The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Slydini Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1388 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Now and in the past some of my close-up jobs are not lit well.

Hence not being able to perform my SS routine. (one of my top 5)

Any suggestions?

Someone suggested a DOTs and to just use that set for the darkened area.

Post or PM would be fine.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20009 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tony taught me to do the trick (1969) with two different color real silks to start with! The white nylon ones were so he had something to sell at lectures! (They were also supposed to look like men's handkerchiefs.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@MagicBySander.com

http://www.magicbysander.com/
JNeal
View Profile
Special user
933 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Why not either use two nylon scarves of slightly different textures or hems. As Bob implies, you really don't have to look for hem color if you are watching the process carefully.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Manhattan Beach, CA
2501 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Bob, did you ever meet Tony Clark? He was a student of Slydini's for the few years he was still working before he passed away. Tony is my teacher now out here in L.A.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20009 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I have not met Tony Clark face to face but we have had conversations with each other. Many years ago I started and wrote a thing here on the Internet for dove magicians called Dove Hotline. I took off two years to write books and Tony Clark covered it during that time. Then (March 2006?) I returned to Dove HotLine.

I remember joking with him about how much students hated working with the metronome in my day and if Slydini still used it. Nothing had changed in 25 years. And if you ever got off beat, TS would beat you to death with a magazine! LOL

Andrew I think have the help of two very fine people named Tony.

Good Luck to you!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

JNeal
View Profile
Special user
933 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I just had lunch with Tony yesterday and he is well and very busy. I worked with him a bit on the Slydini Silks video of his and more recently at his one man Sunday cabarets. Such an down to earth guy!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
5603 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2009-06-19 22:42, Bob Sanders wrote:
I remember joking with him about how much students hated working with the metronome in my day and if Slydini still used it. Nothing had changed in 25 years. And if you ever got off beat, TS would beat you to death with a magazine! LOL

Any details on how the metronome was used? Was it just for finding the "off beat" or was there much more to it?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20009 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Alan,

Studying with Slydini was not at all like any other I have ever met in my only 48 years of magic. It was more like learning dance or music. Every beat had specific positions for hands, facial expressions, patter, etc.

Rarely do you see an act so well planned and executed. It was hardly just tricks.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1388 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
. . . . . . I guess I try the dots.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Manhattan Beach, CA
2501 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2009-06-20 00:54, JNeal wrote:
I just had lunch with Tony yesterday and he is well and very busy. I worked with him a bit on the Slydini Silks video of his and more recently at his one man Sunday cabarets. Such an down to earth guy!

Yeah he's been great to work with...he started off lessons by teaching me a very cool trick so I would have something to go home and show people and say "look at me, I'm a magician now!" and then we went back to the beginning and worked out an entire routine with patter and the whole bit, and even ended up designing a completely new form of a card stab as the finale. I'm sure a lot of students would love to just learn trick after trick, but Tony does what's right for the act and develops a routine. Sounds like Slydini meant a great deal to him...I was fortunate enough to have him as a guest on the podcast I co-host and listening to him talk about working with Slydini, it makes you realize what an extreme impact he had on his students.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
JNeal
View Profile
Special user
933 Posts

Profile of JNeal
One of the formative experiences of my magical youth was to see Slydini in his prime (around 1971) do his two hour lecture. I sat in the front row and was stunned by his misdirective skill and ability to choreograph his movements to heighten the magic. I stopped trying to do closeup magic the next day.

I learned a lot about what I needed to do onstage by watching him do closeup.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
436 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Thanks God he didn`t perform any stage magic that day Jonathan.
JNeal
View Profile
Special user
933 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I think that was compliment Bojanbarisic!

He certainly helped me to narrow my focus. I took away some really great memories and lessons about how powerful magic could be. His handling of the Han Ping Chien, the multiple cigarette sequence, the one coin routine, paper balls in the box, and Slydini silks were all very strong!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
Tony taught me to do the trick (1969) with two different color real silks to start with! The white nylon ones were so he had something to sell at lectures! (They were also supposed to look like men's handkerchiefs.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

I just posted another segment by the late Earl "Presto" Johnson. This segment is on his Slydini silk routine. Unseen footage since early 1980's. Earl uses handkerchiefs.
http://magicians.tv/earl-johnson-silk-segment/
This is segment 3 of 37 minute act. Other Johnson clips are on the left hand menu on that page.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20009 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Yesterday we received an order from a performing magician who uses only real silk in the Slydini Silks routine. There is really no reason not too.

(We have 21" like Slydini used but the 24", I think, work even better. They are both the same price ($5.00) and in colors as well as white.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
5603 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Bob,

I just got the silks, today. The quality is the best I've ever seen and the price can't be beat. They work better than the typical nylon scarves, in several ways.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
2561 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear Neznarf,

Maybe the dots are the best for poor lighting or a small sewn dot of the same color thread in all four corners. You'd have to keep the dots small and use a silky thread though because it might cause a problem with the workings of the effect.

I do know that two different color silks makes some of the "shows" for the slow motion knot release not very convincing.

You're not the only one, I have a friend struggling with this same problem.

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Slydini Silks (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.134035 seconds, requiring 74 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [8] [7] [8] [4] [7] [8] [1]