a very rough first look at it.) I was thinking about producing the juggling balls from a crystal silk cylinder, but the beanbags I use are too big.

Anyway, let me know if I can help.

-Dan
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore, MD
632 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Quote:
On 2009-07-18 02:30, DanielCoyne wrote:
Hey Danny,

I live in Western Mass and am a decent juggler (balls, clubs, hat manipulation). I'm not sure where you are in CT, but it might be fun to get together and trade ideas.

I'm working on a little routine that I'm going to incorporate into my magic shows at some point. (Here is a very rough first look at it.) I was thinking about producing the juggling balls from a crystal silk cylinder, but the beanbags I use are too big.

Anyway, let me know if I can help.

-Dan

very nice. A square circle could be used to produce the balls ... would have to be a large one to hold all five ... start with one ball ... each time showing the box to be empty, juggle and then produce another ball ... show box empty, juggle and produce another ball ... etc etc

wes holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Baltimore, MD, USA
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
22139 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
"Magic Without Mayhem" is a DVD with Tim Shoesmith juggling and doing magic at a kid's show. He ask if they want to see one ball juggling at first. The kids say yea. You can ask the same thing, but act as if you can not find your ball. Make it seem as if you are looking in different places. Soon as you turn around, the kids notice it on your back. They will be excited. Tim next goes to two ball juggling. Lastly, he does three ball juggling.

Tim also does plate spinning on the DVD in front of the kids.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
538 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
It's almost easier for me to learn the tricks then it is to learn performance in the routine.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11052 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Of course. The trick always comes before the routine, which tells you that you should first learn as many tricks as possible, and then work the ones that you know into a routine.
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
Danny

I too am a magician with little juggling abilities.
I start my show off by juggling because I feel that it’s a good opener to a magic show.
I tell the audience that I just started juggling, starting small and comical with balls, then I work way up with adding tricks getting better and better, then I will move on to juggling clubs, machetes, torches. The reason I do it this is because it’s funny and amazing, and at the beginning they thought I couldn’t juggle at the end they are amazed. Keep in mind I only ever juggle three things at once.
I have noticed that people responded much better to clubs, torches or machetes than they do to balls because everybody knows somebody that can juggle three balls but nobody juggles clubs.

P.S. I learned everything from my local juggling club.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3254 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I've always wanted to juggle say 5 balls, flash them, I pirouette and have them vanish.

The best I've come up with was having my juggling partner steal them in a net and run off. They vanished for me!

Not quite the effect I was after, but still.

If you manage to figure that one out you're more than welcome to use it... But please put me out of my misery and tell me the secret!!!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2174 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I have extremely modest juggling skills, but like to incorporate juggling into the Stratosphere routine. I use a patter line about three students, the red ball being the one who never listened to the teacher or fit into what the rest of the class was doing. So of course the red ball is the one that does the rainbow, goes under the arm, behind the back, under the leg, then into the "timeout" in the vanishing box. Had to substitute hollow rubber juggling balls for the stock Stratosphere balls.
Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most.
fettucinibrother
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
306 Posts

Profile of fettucinibrother
Quote:
On 2009-06-04 10:19, Danny Diamond wrote:

I've done some searches, but I'm having trouble really finding good routines and ideas for a 3-ball juggling segment for my magic show.

Perhaps that is because the "really good" juggling routines can not be "found" thru searches... they are "created". Which comes from the root word "create"... which means that you come up with it yourself. While this may take longer and require more effort than just "finding" one already created... I can promise you that anything good is worth taking the time to create/invent it yourself. Not to mention it will be 1000 times more satisfying if/when it actually turns into a good routine.
I do understand that this is one of the big basic differences between juggling and magic. All magic tricks come with "suggested" patter (of which I see far too many people using instead of taking the initiative to actually "think of" or "create" an original idea for presenting the trick), whereas no juggling props come with any "suggested" patter at all. Not only is juggling not "self working" like a lot of magic is, meaning that it takes a bit more practice to learn the fundamentals, but it requires a little more work or creativity to actually come up with a way to make the juggling entertaining. That, believe it or not, is what separates "people who know how to juggle" from "jugglers who are professional entertainers".
Good luck "finding" a routine. The best place to look might be inside your brain.
Sincerely,
Steve ( who, having been a professional juggler for over 20 years, still struggles at times to find new ideas)
http://www.fettucinibrothers.com
http://www.greatfettucini.com
http://www.fettucinientertainment.com

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool - William Shakespeare
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
490 Posts

Profile of One Man
My advice is to re-read everything Steve wrote...

Also check out the youtube link of topper martyn. Many years ago I saw a video of his act were I swear the balls changed sizes three times. He was much younger in that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucOr0t4yjZs

In my ball routine I do some magic by producing the first, second and third balls from a hat. I have even played with some ideas of using ball droppers and various dove loading techniques to produce balls.

Back to the original question...finding a reason to juggle or a "storyline" can be extremely difficult. I have seen technical virtuoso jugglers that were not very entertaining and I have seen some technically so-so jugglers kill with a powerful presentation. The cream of the crop are technical virtuosos that are entertaining (see Anthony Gatto or Chris Kremo for 2 examples).

A good way to try to come up with a presentation is to brainstorm. Find some creative friends and have a brainstorming session. Here is my contribution...you inherited juggling balls from a relative, you just received your mail order juggling course, you have learned to juggle to win the love of your sweetheart, you juggle because you have no other viable job skills...

Have fun,
Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Good Juggling Routine for my Magic Show? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.181644 seconds, requiring 68 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [1] [9] [8] [1] [1] [1] [9] [7]