The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Gimmick coin at the airport !!!... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I have never has Gaffed Coins taken away from me! Smile I have had 35-40 little coin purses looked trou! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I used to have my coins pulled out and looked at every time I went through security. but that hasn't happened for quite some time now. They always told me that they were looking for knives that some people hid in coins.
A couple of years ago I forgot to pull out the little sword cocktail pick that I used with my block presentation. They told me I couldn't take it on the plane. However the cut down Bar-B-Que skewer that I use for the human blockhead was OK to travel with even though it is just as long and points as the sword cocktail pick. But it didn't look like a sword so it was OK top take on board the plane.
Last January I had to give up a tiny pen knife that was on my key chain. I'd made it down to LA with it. But the TSA agent Longbeach was just sure I could use a half inch blade to bring down a plane so it had to go.
Just this last week I went to Norfolk and the TSA in Seattle had kittens with the wide array of metal objects in mt carry-on. The Harbin Table, intercessor, and two foot tall Coke bottle raised their suspicions and I had to halfway unpack my bags so that they could run things through separately. The TSA in Norfolk however didn't even blink when the exact same bag came through their system.
I had a freind a few years ago get into all sorts of trouble as he had forgotten that his magnetic cards had been shimmed with razor blades. He had to spend some quality time trying to explain to the agent that he wasn't smuggling weapons onboard the plane
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 16:42, Payne wrote:
...they were looking for knives that some people hid in coins.

Knives in COINS?? WTF???? This is nuts...

Quote:

A couple of years ago I forgot to pull out the little sword cocktail pick that I used with my block presentation. They told me I couldn't take it on the plane. However the cut down Bar-B-Que skewer that I use for the human blockhead was OK to travel with even though it is just as long and points as the sword cocktail pick. But it didn't look like a sword so it was OK top take on board the plane.

It nuts, Nuts, NUTS I tell ya!

Quote:
Last January I had to give up a tiny pen knife that was on my key chain. I'd made it down to LA with it. But the TSA agent Longbeach was just sure I could use a half inch blade to bring down a plane so it had to go.

I give up! NO planes! No freakin' AIRPORTS! It's getting to the point where you can't even take the BUS, but that, so far has been the way to go. I have a finger reserved for airports and airport security. Yes, they have thier jobs to do, but if I don't HAVE to fly I won't!

I never imagined the tiny Mogar Pen Knives would cause a problem! They were in my carry-on, and in a display case. No way could I take down a PLANE with one of those! It's idiotic. I realize we need safety when flying. But really... Smile

Doug
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
I get the extra added fun of carrying insulin and needles on the plane.

-Max
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
The sword swallower from the circus wouldn't have a chance would he!
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Well I don't Know? He is such a CUT-UP!!! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ You make a fine POINT.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Yea!!! Well I took a Stab At it!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
This is all just one big double-edged sword...

I fly frequently myself and I have had some similar situations come up. I usually carry linking rings and some of the more expensive, smaller props in my carry-on, ESPECIALLY my coins. I always carry my coins in an HD card case when I travel, and when I put them through the scanner, I open them up and lay them flat. Every gaff I have ever had has gone through this way and never been suspected, luckily.

Last year I was on a flight from Detroit (my home airport) to Vancouver and I completely forgot about my Leatherman multi-tool on my belt - pure habit out of wearing it, in the case, on my belt every day. When I took my belt off to put it in the basket, along with my laptop case, I thought....CRAP! BUT, in my laptop case was a sealed cartridge of Mont Blanc ink in their shoe-shaped inkwell, and as everything went throught the scanner, they picked the bottle of ink to questions me about and the 4" long multi-bladed multi-tool went right by them and after explaining that the liquid was ink refill for a fountain pen, that was it...

I understand people have jobs to do so that planes stay "safe" for us to use, but come on!

There was a great story from Jason Brumbalow from Ellusionist when he was carrying a Pure Smoke device as a demo, just a few days before or after its market debut. On the plane, it was in his carry-on and somehow it was set off and a bunch of the vapor came out of his bag, alarming the guy sitting next to him. Once he explained to the guy what his career was and how the device worked, all was fine and crisis averted. Most of us would not be so lucky...

Good old TSA...Thousands Standing Around.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ You guys are on the CUTTING EDGE.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Yea Sorry About the Pun ! Smile He Blade me Do it!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 08:15, Dougini wrote:

I give up! NO planes! No freakin' AIRPORTS! It's getting to the point where you can't even take the BUS, but that, so far has been the way to go. I have a finger reserved for airports and airport security. Yes, they have thier jobs to do, but if I don't HAVE to fly I won't!

I never imagined the tiny Mogar Pen Knives would cause a problem! They were in my carry-on, and in a display case. No way could I take down a PLANE with one of those! It's idiotic. I realize we need safety when flying. But really... Smile

Doug

What is so hard to understand about No Knives on planes? I travel a lot and have never had a problem with the TSA taking coins or any other props . To blame the TSA for taking a set of knives when there are signs all over the place that clearly say no knives is absurd.

I have had them do a bag check a couple of times but they see that they are magic props, no problem. The worst that has happened is one guy in a scoffing tone say " Oh, a Maigician" when he came across my ninja rings. I guess he had the drunken birthday magician at his parties Smile

People travel with all kinds of weird things.

As far as the small sword. I think that was more of an effort to keep some chicken little from calling in a complaint and having the airport shut down because "that man has a sword".
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-07-15 07:51, Pecan_Creek wrote:
What is so hard to understand about No Knives on planes? I travel a lot and have never had a problem with the TSA taking coins or any other props . To blame the TSA for taking a set of knives when there are signs all over the place that clearly say no knives is absurd.

You're right Pecan. I could say it was stupidity, but honestly, I had just become homeless. I had my two carry-on bags (everything I owned), and really was not thinking I had anything to worry about. I packed that one bag with all the magic I could not readily replace. The Mogar Knives were in a case, marked as The Color Changing Knives (or something like that).

I guess I don't blame the TSA. If they hadn't been confiscated they would have been lost in the foreclosure, anyway! Either way I'd have lost them. It was embarrassing, and really a bummer. If it had been just a pair of knives I would not have been so upset. It was a custom set of five (or six), and they were my favorite!

I know I'm being a bone-head about this. I'm just still not adjusted to this "new world". Smile
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
The terrorists have won!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
In more ways than one, Steve...Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Gimmick coin at the airport !!!... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL