The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » The FCM & SAM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
I have been a member of the Fellowship of Christian Magicians for a couple of years. I am considering becoming a member of the Society of American Magicians as well.
Since I don't know all that much about the SAM, does anyone know of any conditions or principles that might conflict with Christianity?

Thanks,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Very good question Phill!

I do not belong to SAM or IBM, but know several Christians who belong to IBM, and one is President of the Local FCM so I would guess there isn't an issue there with IBM.

But I would now add that question to Phill's;

What about IBM?

Mostly I never bothered to join IBM because a number of the members simply offended my senses with foul talk with constant sexual inuendos, cursing, general rudeness and excess drinking. And I already am friends with the ones I respect, and since I can fellowship and session with them away from IBM, and we also have an active FCM chapter here, so I saw no benefit.

But now let me throw out another related question:

What are the benefits to a Christian magician of joining IBM or SAM?

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
I belong to both FCM and IBM and have belonged to the SAM in the past.
In answer to your question, there is nothing in the IBM or SAM that would cause conflict with your Christian walk.
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
139 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
Well, I have the opposite problem: I am a SAM member and I am considering joining the FCM! One benefit that I see with SAM is that it is a much larger organization and chances are you have better odds attending a assembly/chapter meeting close to where you live. The FCM website shows no FCM chapters in my home state of Maryland nor in the neighboring states of Delaware, Pennsylvania and Virginia. I will probably join the FCM anyway in order to get the magazine and link up with other Christian magicians in the area (maybe we can form a local chapter!).

As for joining SAM, I see nothing wrong as a Christian in being a member. Unless you are planning to become the next masked magician, you will probably not have a problem with SAM's principles.

Since most contact with SAM and IBM is usually through a local assembly, you will probably want to visit the local assembly to meet the members and see what it is like. I think this will be the greater reason for membership to either IBM or SAM than the principles behind each organization.

FYI: Steve Taylor, a Christian magician/ventriloquist, has a monthly column in the SAM magazine about kidshow magic.
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
If you are going to join SAM or IBM, why not take the time to witness to them? If there are foul mouthed members, talk with them, strike up a friendship and let them know of your interest. After you have gotten a long friendship with them, invite them to church. Take the chance, God can work through you in these types of situations.
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
I belong to both FCM and IBM and have experienced no conflict. I attend local IBM meetings, and feel comfortable with the membership. The IBM and FCM have similar statements or pledges not to violate the code of ethics of the magic profession.

By the way, Steve Varro, the current President of the Fellowship of Christian Magicians is an IBM member. He has posted on the Café a few times. It might be worthwhile to get his view on this.

To answer Bro David's question. The benefit for me is that

1) There are no local FCM chapters in this area and I enjoy the interaction, lectures and exchange of ideas within the local IBM chapter and

2) I find a lot of good material in The Linking Ring.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
We have belonged to IBM for about 6 years. We have belonged to FCM for about 2 years. I find no conflict in either. We gain quite a bit from both and if the details get worked out at the IBM convention we will be performing there and we are already slated as the headliner for the first night at the FCM convention. There are good things to be had with both organizations. I would recommend both.

Kevin
http://www.livingillusions.com
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Living in the Nashville, TN. area, I have the opportunity to first join the local FCM club through my association with Steve Varro. What a fantastic organization! I was a member of the local FCM for many years until I finally joined one the the local IBM chapters. I find no conflict with my Christian views since the local IBM I am a member of has many like minded folks like myself and even a couple of pastors. The experience of my duo membership has helped me greatly in my work as magician in the secular world and my work in childrens ministries. I believe the FCM has helped me to grow as a Christian entertainer and the IBM club has helped me technically, with my presentation skills, and learning new effects and ideas.

Yes, in the secular club, there is a problem with blue humor, bad language, and less than Christian behavor, but my dear brothers and sisters, this is the fallen world we live in. As belivers in Christ Jesus, we are to love and be a witness to these precious and valuable souls. Our Lord and Savior spent a good bit of his time with the unloved, the outcast, the adulterer, the thief, and ME. I humbly ask that we try to show the same compassion toward our fallen fellow brothers and sisters.

I think we need to join and be apart of as many secular organizations as we have time for and let His good and perfect light shine.

I was reading in a recent Christian Conjurer that Andre Cole had recently had some down time from the road because of back surgery. While he was recovering he went to an atheist convention (of all places for a Christian to go!). He found the people to be very nice and sincerely searching for truth. He had the opporuntity to talk and witness to many people in a non-confrontational manner. I am convinced he did more to further Christianity in that day of talking to non-believers at that convention, than I have in attending a year's worth of church conferences. God bless him.
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Thanks for all the input. I was thinking about the IBM as well. I will have to see where the closest meeting is for me.
I too do not have a local FCM chapter to attend. In Connecticut there are precious few members of the FCM.
Thanks again and keep the input coming.

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
hojeesum
View Profile
New user
Seattle
52 Posts

Profile of hojeesum
Hey There

I was wondering if you know if there is a FCM in the Seattle area? I tried emailing the person on the website some time ago and didn't get a response. Are they still around?
davejesc
View Profile
New user
David Juraschek
83 Posts

Profile of davejesc
See my post:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=42

The Magic Café Forum Index » » The good news! » » Fellowship of Christian Magicians

I'm interested in starting a just south of Washington, D.C. FCM chapter.

-Dave

I participate in my local SAM, belong to IBM and IMS, and see no conflict with membership in FCM and any of the other magic fraternities.

Just as with anything else, the focus of folks in the organizations other than FCM is generally not Gospel based, but my experience has been that the other reasons for these fraternities (to learn effects, encourage each other, critique acts, etc.) are just as valid. Granted, folks may have conflict with a Gospel message or intent in an effect, but they will still relate to you on the mechanics and presentation of the effect, and can help you to grow as an illusionist.

The big thing is like anywhere else, you'll have to see how your personality and your life convictions react with the folks in your local group(s).

-Dave
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I belong to IBM but not FCM because like some of you, there are no chapters near me.

In my local IBM ring, there is a great group of people, and I don't find an excessive amount of stuff I have a problem with.

A lot of them actually make a point of watching their language etc if they know I am within earshot, or will apologize after, so that's cool too.

The benefit? Like any magician...learning and making new magical friends!~
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » The FCM & SAM (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL