The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Foundations from Jason England & Theory 11 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not!
2286 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya!

This is a rare review for me. If you've ever read my Magic Friday column, you'll know that I never review an entire DVD. Usually, if I can find one effect on a disc that I can add to my repertoire, I'm pretty happy and, as a result, I've only reviewed single effects.

Jason England's Foundations, however, deserves a review in is entirety because of its fantasticity (I just made that word up) throughout! Also, as it's not a "tricks" DVD, I wouldn't be able to review it under my general guidelines and I really think that this disc deserves some praises.

I only wish I had this DVD ten years ago! Imagine having one of the world's greatest card men giving you 'the real work' for over three hours! Not only is Jason a card ninja but he's also an awesome teacher. And, unlike someone with ninja skills, he actually teaches things that I'll be able to do. I mean, I just learned the Centre Deal in only ten minutes! (Just kidding). I will, however, be learning The Diagonal Palm Shift properly. As well, my palming has already improved and I haven't even touched a deck after watching the DVD- just watching and, more importantly, learning, has already improved my skills. Priceless.

I'm a big believer in goals and it's one of my recent ones to fix some of my card flaws/laziness’s. My palming could use some 'touching up' (I'm being generous with myself) and Foundations is just the thing to teach me how to do all these moves correctly. For that, I'm thankful. It's also about time I learned how to deal Seconds- maybe that’ll be my second summer goal! I’m looking forward to it now that I’m confident that I’ll be learning the right away right from the get go. Sweet.

All in all, an awesome DVD that I only wished had come out earlier in my life. But hey, it’s never to late! Let’s get started...

10/10.

jamie d. grant
http://www.whatizit.net
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1554 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Jamie,

Fantasticy just about covers it.

I just got the disc a couple nights ago. I've plowed through the entire disk. It is without a doubt the finest material on the real work outside a book.

If you've ever wanted to learn real-world gambling sleight of hand from a world-class magician, this is the product for you.

Diagonal Palm Shift
Bottom Deal
Center Deal
Second Deal
Greek Deal
Push Through
Palming
MacMillian Switch

That's what's covered on the DVD. It is the longest magic DVD I've ever bought.

I think if you want to learn any of the sleights above, this is your very best bet in getting them down smoothly. I struggled with learning a bottom deal for years. I worked with the Maze book for eight freaking years. My bottom deal still looked lousy. One hour with Jason's DVD and I have made some serious breakthroughs.

Card dudes:

http://www.theory11.com

Go getcha some.

I am in no way connected with Jason England or Theory 11. Met England once. Who knew he was this darned good! (ok I knew)
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2925 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
What distinguishes this DVD from others on the market? There are too many choices.
Northern California
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4588 Posts

Profile of silverking
What distinguishes this DVD is the man doing the teaching.

Do a bit of research, and you'll find your teacher is somebody with some serious chops, who also has the ability to get students the information they need in order to properly learn the subject matter.

This is not true of all DVD's, and certainly not true of all teachers.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
4449 Posts

Profile of pepka
I picked it up at a lecture recently. LOVE it! Like Kent said, go getcha some!
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1235 Posts

Profile of splice
Quote:
On 2009-07-16 01:31, hbwolkov wrote:
What distinguishes this DVD from others on the market? There are too many choices.

That's a real laugh.

The greek deal on this video I haven't seen anywhere else. It opened a world of possibilities for me.

The MacMillan switch is badly taught in an old book, and taught well on an out of print DVD by (suprise, surprise) Jason England and R. Paul Wilson.

I don't see where the bevy of other choices is, but if you've got secret sources that teaches these, along with every other move here, and all that by one of the top cardmen today, well, all the better for you I guess. Somehow I don't think so though.
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2925 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
Splice,
No one can argue with your insight. Finding instruction for 2 of the many sleights highlighted on this DVD are difficult to find.
Northern California
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not!
2286 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi gang!

You might want to check this out...

TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2001 Posts

Profile of Tom G
This DVD sounds interesting. I do have a question. Having purchased a couple of Jason's Theory 11 tutorials (fantastic by the way), is this DVD all the same tutorials? Or have they been expanded on and re-filmed?
studentoflife
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
310 Posts

Profile of studentoflife
Quote:
On 2010-03-08 11:24, Tom G wrote:
This DVD sounds interesting. I do have a question. Having purchased a couple of Jason's Theory 11 tutorials (fantastic by the way), is this DVD all the same tutorials? Or have they been expanded on and re-filmed?

Same Smile
- Y
<BR>"Nothing is difficult...it's all about what you want, and how bad you want it."
oOMagiiCOo
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of oOMagiiCOo
Tom G and yif:

I am pretty sure that the dvd is compiled from the 1 on 1 videos from theory11. I don't think they have been refilmed
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Having the opportunity to attend one of Jason's lectures, and being a previous owner of Foundations, I have to say that Jason has taken my card work up a few notches in a short time.

Foundations is a perfect start for anyone who is interrested in getting into serious card handlings. I went from 1+ to 4.5+ on the 10 scale just from Jason's teaching within a half year of practice.

Now, I don't only collect playing cards, I actually perform with them. And, I can perform confidantly.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
CALENIG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
198 Posts

Profile of CALENIG
Great news just spoke to Alakazam magic in the UK and they are going to sell Foundations DVD. I will look forward to ordering this!!!
BigSmile
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of BigSmile
Any news about the next (second) Foundations DVD?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Foundations from Jason England & Theory 11 (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.161825 seconds, requiring 50 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [9] [6] [4] [1] [1] [5] [4]